Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2008 Subaru Outback which unfortunately does not have any frame around the windows.
We take our dogs almost everywhere we go. Our usual practice has been to leave them in a shady place with the windows partially open.
This has worked very well until we got our newest dog who is part whippet. She is small and able to fit through a partially open window.(She jumped out, while we were in a parking lot, to chase a squirrel she saw.) We need a way to keep the windows open enough for the dogs to be comfortable but at the same time making sure they can not get out through the window.
I found something called a "Breeze Guard" but it won't work because the outback does not have a frame around the window.
Any ideas?:help:

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
+1 to the harness idea. It has the added benefit of protection in case of an accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. We do have harnesses for both our dogs, however she was in the harness when she literally shot through a 1/2 closed window ripping out the stitching on the strap of the harness.
She went so fast it was unbelievable! You would have thought there was nothing holding her back! I think we need something against the window which is super strong!

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Get a cargo barrier and put her in the back.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
Wow she's a pistol! Mine are dirt dogs that live to dig so they are kept in the back behind the barrier and on the plastic tray. The problem is keeping them inside once you even open the back slightly, so longer trips with frequent in and out require a wire cage in addition to the barrier. A cairn terrier will bolt to kill a squirrel or rat without thinking about training, self preservation or locale so we have to keep it in mind all the time. Don't know about whippets, but they may be a sight hunter as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts