Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at possibly buying a 2017 or 2018 Outback 2.5i.

I have three boys (17, 14 and 7) who would be sitting in the back seat.

When I test drove a 2018 I was surprised that the middle seat in the back had a very hard cushion behind my back. This was because it is a fold down cup holder tray in there.

Can anyone tell me if your passengers complain that sitting on that pad feels like sitting on a board or if all your passengers avoid that seat like the plague?

Also, Is it possible to remove this fold down tray and put a pillow of something more comfortable in there?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
I've been looking at possibly buying a 2017 or 2018 Outback 2.5i.

I have three boys (17, 14 and 7) who would be sitting in the back seat.

When I test drove a 2018 I was surprised that the middle seat in the back had a very hard cushion behind my back. This was because it is a fold down cup holder tray in there.

Can anyone tell me if your passengers complain that sitting on that pad feels like sitting on a board or if all your passengers avoid that seat like the plague?

Also, Is it possible to remove this fold down tray and put a pillow of something more comfortable in there?

Thanks for any feedback.
My standard reply when asked how many people my OB holds...
4 Adults, and 1 tiny person. The tiny person to me would top out at around 5 years old before things become uncomfortable for the 5th. Just my opinion. I think for short trips three 17 year olds who like each other could ride in the back without great difficulty. Three 30-somethings would really dislike a long trip back there (again my opinion).

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
My standard reply when asked how many people my OB holds...
4 Adults, and 1 tiny person. The tiny person to me would top out at around 5 years old before things become uncomfortable for the 5th. Just my opinion. I think for short trips three 17 year olds who like each other could ride in the back without great difficulty. Three 30-somethings would really dislike a long trip back there (again my opinion).
To me, it's a 4 seater. I would not torture someone by making them sit in that middle position.

In my opinion, Subaru currently has nothing to offer a family of 5.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
272 Posts
I have 3 children. 14 11 and 7. The younger two fight over the middle. The oldest doesn't want to be touched by the other two, he prefers a window seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses

We currently drive a 2012 Subaru Forester but it is getting somewhat crowded in the back seat. I think the Outback may have a slightly wider back seat that might help alleviate that somewhat.

Since my oldest son is 17 and starting his senior year, has his driver's permit, etc I don't think this will be an issue for much longer anyway.

I'm thinking I might be interested to take the tray out and put a softer pad in there instead. I haven't seen anyone on the internet talking about that so I don't know how hard it would be.

Again thanks to those who helped with their experience.

Todd

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
The hump in the center floor is brutal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts