Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my wife an 04 OBW and the front left outer cv joint is clicking. I almost put in an aftermarket shaft but luckily I found this site the night before and boy I am glad I did. So after looking around at the good options my goal was to pick up a used shaft and have the current one rebuild to await another issue such as a convenient swap out when a boot fails so I could reboot at my leisure. The problem is that I cannot find a shop in the western ny area that rebuild shafts. Not do any of the old time parts counter workers recall ever knowing one. So being handy I looked up procedures to rebuild the cv joints and felt it wasn't too difficult to accomplish. Except now I can't find a cv axle rebuild kit from any parts suppliers. Just can't seem to win here. I recall someone saying they cleaned as rebooted clicking shafts in the past with good luck but I can't find that post again. Any ideas? I know of the mwe axles but would live to get it done myself an save the loot.

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
202 Posts
"Don't belive the hype" regarding the fearmongering over aftermarket axles...

Yes you can get a bad one out of the box...but I've replaced a couple including a much maligned "Cardone" from the local AZ(about 20K ago) with no problems.

The reman NAPA axle(my recommendation) I just bought for $50 was actually a Subaru core, and as expected, works well. Still had the green, round inner cup and OEM ID...no doubt there! You may have to "pick" through the ones at your local NAPA, as they may have remans of different cores in the inventory. I kept MY Subie core($12) and rebooted it.

If it were just a torn boot, it's worth rebuilding...Once it starts making noise, it's more than likely got "issues" which aren't worth the time or effort to repair.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts