Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2006 Outback wagon. I want to install a new double-DIN head unit to get bluetooth and backup camera capability. Where do folks who add a backup cam typically locate the camera, and how do you route the wiring into the cabin to connect it to the HU?

TIA!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tailgate, above the license plate , below the wiper motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tailgate, above the license plate , below the wiper motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He would still have to run wiring unless his car has the navigation. Which isnt hard to do. Takes about 1 hour or so. When I installed mine which is a license plate mount, I routed through the rear garnish and inside the hatch, then through the passenger side grommet. Wasnt easy access to the driver side grommet. Pulled the rear plastic cover for headliner and ran down to driver side and down the back pillar, and along the whole side/door seal area. Up around the obd port to the back of the stereo.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Agreed. If you want a lower mounting like on the bumper, you could route the cable the spare tire wheel well. There is at least one grommet ( i think there are two) that pops out. This was used for the Hitch electrical hook up plug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great!

Another question: my head unit has wires for brake and reverse. Brake is supposed to lock out viewing pics and vids on the screen unless the parking brake is engaged. I assume reverse is to trigger the backup camera.

Where do you connect the brake and reverse wires? Rumor has it you can just ground the brake wire to the chassis to avoid the screen lockout (I won't be watching stuff when driving anyway), so I might just do that. But where should the reverse wire be connected?

TIA!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great!

Another question: my head unit has wires for brake and reverse. Brake is supposed to lock out viewing pics and vids on the screen unless the parking brake is engaged. I assume reverse is to trigger the backup camera.

Where do you connect the brake and reverse wires? Rumor has it you can just ground the brake wire to the chassis to avoid the screen lockout (I won't be watching stuff when driving anyway), so I might just do that. But where should the reverse wire be connected?

TIA!
The e-brake wire from ur head unit , u need a parking brake bypass to make it work, only three wires, power, brake wire signal and ground. U must do it, otherwise u will have a hard time to control ur unit when driving. Not only a video playback, some function will not be available to control when vehicle is in motion.
The reverse wire need to hook up to the back up camera harness, the hardest part is just wire the RCA cable from the tailgate to the front. The RCA cable will provide a power wire need to connect to the reverse light wire at the tailgate, when u put it in reverse there will have 12v power to power up the camera and signal to the head unit. There is a lot of video on youtube.
Hope this help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody can share the brand and type of doubledin radio that been successfully installed?
I installed a BOSS BV9386NV on a 2009 OB. My car has manual heater/AC control panel; the digital one would have been easier to install. I bought it at BestBuy last year for about $190.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts