Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 2.5i Limited. Still getting used to the Subaru systems as this is my first. Had a strange thing with the back doors but I assume I just need to know how it works. Have the kids in the back in car seats and after driving to our destination my wife and I get out. When we go to the back doors they are locked. But our front doors were not when we stopped. Its not a child lock thing, I don't think, since that is about opening from the inside not the outside. Am I missing something where the back doors don't unlock when stopped?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Bought a 2018 2.5i Limited. Still getting used to the Subaru systems as this is my first. Had a strange thing with the back doors but I assume I just need to know how it works. Have the kids in the back in car seats and after driving to our destination my wife and I get out. When we go to the back doors they are locked. But our front doors were not when we stopped. Its not a child lock thing, I don't think, since that is about opening from the inside not the outside. Am I missing something where the back doors don't unlock when stopped?

Seems like a quirky Subaru thing which occurs now and then. I have a 2018 Touring 3.6R. Mostly the rear doors automatically unlock when we stop and get out. But not always. I think others have experienced this as well. Not a big thing to then have to push the button to unlock from the drivers door button, but I agree it’s odd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a quirky Subaru thing which occurs now and then. I have a 2018 Touring 3.6R. Mostly the rear doors automatically unlock when we stop and get out. But not always. I think others have experienced this as well. Not a big thing to then have to push the button to unlock from the drivers door button, but I agree it’s odd.

Changed the locking/unlocking behavior from the default speed/front door open to going in and out of park. Figured maybe the front door open wasn't triggering correctly or something. Otherwise loving the car and the features.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,812 Posts
There are probably 10 different permutations of auto locking/unlocking doors. Reading the manual is the surest way to understand the system. I miss the days when car systems could be figured out without manuals, but those days are over.

Consider, for example, the rear gate emergency entry code. Setting that without the manual is basically impossible. Further, you will need the manual every single time you change the code.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
593 Posts
Not sure if it’s a settings thing, but noticed if one of us opens the door before the car unlocks it does not unlock the rest of the doors. My wife encounters the same issue if I hop out before she puts it in park the doors remain locked from the outside and she has to manually unlock the rear doors to get her purse.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,812 Posts
Not sure if it’s a settings thing, but noticed if one of us opens the door before the car unlocks it does not unlock the rest of the doors. My wife encounters the same issue if I hop out before she puts it in park the doors remain locked from the outside and she has to manually unlock the rear doors to get her purse.
Yep, settings. The manual explains it better than I can. Plus, in your examples, it is not clear where the doors are being opened, where the fob is, etc. That all matters and makes the car behave differently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats why I changed mine to lock/unlock on going out/in of Park. I figure no one should be opening a door while in drive/reverse. I haven't had the issue pop back up yet.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
23 Posts
Had this happen today again. I get out of front and go to open a back door. It's locked. I have the fob so I click the unlock button on fob and it doesn't do anything. I have to open the front door again and click unlock on the door. So annoying.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
52 Posts
I've noticed a similar quirk. I have my car set to lock on speed and unlock on shifting to Park (this is configurable via the center gauge cluster menu with the engine running and the car in park). If I have a front passenger, and they open their door BEFORE I shift to park, then it doesn't trigger the central locking to open the car. If I instead shift to park first (or I think if I open the driver's door, but I've not tested this fully), then all the doors unlock as expected.

If your locking is still set to open on driver's door (which I think was the default on delivery), try change it to unlock on Park. And either way, test and see if it still happens if the driver's door is the first door opened... yes it's silly, but once you figure it out it's easier to work around.

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
367 Posts
I find the rear doors or manual lift gate being unlocked is a crap-shoot. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. A car full of surprises. Hopefully, after 4 months of ownership, I won't find many more. One thing is for sure, the next time I buy a new car, I will insist on a full day of "test drive". No more "10 minute" nonsense.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
I find the rear doors or manual lift gate being unlocked is a crap-shoot. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. A car full of surprises. Hopefully, after 4 months of ownership, I won't find many more. One thing is for sure, the next time I buy a new car, I will insist on a full day of "test drive". No more "10 minute" nonsense.

I agree it’s hard to explain this rear door unlock phenomenon. My experience has been like yours. Nearly always works right (unlocks as it is supposed to) except that now and then it doesn’t. When I think of all the other things I like about the car, this little quirk hardly registers. Let’s face it, for all Subaru does right, I find their several little quirks amusing and no serious bother. Now, about that wimpy horn . . .

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
246 Posts
Hummm . . . I will have to test these scenarios out - so far after four months no weird door locking/unlocking.
Definitely when I stop, put the car in Park, and get out the back doors unlock - I know this because typically when I go to the store and buy just a few items I put them on the back seat. When I get home I put the car in Park get out and open the back door and I have never had it not be unlocked - so I am of the opinion putting the car in Park may have something do with the back doors unlocking. But I will try a few different scenarios.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts