Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 outback 4 cyl, mt
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick story about my 2007 OB with a happy ending that i share in case you have something similar going on...

Ive been noticing a slight humming noise while driving above 40. Nothing major and some passengers couldnt hear it. Driving me crazy cause I couldnt pinpoint it... But i could hear it just a little. I tried to tell myself it was just a little hum up on the roof rack, but...

So I lifted the car to check the wheel bearings. Spun the tires gripped hard and checked for slop. All seemed well. tried to diagnose by running down the road and doing some sharp turns to see if the noise changed...nope. I ignored it another week, but then one day i heard a new little squeel when touching the brakes. And that sound i could pinpoint as left rear.

It wasnt like a full-on classic pad squeak, but it got me thinking maybe its wheel bearing and now i know which one. So i replaced the bearing/hub. Even as i was doing it, i was thinking that this was a waste of time and money as the old one didnt seem wonky even with it off the car and me examining and spinning by hand.

Guess what? That was it. Noise went away. New bearing solved it. Sometimes you do get lucky.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,331 Posts
Hope you don't mind me sharing a story too...

Sitting at a stop waiting to get through road construction on highway 99 after scooping up some photography stuff off craigslist in Chico the other day I got the distinct wiff of burning lubricant. I had just done my rocker covers a few years ago or ~12k miles.. surely it couldn't be that. I put the car in the air to diagnose it..

The outer boots on both axles had failed but this side was the worst of it. I decided to disassemble the entire front suspension so I could clean it all up properly but dammit! The slightest bit of grease had made it to the downpipe.

Oh well.. gives me a chance to swap out those garbage mevotech ball joints. Less than 8k miles and they're already notchy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
An easy way to track down a bad wheel bearing is (if you have a lift), is to run the vehicle in the air and grab each coil spring. The side with the bad bearing will make the spring itself vibrate. A trick we use at the shop quite often.

·
Registered
2007 outback 4 cyl, mt
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, never would have thought of that and, as of two weeks ago, I DO happen to have a lift! Im still weeping tears of joy every time I put something up on it!

How fast do you need to go to diagnose the vibration? Just idling along in gear or do you have to have a second person up in the car pressing the gas pedal?

im sure OSHA loves this proceedure :)

·
Registered
2007 outback 4 cyl, mt
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[QUOTE="aesthetic.rake, post: 599648
The outer boots on both axles had failed but this side was the worst of it.
[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's a mess...and I know how you feel about messes :+)

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
618 Posts
Wow, never would have thought of that and, as of two weeks ago, I DO happen to have a lift! Im still weeping tears of joy every time I put something up on it!

How fast do you need to go to diagnose the vibration? Just idling along in gear or do you have to have a second person up in the car pressing the gas pedal?

Tiktok has some great #OSHAViolations videos!

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
75 Posts
An easy way to track down a bad wheel bearing is (if you have a lift), is to run the vehicle in the air and grab each coil spring. The side with the bad bearing will make the spring itself vibrate. A trick we use at the shop quite often.
Will be trying this! As soon as I get my lift I bought a month ago out of the boxes and setup....

·
Registered
12 Posts

Really depends on how bad the bearing is. Some can be felt at idle while on lift. Sometimes it takes someone getting it up to 45-55.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts