Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Premium, Red/Tan, Weather Pack., a few little bells and whistles.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and are back to owning a Subaru after 4 years, we just pulled the trigger on a 2013 Outback Premium w/CVT, all weather pack and a few little toys. We do quite a bit of camping and tow a roughly 1800lb utility trailer on occasion so we needed a vehicle that could handle mud, snow, and dirt roads while not needing to stop at every gas station it saw. My Quad Cab Dakota handled everything I ever threw at it, but it never met a gas station it didn't like and it was starting to get a little too friendly with my mechanic.
The OBW fit the bill pretty well on paper and we really liked the 04 Forester we had(totaled in an accident). We looked at quite a few other similar sized and equiped SUV/Crossover type vehicles and the OB won pretty handily when we took everything into consideration.
We had a pretty tough list of requirements for a vehicle, it had to be AWD, be able to tow the trailer, not want to stop at every gas station it passed, ride and handle well, and be comfortable for 6'2" and 5' tall drivers(harder than you might think).
I'll pick up the car next week and in the meantime I've been looking at some aftermarket toys to spend the rest of our income tax refund on. Trailer hitch, some good all weather mats, seat covers, and I've been reading threads on towing to see if I want to do anything on that end.

·
Registered
2013 Premium, Red/Tan, Weather Pack., a few little bells and whistles.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! don't get the factory all weather mats, they have poor coverage. I only Used mine a week and replaced with the Weathertech digitalfits. Much better, see link
2013 Subaru Outback | WeatherTech FloorLiner - car floor mats liner, floor tray protects and lines the floor of truck and SUV carpeting from mud, snow, water and dirt | WeatherTech.com
They are the ones I am looking to get, I really like the full coverage as compared to the factory ones. I also found a place that makes nice custom neoprene seat covers so I won't end up trashing my seats in six months. Mud is cool when it's on the roof but not when it gets ground into the seats and carpeting.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
They are the ones I am looking to get, I really like the full coverage as compared to the factory ones. I also found a place that makes nice custom neoprene seat covers so I won't end up trashing my seats in six months. Mud is cool when it's on the roof but not when it gets ground into the seats and carpeting.
Nothing you can add to the list to change the towing ability. 45,000 miles on ours tows 21ft racing sailboat 1700lbs - max legal trailer width - and just a hair taller than the roof line on the OB. 16mpg 70mph with head winds - 60-65mph no head winds we see 21-23mpg occasionally. Sill way better than the Land Cruiser at 13-14mpg which is closer to the old Dakota ;-)

Our tent trailer is a 4x6 utility trailer 900lbs heavy built for ATV transport. 12ft long the top of the trailer is about even with the bottom of the rear hatch window. Packed to the gills with some crap stacked on the trailer we see between 21-25mpg. The trailer width and wind drag I think is the large factor in that weight range when it comes to mileage. Our tent trailer is about 5ft 6inches hub to hub so it sits behind the OB doesn't really stick out in any manner which I suspect is key for the mileage. Power has never been much of an issue with the 2.5 - watch your cooling / running temps in hot 90+ degree summer temps and climbs. I have not found the limit yet with ours but my prior 2.5 MT I found its cooling limits many times long before power was ever a problem. So just keep that in mind. The CVT has a series of temp light indicators on the dash review your owners manual for how to read them.

As for towing behavior of the CVT - I really like it fantastic at keeping the car in the power and the right gear etc. Use the paddle shifters on the down hill runs to help keep speeds checked works great no complaints. If your doing any low speed steep hill climbs example the boat ramp - drop it into manual mode on the gear selector this will keep the CVT locked into the lowest ratio till you say other wise. In AT mode it likes to ramp up the Ratio and will give you the same type of experience if you were to shift a manual transmission into 2nd at the wrong time nearly stalling the car but the CVT will catch its mistake and drop back right about the time your thinking uh oh... LOL -- So far so good. No complaints

1 - 4 of 4 Posts