Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 limit leg back 2.5 4EAT
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dent in the copper sleeve would have to be bent back. Would this cause problems later if I didn't do it perfect? The pin is bent as well. The other axle was not damaged.

Maybe I can bend it all back good or just get an exchange and be patient and do the other axle some other weekend.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
That doesn't look too bad. It's a soft metal dust shield and you should be able to gently bend it back into shape. :29: Make the roundness as smooth as possible and it will be fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff! I'm going to put these on now and change the out the oil in the case. Hopefully there's no more vibrations.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a lot better now, there's only a little vibration at idle and smoother on the highway. I still get some vibration at low speed (25mph) and I checked the runout on the front rotors and it was .008 and min is .003 so I will be doing a front brake job next.

My EMPI axles (805511) are smaller (thiner) diameter shafts by .500 total.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
987 Posts
It also looks like the outer boot on the aftermarket axle is rubber and not thermoplastic (Hytrel) like the original.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't even notice that. Will the Hytrel just just be more resistant to failure?

I'm keeping the originals to rebuild later on. They were not popping just leaking and vibration.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
EMPI shipped the axle to you with the pin partly installed?

Mine had the pin taped to the axle.

They recently got sold off to another company - hope the quality isn't going downhill.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
987 Posts
I didn't even notice that. Will the Hytrel just just be more resistant to failure?

I'm keeping the originals to rebuild later on. They were not popping just leaking and vibration.
I believe it does hold better. I have a Dodge minivan with original Hytrel boots at 157,000 miles. Should I have to replace an inner boot on the Tribeca, I would leave the outer alone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EMPI shipped the axle to you with the pin partly installed?

Mine had the pin taped to the axle.

They recently got sold off to another company - hope the quality isn't going downhill.
I hope not. ... I actually needed to punch them in from the other side lol it bent back without trouble and the dust shield was no big deal either.

Guess I'm the guinea pig on the new company.:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts