Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been hearing some noise for like 4 weeks now. Here are some symptoms:
1) The noise is not there when the car is cold, only hot.
2) It is pretty clear not engine sound. At highway speed it is obvious
3) It is also very obvious when I let off the pedal, at reasonable speed (40-50 mph)
4) It is continous.
5) I cannot describe the sound, but like another loud car next to me
6) I cannot identify the location of the noise when driving.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
Depending on the year model, you either have to have a press or it's bolt on. The rear hub assemblies are bolt on for all model from 2000 USDM SOHC models up. Bolt on fronts didn't come around until 2005 USDM.

Pick the wheels up, turn it while holding one hand on the spring. The offending bearing will make the spring vibrate. You may even hear it.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
3) It is also very obvious when I let off the pedal, at reasonable speed (40-50 mph)
It's obvious because:
1. the reduced engine noise makes it easier to here?
2. or it gets louder when you let off the pedal?
3. is this an automatic or manual transmission?
4. what year/vehicle are we talking about?

6) I cannot identify the location of the noise when driving.
If it's very obvious you should be able to tell which corner it's coming from. listen carefully.

Hit the rotor closest to the hub with a temp gun and compare both fronts and both rears. Is one hotter than the other?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys!

I will do some of the testing like vibration and temperature. @cardoc, what is the string you are referring to? Is it the suspension big coil spring?

My car is 2000 OB auto. The noise is more clear because the engine sound is less when pedal is released, not the noise is bigger.

Also, checked on this forum, people seem to always replace the hub as well. Is it necessary?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Also, checked on this forum, people seem to always replace the hub as well. Is it necessary?
Nah, they don't. They are replaced if the bearings were run bad for an excessive amount of time and damaged the hub or a previous bearing installation pressed them improperly and deformed it.

2005+ bearings include the hub as part of the bolt on bearing assembly, yours is a press fit bearing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a temperature measurement. Not much difference between the two fronts and two rears. Maybe I didn't drive long enough, about 5-6 miles. Will try again.

Having no press this gonna be painful if have to do the front.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I have had some really bad wheel bearings and they never got hot.
Only one ever got loose, and that one was so loud I had to wear ear plugs to drive it!

If it gets quieter and louder on turns, sometimes when the outside one gets quieter, sometimes the inside (happened to me).

Only way I figured out 100% which it ever was before it got loose was to put it on 4 jackstands and pull all 4 wheels and put it in drive and let it idle and check each spindle with a metal rod held to my ear (mechanics stethoscope).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
bike2work
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing