Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited With EyeSight - First Subaru
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just finished B service for my 2016 OutBack, and it cost me $480 at a dealer in Calgary.
Any idea to pay less for schedule services (A, B, C) but still acceptable by Subara Canada for warrant?

Thanks.

Shane

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,286 Posts
@substars, You just have to prove you have done the required maintenance. I do all of my maintenance, I take a photo of the receipt and supplies and print it out to have a hard copy. On the print out, I'll write down what I checked/topped off. I do buy my oil filters from the dealership, this way they still have a record of maintenance (presumably I will be doing the OC since I buy the filters).

I did do 2 years of maintenance at the dealer because I got a cash card when I bought my car. I could justify the $100 for the oil change (A service), but B service was A with lubing brakes as I recall? The added cost was not worth it, especially since I do my own.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
Find a good independent garage ! it should cost you about $100 for oil change and tire rotation. All the other items in B re inspect only, good mechanics will not charge you extra for checking fluids inspection.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
You purchased a marketing tool and got maintenance.
You want to purchase maintenance.

In the US here is how it works, though you might find this hard to believe:

1. Buy a "30,000 mile maintenance package".

or

2. Look at your Subaru owners manual/maintenance requirements and ask the shop to perform the necessary items for 30,000 miles.

The price difference between those two scenarios can be astonishing. The first is a marketing tool, it's helpful to the organization and it's helpful to customers who don't want to think about their cars at all. If you have a few seconds and capacity you can choose option 2 and avoid the over priced marketing campaigns.

Nowhere does Subaru ever say "You are required to perform services A, B, C, or 30,000 or etc....". It's very easy and inexpensive to achieve your warranty required services without buying those marketing tools.

The service advisors might persuade or steer you to them - but thye are not required at all, nor do they actually provide you any additional service, though they'll try to sell it as if it does.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech & Eyesight
48 Posts
@substars - $480? Haha. That sounds like Subaru Calgary to me. Don't feel bad, I will be going in for the same service in March 2017.
Interestingly, their Service Advisor told me I can skip Service B (and do Service A again) and maintain the warranty since my km is so low (Service B is 20,000 km - I'll be around 13k) and do Service B once my KM catches up.
I don't mind paying $105 for a synthetic oil change at dealer but add $380 for:
-Tire rotation
-Remove, inspect, "service" the brakes
-Test coolant and inspect hoses and clamps
-Inspect and replace air and cabin filters.
OUCH. For that price, I hope they will have to replace the air + cabin filter.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
@Overcomer and @substars: Wait until you get to their "C package", basically the OC "A package" and add what they call brake fluid flush and inspect CVT and diff fluid levels - $680 or so. I went in for the wiper recall work and got a call that they could do that work since the car is already in the bay, it's "only" 680 I was told....
I don't trust they'll properly flush the brakes. I did the diffs last month and I know they are good and full. I have some brakes to replace and will flush then.
I did ask how much just to look at the CVT fluid (for some reason, I am loathing doing that) and he didn't have a price for that, seemed reluctant (too cheap of a job with no padding I guess).

Also to your last comment, air and cabin filter replacement costs are extra.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech & Eyesight
48 Posts
@mjohnson & all Calgary Subaru owners: Calgary Subaru wants to charge $1200 for for Scheduled Maintenance "D". :)

Y'all gonna love this...
Schedule "D" is "Schedule A" ($105 for synthetic oil change + inspections, top-ups, lubrication, etc) + the following:
1) Rotate tires
2) Remove, inspect and service front and rear brakes
3) Test coolant, inspect hoses and clamps
4) Inspect engine & air cabin filters - replace if necessary (parts included I was told)
5) Replace spark plugs (include parts)
6) Replace transmission (I'm going to think it includes CVT fluid) and differential fluid
So that means items #1 to #6 costs $1095 bucks!!!!

The upside is I still have 4 years to save for this ;-D

Cheers

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
For that quote, it better include parts! Maybe it was a C package they were talking about since there was no mention of spark plugs. The plugs are a PITA to change I hear, so that's probably why they ramp up the cost (you'll pay whatever ransom if you really don't want to do it). Not impossible to DIY, just tight as heck and harder if you're vertically challenged!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring Package
2 Posts
My "Schedule A" oil change in Edmonton for my 2015 3.6R cost me $170 today (tax included). Will probably start doing my own oil changes from now on ...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R ruby red, 2020 WRX Sport magnetite grey metallic
158 Posts
Also saw how much the stealership charges for their services and I concur with what was already said. It's outright ridiculous. That's why I do my own maintenance. Unless it's something major I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. Also, doing your own maintenance does NOT void the manufacturer's warranty. Just keep logs, the new models have a neat way of doing that in the infotainment system, so you always have it with you.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My "Schedule A" oil change in Edmonton for my 2015 3.6R cost me $170 today (tax included). Will probably start doing my own oil changes from now on ...
I don't blame you! And the 3.6 takes the cheaper conventional oil, right?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
Yes but use synthetic for optimal engine performance (according to user manual)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yes but use synthetic for optimal engine performance (according to user manual)
I'd say hopefully synthetic is used for price charged. When I used to get this done at the dealer, pack A was $100 out the door for synthetic. $70 more for 1 extra liter of oil is a lot.... Prices must have gotten jacked up.

Packs C, and D were as I recall 650, and 1000. Wonder that they are up to now?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
I don't go to the dealer and ask for A,B or C. I ask for oil change and then we go from there. If they suggest something that needs to be done I will ask why and how much it cost and I will agree or not.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
Coming from someone who's not mechanically inclined - I was told "You need a B Level service @ 20,000 km." And stupid me agreed to it. Once I had the chance to sit down and look it over ... thanks a bunch Rally Subaru (Edmonton) for smartening me up mighty quick! That's the last time I do that. Mental note: ask for an oil & filter change only, not a service level. Ugh.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
A B C? You mean like what Mercedes did? Oh my... save your self thousands $$$$ read your owners manual the Manufacturer service items are the only items you need to do. Negotiate only those items nothing more with your dealer. The only costly service items with your car are Spark plugs, and cvt fluid service. $180-240 ish
Brakes are basic any shop can do those. No trailer towing or heavy loads you should easily exceed 60,000 on the brake pads.

At 30,000km you basically paid $480 for a $60 oil change. You might consider filing a complaint with your local Consumer protection agency

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Touring 6MT, 2014 GSW TDI 6MT
89 Posts
20k km 'B' service done at my local garage who detailed everything they did on the work order and filled out the log book cost me $109.55.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Convenience (Cypress Green)
6 Posts
Ya I seem to recall getting gouged almost $500 for a B service here in Saskatoon too. That was 3 years ago and Subaru has not seen my car since!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts