Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2003 outback wagon and I'm about to give it a nice 2in lift and I was wondering if anyone knew if the B9 Tribeca cv axles would be better to use than the stock outback ones, maybe they are a tad bit longer? I tried searching but I couldn't find anything on the length difference. Just wondering if anyone had any information to enlighten me with. If not I might just go with baja springs all around for a while, I just don't want to be changing cv axles more than necessary.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We have 40,000 miles between two cars with Baja springs, and one with 3/8" spacers too; neither has CV issues.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of baja springs with either 1/4in spacers or 1/2 spacers. I just discovered the passenger cv boot has a small tear in it, but either way I will be giving the outback a healthy lift sometime this or next month.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no one has any information on using the B9 tribeca suspenion on an outback? I was thinking that is the cv axles, control arms and all that stuff was longer then you could use it on an outback with 2+ inches of lift without the cv axles not being at an extreme angle. Just a thought though.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The overall compressed lengths of the front axles
Outback:
26.81"
PN: 28321AE07B

B9:
32.43"
PN: 28321XA00C

They both have 25 splines on the inner and 27 on the outer.
Problems to resolve:
-Confirm cv inner splines match (male vs female) to differential.
-Verify ABS reluctor wheel count and diameter/location on shaft.
-Confirm outer splined shaft length is same for axle nut
-Among others

That all being said, changing the length of the shaft wont affect any angles.
You would have to move the position of the transmission within the chassis to do that.
All you would be doing is changing the relative position of the inner plunge joint in or out of its working range.
Or modify the suspension control arms to the longer B9 version/custom made.
Which would really mess up front camber/caster.

My best guess is even if they fit they are far too long.
The inner plunge joint would probably be bottomed out badly during suspension compression.

I run Baja Springs + 1" HDPE spacers I machined.
Haven't run into any issues with my front CV's, I keep a close eye one them.
Yes the angles are more significant but nothing extreme.

If you already have CV's that are beginning to wear in some way, lifting the vehicle will only make them much worse; torn boots, worn joints, noises, ect..

Start with good axles before moving forward.
I don't expect to change my axles anytime soon, they are Subaru OEM parts.
Even after I rebooted them about 20,000 miles ago, they are still fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the information! And I only have one cv boot that was torn, and it was just a small rip. from the looks of it I will just get the baja springs and possibly 1/2in spacers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
RCR46and2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing