1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Cross Traffic Alert Sensors !!
(sensor, blind spot monitor)

My 17 OB got rear ended a few weeks ago. Initial estimate $1800. Rear bumper was replaced. Sensors were aligned at Subaru. Had problem with sensors. Car returned to body shop as additional damage was found. Body shop repaired damage and sent car back to Subaru. When Subaru took off the sensors, there was heavy corrosion on the back side metal area and attaching bolts. New sensors were installed and aligned. Car was returned to body shop. I talked with the owner of the body shop today. He said that he talked with Subaru and they said that because of the corrosion being a big problem, The sensors are being replaced on cars under recall. I saw the old sensors and yes there is major corrosion. Pretty shocking. New sensors maybe with alignment was about $1,100. Bumper has to come off to replace sensors.
Just sharing this information so others can have their cars checked out.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts
I will make a long story short. My 17 OB got rear ended a few weeks ago. Initial estimate $1800. Rear bumper was replaced. Sensors were aligned at Subaru. Had problem with sensors. Car returned to body shop as additional damage was found. Body shop repaired damage and sent car back to Subaru. When Subaru took off the sensors, there was heavy corrosion on the back side metal area and attaching bolts. New sensors were installed and aligned. Car was returned to body shop. I talked with the owner of the body shop today. He said that he talked with Subaru and they said that because of the corrosion being a big problem, The sensors are being replaced on cars under recall. I saw the old sensors and yes there is major corrosion. Pretty shocking. New sensors maybe with alignment was about $1,100. Bumper has to come off to replace sensors.
Wow that is crazy. Man is that a lot of money for a rear bumper collision, not including the sensors.
I wonder if this issue is in certain climate areas? Do you have any pictures of where the corrosion is at? You say it's on the back metal side area, do you mean where the sensor module mounts right below the tail lights, or perhaps where the hitch mounts to the frame?
That way we can see if our cars have this issue too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the bumper cover is removed the cross traffic alert sensors can be seen. They are two boxes maybe 4"x4" on each side about level with the energy absorbing portion of the bumper. The box is black plastic with an aluminum back cover. 4 attaching screws connect the plastic with the aluminum. There is at least one hole which connects the sensor to a bracket which then is attached to the body. The aluminum cover and screws have the corrosion.

When the collision happened the bumper cover was damaged. The bracket that held the sensor was bent into the body. The body seam where the bracket was was cracked. That is why one of the sensors could not be aligned.
I would think the aluminum on the sensor could be treated to prevent corrosion That is not an area I am an expert on though. I don't know if this is a all out recall, a silent recall or a tsb. I pick up my car tomorrow from the body shop. It looks perfect. I do have to wait a month until the paint "cures" before the additional undercoating I had put on is reapplied to the damaged area.
I am glad that I saw this kind of early corrosion on a one year old car. More reason to wash the car every week in the winter.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
671 Posts
I will make a long story short. My 17 OB got rear ended a few weeks ago. Initial estimate $1800. Rear bumper was replaced. Sensors were aligned at Subaru. Had problem with sensors. Car returned to body shop as additional damage was found. Body shop repaired damage and sent car back to Subaru. When Subaru took off the sensors, there was heavy corrosion on the back side metal area and attaching bolts. New sensors were installed and aligned. Car was returned to body shop. I talked with the owner of the body shop today. He said that he talked with Subaru and they said that because of the corrosion being a big problem, The sensors are being replaced on cars under recall. I saw the old sensors and yes there is major corrosion. Pretty shocking. New sensors maybe with alignment was about $1,100. Bumper has to come off to replace sensors.
Thanks for the info. It's been off & on raining here for the past month. Sometimes it downpours & then it's just drizzling. Anyway after a downpour night I tried to do a back up U-turn out of my driveway. As I was backing out the RAB went crazy, stopped the car & then shut itself off twice. This might explain the reason why that happened to me. I'll have to let the service dept. know what happened even though it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,074 Posts
Wow that is crazy. Man is that a lot of money for a rear bumper collision, not including the sensors.
No it isn't. My 2011 sustained $3,000 in damage from a rear-ender, and it has NONE of the tech the newer models do. Most of that damage was hidden, the liftgate wasn't touched.

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT1997 Legacy Brighton 2.2L 5MT
33 Posts
When the bumper cover is removed the sensors can be seen. They are two boxes maybe 4"x4" on each side about level with the energy absorbing portion of the bumper. The box is black plastic with an aluminum back cover. 4 attaching screws connect the plastic with the aluminum. There is at least one hole which connects the sensor to a bracket which then is attached to the body. The aluminum cover and screws have the corrosion.
... I don't know if this is a all out recall, a silent recall or a tsb. ...
Aluminum, ok. Corrosion of aluminum plate + attaching screws makes me wonder about galvanic corrosion, which is an electrolytic reaction between two different metals in the presence of an electrolyte (such as salty water). Aluminum next to another metal is particularly prone to galvanic corrosion, especially if there is any stray electrical current running around. If the screws are not aluminum (more expensive), and there is some way that salty water could reach the back of the box, that might explain how both the aluminum plate and the screws corroded in a year-old car. A simple design problem that would be easy to correct and a TSB would make sense.

My experience with this is on ships and I would be interested to know if others think it is plausible in cars. Or am I reading too much into this.:nerd:

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
2016 OB, rear-ended about a year ago. $6k in damage, they had to replace the lift gate. Bumper, etc. but the sensors were okay. No corrosion noted by the repair guys. I'd definitely be curious where you live and how much salt they put down on your roads! I live in PA, they salt pretty heavily here but like I said, my car is fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Maine. They put this liquid brine crap on the roads. They spread it before it snows as well as during plowing. It is cheaper than other choices and super corrosive. It does keep the roads pretty clear. A vehicle's life is only about 12 years if that. I guess that is why many people lease vehicles. It is also why my other 6 cars stay inside 7 months of the year.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's been off & on raining here for the past month. Sometimes it downpours & then it's just drizzling. Anyway after a downpour night I tried to do a back up U-turn out of my driveway. As I was backing out the RAB went crazy, stopped the car & then shut itself off twice. This might explain the reason why that happened to me. I'll have to let the service dept. know what happened even though it hasn't happened again.
My OB does that almost every single time I back out of my driveway. I have to back at a creeping pace to keep it from locking up the brakes.

All this talk about corrosion has me thinking I'm glad I live in the south where salt is rarely needed on the roads. Not unusual to see 20-30 year old cars running around without any rust at all. A bigger issue is UV damage or hail damage from severe T-Storms.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
597 Posts
I posted before that a rear end collision fixed the issues with my sensors always slamming on the brakes when in reverse. Don’t know if it was corrosion as I didn’t see it. The total repair bill was just under $900. Most of it was the bumper cover, paint and labor. The sensors were only $25 each. VERY cheap part which doesn’t surprise me that they fail.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have in my possession the old corroded cross traffic alert sensors. I saw the Subaru bill to the insurance company. Just for the two sensors, price was $900+. The dealer charged about $280 to change them. Three bolts on sensor to bracket and three bolts bracket to body each side. and align them with the bumper already off ! Body shop took it off. This minor accident will end up costing the other parties insurance company about $3600.

Got the car back and everything operates and looks like new. Tomorrow the car goes to a Toyota detail shop. A local tire shop grease monkey chose not to put a cover on the seat before rotating the tires. Grease is over the door panel, arm rest, console, seat and steering wheel. Tires shop manager is paying for a complete interior detail at no charge to me. About $179 value.

All this to say, have your cross traffic alert sensors checked for corrosion. You may be able to get new sensors under some kind of recall. Especially vehicles used in rust belt country.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
597 Posts
I have in my possession the old corroded sensors. I saw the Subaru bill to the insurance company. Just for the two sensors, price was $900+. The dealer charged about $280 to change them. Three bolts on sensor to bracket and three bolts bracket to body each side. and align them with the bumper already off ! Body shop took it off. This minor accident will end up costing the other parties insurance company about $3600.
It doesn’t sound like we are talking the same part. The RAB sensors, there are 4, two in the center and 1 on each end. They have have two different part numbers. They are attached to a harness that runs along the inside of the bumper cover. There are no bolts. They attach to clips “sonar holder” that clip into the holes of the bumper cover. The R&R labor for each is .1 hours per the “Motor Crash Estimating Guide” used by almost every body shop and every adjuster. Perhaps the part you are referring to is the Radar assembly used for the Rear Cross Traffic Alert(RCTA) aka the blind spot detection? There are two of them and they do bolt onto the subframe behind the bumper cover on each corner.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
597 Posts
Oh, while I had my receipt out. For the bumper itself the break down was as follows for the repair, exclusive of the electronics.
Bumper cover $260
Tow eye cap $15
Paint $198
Paint Labor $260
R&R Labor $90
Total $823
It doesn’t include tax, shop supplies and fees.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stand corrected. Thank you . So they are the " Rear cross traffic alert sensors". I just made corrections within the messages.
The actual wording on the sensors are : sensor, blind spot monitor.

Numbers on the sensors ( same number for each side)
87611 AL01A
A2C75133701 SRR2-A

1 - 14 of 14 Posts