Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5-speed Manual Transmission
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front axle needs to be replaced and my mechanic is charging $370. Does this seem high to you? I am a newb here so be gentle. Also does it really matter if it is genuine Subaru Axle?

Thanks!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
I has wagons.
12,299 Posts

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
My front axle needs to be replaced and my mechanic is charging $370. Does this seem high to you? I am a newb here so be gentle. Also does it really matter if it is genuine Subaru Axle?

Thanks!
Yes considering that the axle will probably cost him $75 or so(if not at the dealership)...and take (including break) about 30min to install.

Plenty of threads devoted to this.

I've had good luck with NAPA Subaru core remans. No funky vibrations and run about $50 or so.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,950 Posts
seems high but, labor rates vary across the country, there are axles that range in price from 50 or $60 or so to , I dunno, over $200 I'd guess for OEM new.

also, is there any other work like an alignment involved?

from reading many posts, the best results are undoubtedly Subaru axles. Either new or properly rebuilt. many complaints with typical rebuilts. Either immediate problems or early failure.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts

Thanks!
Find out if he is going to use an Remanufactured Axle from Subaru, thats around $200. Whats his shop rate? Around here its around 80 to $90. Book time is more than 30 minutes it might take him. If its a genuine part, 370 may seem like a lot, but he's not ripping you off.

I dont think you will find someone to do it for the $100 after market part price plus 30 minutes of labor.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,174 Posts
Denver Market/Dealer

I paid $376 for a Subaru Re-manufactured axle and labor ( about 1/2 for each) at a local Denver dealer...not hurting for service business. That comes with a 1 year/12K mile standard Subi service work warranty. I consider this to be the higher end of repair cost due to the market and lack of competition.

If you are not getting this type of spec'd. repair/warranty. Then you better be in CA, Boston, or a NYC like market. (Where people too much money, not enough time and most not enough sense) I have lived happily in all. Otherwise %20 discount at least. But do not sacrifice the reman axle spec. That is crutial.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,174 Posts
BTW,

Subaru still offers reman axles through Subaru. You can't find them on any websites, you have to ask your dealer. I found this out just today when I went to my go-to parts guys at Mike Shaw Subaru.

Dealers only list new axles on their websites. Dealers only replace axles under warranty with new OEM axles. But, if customers come in with a dealer repair out of warranty, they use OEM remans. We have all been under the impression these no longer exist.

They do, I assure you. I ahve 2 on order. Unfortunately there is currently a very long wait time. One month to 6 weeks currently in the Denver market. But this is good news for the community. I get wholesale pricing from Mike Shaw. That means $178 with a $40 core charge. But this "mystic unicorn" does indeed still exist. No More Cardone new/reman or BS aftermarket sh*tty new, for those who want it. These are genuine OEM reamns. You just have to ask your local dealer parts guys.

Sometimes the inside track pays off, I am sharing the love.

:love:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts