Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through countless threads, so I'm hoping I am right in my conclusion.

I have a bad wobble on the car.

I just bought a 2001 Outback 4 speed with 154k miles. The driver side axle boot was torn, so I replaced the axle with 1 raxle axle. However, before this there was/is a bad shake on the car when accelerating, which I thought was the driver side axle. The driver side was OEM. I checked the passenger side axle, and it's aftermarket, which I believe to be the culprit. When I turn hard left I also hear some knocking, which sounds like it's going with the turn of the wheel.

After dropping the car back down from the axle change everything felt good. However, I drove it for about half an hour and the wobble came back little by little.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,569 Posts
Cheap diagnostic test: Rotate tires front-rear, see if anything changes.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Wheel bearing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a separate note, the transmission slips when turning only. Not going in a straight line, but when I'm turning either way it will start slipping and then it catches. RPMs will go up to 1500, and once I straighten out it catches back on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, for anyone interested, I just changed my passenger side axle, see pictures below. I bought 2 axles from raxles.com, expensive, but worth it. Man, this car rides so smooth now. The job itself wasn't too bad. I also changed both ball joints as they were worn pretty bad.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
Alright, for anyone interested, I just changed my passenger side axle, see pictures below. I bought 2 axles from raxles.com, expensive, but worth it. Man, this car rides so smooth now. The job itself wasn't too bad. I also changed both ball joints as they were worn pretty bad.
you want to upload those to anything other then photobucket? ...imgur,...flickr, ......ANYWHERE else?

no one can even click on those anymore and view them without you paying them money for something every other photo storage site does for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts