Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2005 a while back . Took it up the Mount baldy grade ( Los Angeles) to do some snowboarding and when I stopped at the parking lot I could smell oil ( Yikes )
Took it to my Subie Doctor and got the axle seal replaced on the left axle. Also had both axels replaced.
All Subaru rebuilt or new parts.
After the work I washed the oil pan and axle area with a pressure washer and removed all the residual oil I could see.
Its been around 750 miles now and I still smell oil when the car is stopped ( very slight smell) . I don't have any dips or any oil streaks coming down on the Y pipe now.
I haven't removed the wheels and did a through Inspection ( That comes tonight)
But, how long do you think the smell should linger?
Could be in the exhaust Gaskets have oil in them or maybe my cabin air filter has been saturated with the smell and needs replacing

Any insight or recommendations ?

as I said, this is premature I cant say the axle seal isn't weeping now

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,855 Posts
engine oil has a typical oil smell when it burns, transmission fluid is a thinner version of engine oil.

____

axle grease smells a bit odd and more nasty then engine oil, and I think diff gear lube will also smell that way.

if the work was just done, the thick axle grease and any other lubes or oils will take some time to burn off hot surfaces. no mechanic bothers to clean up after a axle job, more then a quick wipe.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,855 Posts
Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I would expect the smell to be gone by now.

Need to check and verify where the smell is originating from, it's a 2005 so there's many very likely possibilities.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crawled under the car today. Pretty good looking not anything that sticks out so its a seep if it is leaking . Its either the right axle seal is still leaking or the transaxle drain plug is seeping. The heat shroud still has old hard oil on the joints where those hose clamp objects tie each piece of shroud together
Don't know why I didn't take a pic today. I had the wheels of the front to inspect
thought about removing the shroud but the bolts/nuts are in real bad shape from heat and rust and I will most likely have to use a small grinder to remove the bolts
Need to get all the old oil out of the shrouds . tried a pressure washer .That got about 80 percent off

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Advice/Tips on removing heat shields from exhaust

I have a 05 outback that had an axle seal leaking

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/439922-axle-oil-leak.html#post5017338

It seems to still be seeping a bit. Not enough to make the same oil track on the heat shield at the Y but still has the smell. Its been five weeks sense it was changed out and Im still getting burnt oil smell.
So, in a last ditch effort to prove to myself its not residual oil still on the heat shield Im thinking about pulling some of the shield to clean it
The bolts/nuts have been deteriorated by heat and rust so what is the norm to remove?
Small grinder ?
Im I asking for trouble?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
984 Posts
Make sure it's not coming from the headgasket. My leak never showed up on the garage floor, just one drop occasionally that landed on the exhaust and stunk once in a while when I was stopped or in reverse.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
heat shield Im thinking about pulling some of the shield to clean it
I wouldn't touch it due to the prevalence and monstrosity the P0420 code can become. If you're not familiar with it google "P0420" or "Subaru P0420". I'd prefer to leave the exhaust, including the heat shield which also effects heat transfer and exhaust temps. Maybe not a big deal but for the benign task you're facing I wouldn't even consider it.

Those seals are directional so there's a right and left side - verify the correct one was installed. the face of the seal has arrows indicating the intended directional rotation of that seal.

The bolts/nuts have been deteriorated by heat and rust so what is the norm to remove?
Yes, cut/grind/torch.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,855 Posts
with the 4" lift you are going with, you might be out buying bigger meaner tougher axles anyway.
(those typically found on such subarus with 4" lifts).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with the 4" lift you are going with, you might be out buying bigger meaner tougher axles anyway.
(those typically found on such subarus with 4" lifts).

The 97 Legacy with a six inch lift went over 80k on a set of stock Subaru axles. I hope I get as good of luck because I just changed them out . With Subaru of course

1 - 11 of 11 Posts