Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Forester.

Those dang parking lamps. They like being lit. Won't quit. Cut off their supply, I say. So I disconnected the battery when I got home.

First thing comes to mind is a bad headlight/parking lamp switch, of course. Just when I dont have time to dig in to that. Maybe it is something else?

So, I thought I could put a switch on one of the battery cables as a temporary fix because work is so dang busy. At least until the weekend, it is a relatively easy temporary solution which will work for sure. But would that cause problems? I dont care about clock and radio, but what other functions are affected? Would I risk brain damage ?

I'm gonna have to re-connect and disconnect battery just to get to work in the morning anyway.

*MacGyver* suggests lengthening a battery cable (negative/ground cable I guess) by about three feet or so, out front by the grill, with a switch there, so I dont have to open the hood each time. Or maybe longer, into the cockpit cabin area. Or maybe a pull-chain type switch by the battery with the chain or string leading into the cabin. :surprise: (MacGyver's on a roll)

Any help is appreciated, please and thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited w/all the goodies. 2013 Outback Limited (sold)
177 Posts
There's a switch on top of your steering column just for keeping the parking lights on all the time. At least that is where it is on the older Outbacks.

It can get bumped easily if you reach to zero out the trip A/B counter.

Check that out first before you go any further.

A quick search on Google gleaned this small vid:
https://youtu.be/-iAkO1H_ZqU

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a switch on top of your steering column just for keeping the parking lights on all the time. At least that is where it is on the older Outbacks.

It can get bumped easily if you reach to zero out the trip A/B counter.

Check that out first before you go any further.

A quick search on Google gleaned this small vid:
https://youtu.be/-iAkO1H_ZqU

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Thats probably it, I will let ya know later,

Thanks plenty !!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay- so what's the story for the parking lights ONLY working via the switch? That's the only way I can control mine; the stalk dial switch doesn't seem to effect their illumination...

(Multiple times, I've killed my battery or forgotten to turn them on at night meaning no tail lights. Yikes!)

(And sorry if this repeats a known question or is considered hijacking)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
What year and model do you have?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I assume this condition is due to all the lights going off with the key. If you want lights without the key on, you activate the column top switch. Ive not had a car that does this before...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I assume this condition is due to all the lights going off with the key. If you want lights without the key on, you activate the column top switch. Ive not had a car that does this before...
I recall it had something to do with a weird gov requirement in one or two of the country’s they sold into and it was more cost effective to just build all the cars with it.

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
Okay- so what's the story for the parking lights ONLY working via the switch? That's the only way I can control mine; the stalk dial switch doesn't seem to effect their illumination...

(Multiple times, I've killed my battery or forgotten to turn them on at night meaning no tail lights. Yikes!)

(And sorry if this repeats a known question or is considered hijacking)
2002 limited wagon
To summarize (my understanding):

When the headlight switch is turned to either of the two "on" positions, the external clearance and tail lights (aka parking lights) don't turn on. Inside, the instrument panel lighting, and the lighting for switches and other controls on the dashboard etc do turn on. However, if the separate Parking Light switch on top of the steering column is turned on, regardless of whether or not the headlight switch is off or on, the outside clearance and tail lights do work (but risk being left on when the car is parked).

If my understanding is correct, then there's a good chance the Parking Light switch on the steering column is faulty -- failing to make an internal connection when it's off.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
To summarize (my understanding):

When the headlight switch is turned to either of the two "on" positions, the external clearance and tail lights (aka parking lights) don't turn on. Inside, the instrument panel lighting, and the lighting for switches and other controls on the dashboard etc do turn on. However, if the separate Parking Light switch on top of the steering column is turned on, regardless of whether or not the headlight switch is off or on, the outside clearance and tail lights do work (but risk being left on when the car is parked).

If my understanding is correct, then there's a good chance the Parking Light switch on the steering column is faulty -- failing to make an internal connection when it's off.
All of this. Yes.

Reading, PDF, meow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts