Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we're back to the 08 now...

So the PS pulley sheared off my 08 2.5i Outback 45 miles from home, and I was able to make it home without alternator, as i had to remove the belt.

I got a used (91K miles salvage) PS pump for $60 with pulley, as I thought it would be cheaper/easier than rebuilding the old one and I don't know if it can be done. The shaft had all the notches worn off. I'm assuming the numb nuts that replaced a motor used it for a lift point...

Anywhoo, the **** thing is making noise, a lot of noise, and I don't know if maybe I got a bad pump or what. It is hard to turn, it "gets stuck" at certain points, as in you have to use a bit more pressure to turn it if say locked going straight. NOt easy to turn the wheel, noisy, etc. I have put about 20 miles on it, done side to side turns, etc...

I have also noticed that it seems to have "overpressured" ??? the system, as fluid has leaked around the elbow on top, as well as overflowed the reservoir. I'm trying to get this car ready to possibly trade or sell...LOL...

Could I have possibly gotten a bad PS pump? I noticed I can get a reman for around $100 give or take, but thought this might have done the trick, since I havent' hear of PS pumps failing that often (other brands at least).

Rack was replaced when I boutht the car 2 years ago.

I have perused this thread which gave me a little help, but not curing any issues.

Any clues? Wanna buy it? LOL

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did you bleed the air out of it? The bleed procedure in the FSM is very specific.

Your PS issues sound an awful lot like air in it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Fluid leaking around the pump certainly sound like it has an air leak due to the infamous O-ring going. Or maybe due to something worse.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you bleed the air out of it? The bleed procedure in the FSM is very specific.

Your PS issues sound an awful lot like air in it.
That's what I'm thinking. I need to put it up on stands and do it properly. Might also get a new elbow and gasket, incase it's letting air in. Lastly might just get a remanufactured unit, and learn my lesson on salvage parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
power steering that year is super annoying, lots of issues and repeats are not uncommon.

replace the oring, make sure the suction line end clamps are tight on the hose, and get all the air out.

make sure the hose isn't so brittle that the clamp isn't really squeezing it tight and making it air proof.

i'd replace the oring every time on one of these, it's just not worth the headache for how problematic the oring, lines, and pump are on that year.

it's not overpressurizing it's just too much air and foaming up.

get all the air out of the system and see where you're at. i just turn them lock-to-lock a bunch of times and make sure the reservoir is topped off before any driving/sloshing out. they can be insanely loud as youre bleeding so we really don't know if it's air or another issue.

it woudn't be a surprise for the oring or pump to be problematic on that year.....they're that bad. i want to start converting them to 00-04 power steering they're such a mess. or i guess just go buy all OEM pumps and hoses for $500. LOL

·
Registered
969 Posts
power steering that year is super annoying, lots of issues and repeats are not uncommon.

replace the oring, make sure the suction line end clamps are tight on the hose, and get all the air out.

make sure the hose isn't so brittle that the clamp isn't really squeezing it tight and making it air proof.

i'd replace the oring every time on one of these, it's just not worth the headache for how problematic the oring, lines, and pump are on that year.

get all the air out of the system and see where you're at. i just turn them lock-to-lock a bunch of times and make sure the reservoir is topped off before any driving/sloshing out. they can be insanely loud as youre bleeding so we really don't know if it's air or another issue.

it woudn't be a surprise for the oring or pump to be problematic on that year.....they're that bad. i want to start converting them to 00-04 power steering they're such a mess. or i guess just go buy all OEM pumps and hoses for $500. LOL
Were 09's an issue as well or was it isolated to the 08 MY? My 09 pump is kinda noisy is why I ask.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's what I'll be picking up today, O ring and perhaps the plastic elbow just for fun. The old pump worked well until the pully decided to come off, and in the process smoothing out the splines on the PS shaft. No amount of duct tape can fix that. LOL. Unless I can take the shaft off the new ish one and put n the old one. That's not worth a $100 reman one.

And I assume if oil can get out at the o ring, air can get in, and it's just an endless cycle until its fixed..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Were 09's an issue as well or was it isolated to the 08 MY? My 09 pump is kinda noisy is why I ask.
yep, same garbage power steering. they're simple at least, and ideally toss a new OEM unit on with new hoses and orings and wash your hands of it for the life of the car. a new OEM pump price often deters that. or go used or aftermarket and figure there's a good chance you'll need to replace it again which ends up sucking time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
idosubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing