Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'05 XT Outback Ltd Wgn, 2 tone silver..
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my 05 XT limited outback couple of days ago now i want to get the windows tinted. The question i have has anyone had any problems with the back window that is tinted with the rear glass de-icer melting or bubbling the back tint??.. one of my co-worker had that problem had his rear window tinted turn on the de-icer and bubble his tint (no it was'nt on a subie).

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I'm considering tinting, too. This is one of my concerns... well, the only worry, really! Already checked a web page showing what the legal tint amounts are.

If anyone is interested in current info, see:

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/consumer_info/auto_statelaws.html

Wondering now whether or not my OBS is a MPV (multi-purpose vehicle), which I'd say it must be. But what do I know of legalities except to watch out for them. :)

·
Registered
H6 Ltd My 02
56 Posts
A top quality film will not be damaged by the turning on of a demister grid. Crappy film maybe that is of dubious quality and non-reflective (dyed) in construction.

What might occur though is an interruption to the AM radio signal if you have installed metalised films. FM should be fine however. (I'm assuming the USA Outbacks have rear antennas built into the rear screens like ours downunder.)

When you come to think of it, peak summer days produce enormous heat into rear screens because of the angle of the sun to the glass and it would definately be far more there than generated by an electrical current.

Rob.

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Tinting back window

I have a 02 outback wagon . I have had my windows tinted now for 2 years . No problems to speak of . I have the 3 M limo tint . I had it professional installed it cost about 150 to do all the windows except the front 2 .

Mike in South jersey

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
in many states it's not an issue unless you're tinting the 2 front windows; in some it is. many of em have their statutes online (IMHO, in this day and age, this shd be a prerequisite for enforcement!). run search for "window tint".

one other consideration is that if you have a rear-looking radar detector like a Valentine 1, metallic tint will interfere with reception, acc to V1 o-manual.

the only issue with demister grid is that you better get tint choice and appln right the 1st time cuz it can be hellacious to remove without destroying the demister grid. speaking from miserable experience....

altho i'm an extreme DIYer, the rear hatch glass on at least the OBS is a curve, possibly compound, that is a real bear to fit film to. i might let a pro do this job.

post photos!!:)

·
Registered
H6 Ltd My 02
56 Posts
CP,
Metal impregnated automotive window films can affect the proximity your remote key entry may work at and GPS/Sat Nav, TV only if this is built into the rear BG at time of manufacture.
In the case of the OB's, it's only the AM radio....well at least in Australia.

Films in need of reinstalling can be quite successfully removed by using a wallpaper steamer and a skilled professional tinter with good years of experience. This should never be a problem unless you tried it yourself and hit it with a blade.:(

I'd never try doing an OB rear without experience. You might get it in one but you'd lose count of the creases if you tried it yourself.:mad:
Internal secret splicing is the go on the grid line but that's not for the untrained either.

Later,
Rob.

·
Registered
2002 OBW Limited, 2.5L 4 Cyl, Auto, 140k Wintergreen Metallic
21 Posts
I had a pro tint all the windows except the front in my '02 about 2 yrs ago. He used a product guaranteed not to bubble (sorry, don't remember the brand.) Never had a problem with bubbling.

·
Registered
2001 OBW Limited Stick
133 Posts
I installed tint on my sides and have one of those rectangular see through screens with suction cups at he corners, for the back window. Hahaha

At least I can remove it in the winter for clear visibility out of the back.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
76 Posts
I have all windows tinted, done by a professional with 3m product....no problems with the rear defroster....If you do it you will be super happy....

·
Registered
2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
102 Posts
I had my previous car tinted. 2001 Audi A4. It was a pro job and was guarenteed not to bubble or discolor. It looked great with the exception of the rear glass where the film could not stick exactly right to the defogger lines. The result was that a night there was a reflection along the defogger lines whenever there was a car behind me with thier head lights on.

Has anybody had a similar problem on the OBs or was it specific to the Audi I had?

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R Wagon
294 Posts
My '06 Outback has had 3M tint on all windows including the rear for 3 1/2 years.
No problems with the rear defroster.
It may have reduced the AM reception somewhat but not anything that was noticable to me. I also own a V1 radar dectector and have noticed no reduction in its performance.
If you have a quality tint applied professionally, you'll have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro
981 Posts
You can have choice of metallized or NON-metallized tinting ... the Non-M types won't do any interference of GPS, radio, cell phone, amtenna etc.

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R Wagon
294 Posts
My tint is metallizied because I was told that it works better than the non-metallizied films. Even so, I haven't noticed much difference in my radio reception, or my radar detector and GPS sensitivity. I think the key is to get a quality tint and have it applied professionally (unless you are adept at doing that yourself).

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited
180 Posts
i had a '95 Corolla tinted in '00 with top of the line 35% Formula 1 film .. no color changes or bubbling in the 10 years since. :17:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts