Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
08 outback 2.5i
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

recently had both front axle boots replaced. now the driver side is leaking and the smell is driving me nuts. my first question, is this somewhat normal after a boot job? second, if it's not, can i remedy the issue myself?

for what it's worth, the dealership garage initially replaced the incorrect boot...can't seem to wrap my head around how that happened since the ruptured boot had obviously shot its wad all over the engine bay...

is it possible to botch a boot job? i mean, they already did it by not doing it...if that makes sense...but, i have zero confidence in my local dealership garage now.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,472 Posts
Any repair can be "botched", especially by someone who is learning on the job or just doesn't care.

Did it rip or is it leaking at the band? Either way, you should take it back to the shop that did the work and have them redo it. And keep redoing it until its right. 2nd visit with the same issue, ask for a loaner car.

·
Registered
08 outback 2.5i
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any repair can be "botched", especially by someone who is learning on the job or just doesn't care.

Did it rip or is it leaking at the band? Either way, you should take it back to the shop that did the work and have them redo it. And keep redoing it until its right. 2nd visit with the same issue, ask for a loaner car.
i don't think it is torn or ripped, but i haven't run my fingers around it...it appears to be leaking at the larger band around the green cover.

could this issue be cause by over packing the cv with grease...?

i'll inspect the boot closer tomorrow.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
band probably just isn't properly tightened, CV boot clamps and tools can be annoying to work with, mistakes aren't hard.

be nice, have them do it, it's under warranty and not that big of a deal...well except the annoyance of going in there multiple times and the thing stink bombing you...

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
They may not have used the correct boot. A generic boot won't work. Needs to be specific for the axle (3 indents in the housing that need to be matched by the boot).

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts