Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a friends 12 Outback Premium I noticed that he has a backup camera that displays in the rear-view mirror (just like the one in my Tacoma).

I noticed that my wife's base model (with the preferred option package) 2013 Outback appears to have the same mirror (auto-dimming with compass), but no backup camera - does anyone know if it's possible to add either an OEM or aftermarket backup camera to this setup? Is it likely that the wiring harness is already in place for the backup camera?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Mirror needs the live power from the sun roof harness. I recall the camera is wireless and runs off the back up lights power. It wouldn't be difficult to swap out the existing mirror with the back up camera set up as long as you have the power.

Contemplated this about 2yrs ago ours is a 2010 no back up camera limited model. At the time the mirrors were in high demand and cost a pretty penny. Haven't looked recently.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I'm not sure that the camera is wireless. I didn't pay attention when I added the aftermarket one for the Kenwood but I thought a few others had traced the harness. I would think that the wiring would be easier to run during the build process rather than deal with a fussy wireless connection. It would only need three wires, power ground and signal positive since signal ground can share chassis ground.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
There are quit a few aftermarked mirrors out there. If you don't have luck with your stock mirror you might want to check out those. I think I will do that in the summer. But my mirror doesn't have anything electrial right now so I have to run all new wires for the project...

This is what might fit your needs:
Hot Selling 1pc/lot new 4.3" Car Rear View Mirror Monitor with Driving Video Recorder with 4G TF card,Car DVR Monitor (OE435MR)-in Car DVRs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts