Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're taking a road trip to FL in a couple months and I'm trying to get the Outback ready. Traveling with my wife, 1 year old twins, and our dog I don't have much space inside the car. So my Yakima loadwarrior and extension are on the way! I'm still debating on the hitch carrier...

But what I really want to know is any of you use weather tight bags to carry stuff on the exterior? if so what brands would you recommend?

I purchased a Rightline Gear 100D90, but had it leak like crazy when I sprayed it with the hose.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,696 Posts
We're taking a road trip to FL in a couple months ...
Sorry, I can't help with your bag question, but FYI: Expect transient thunderstorms, some of them quite heavy, almost any afternoon, anywhere in Florida in summer.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
116 Posts
We're taking a road trip to FL in a couple months and I'm trying to get the Outback ready. Traveling with my wife, 1 year old twins, and our dog I don't have much space inside the car. So my Yakima loadwarrior and extension are on the way! I'm still debating on the hitch carrier...

But what I really want to know is any of you use weather tight bags to carry stuff on the exterior? if so what brands would you recommend?

I purchased a Rightline Gear 100D90, but had it leak like crazy when I sprayed it with the hose.
Oh man! I bought one of those in May. Didn't think to test it for leaks. From where did your's leak?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,121 Posts
if anyone finds dry bags expensive vs. how much they are used.

heavy duty 55 gallon 2.0 mil trash bags kick butt, ...and when you are done with your trip,...still make for a good garbage bag for garbage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a couple of SeaLine bags for my trips
Thanks, I'm going to have to check these out! What size did you go with? I'm thinking a few 50L should do the trick...

Several folks on this forum have recommended these in the past https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042H6BA0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_h8.DzbRN8N8RS
Thanks! I've been looking at the Rola large bag for the roof, but am still undecided. Part of me feels the individual bags may be easier to load/unload. I'll look more into this one!

Expect transient thunderstorms
To be honest with you, I hope we hit something... With all of this work I hope to test these bad boys out! Granted if it gets crazy, we're not on a specific schedule, so we can always pull over and wait it out.

Oh man! From where did your's leak?
I really wanted to like them! My wife laughed at me when it arrived. She said it was like Christmas for me... Mine appeared to leak form the ends of the zipper. I noticed on a couple of their other bags, they have rubber molds that cover the ends of the zipper which may work. In some of the reviews they said the side pocket could possibly take in water, which was also my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My input probably isn't helpful, if you've already decided on/purchased a roof rack (Loadwarrior). But I recommend a cargo box. We bought a Yakima SkyBox for our 2013 Outback when we relocated from SoCal to Denver (with side road trips to Nebraska and Missouri during the same period), and it was (and remains) a fantastic purchase. We weathered (pardon the pun) several major downpours/thunderstorms, and it never leaked once.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Ltd
76 Posts
I agree with a Yakima or Tule hard box. My Tule has never leaked nor caused any problems at speed with cross winds. I think it cost 1 mpg.

As for more room inside, the dog should be kenneled. It is not a vacation for a dog, they slow you down, limit your access to attractions where pets are not allowed, and even a small dog requires a lot of space.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited + Eyesight
13 Posts
While I've never used these on a car, I have ridden around the world with my trusty Ortlieb Rack Pack bags strapped to the back of my BWM R1200 GS Adventure. I've ridden in heavy, multi-day torrential rain storms without a drop of water ever penetrating the bags. I've also ridden in temperatures ranging from 115º to 5º and from blazing sun to snow, sleet and small hail and they've performed flawlessly. I've even had them survive several international long-haul flights as checked baggage and they are still going strong.

They are roll-top design bags with very sturdy fabric and really strong handles. For security, I run a locking cable through the handles. While I wouldn't leave them on the bike (or on your roof) overnight, that system was always enough to deter "grab and go" thieves during meal stops, sightseeing and other short stop situations.

Adventure motorcycle people the world over trust Ortlieb. While not cheap, I've used mine for more than 5 years without a hitch. They are also pretty good as luggage, so you could purchase a few in different colors and assign them to each family member, or sort by gear, or whatever.

Related side note - I'm a person who travels 48 weeks per year for work, so I'm pretty organized when it comes to being on the road. When my wife and I travel we take minimal gear / clothing / etc. and SHARE a single small roll aboard (for flights) or duffel (for road trips.) That's the biggest help of all. On the super rare situations where we need more than one bag, we try to figure out what we'll need / wear for the first part of the trip and put it all in one bag, then the rest for the other bag. That way we're only dragging one bag from the car to wherever we're staying. When it's laundry time, we can move to the other bag and wash everything in the first bag, then alternate back and forth as needed. Again, rare, but a thought that might help a family since you have a lot more stuff to schlep in and out.

·
Registered
2011 Tribeca Limited w/50K
92 Posts
I purchased a Kuat rack for my Urabus. The reason I went with that one is because it had built in fork mounts for the bikes. That was a huge deal for me so I don't always have to take the hitch mount rack...ok enough of that off shoot...

I have a Thule bag that I bought 5 or more years ago. It's been great with no leaks whatsoever. It has 2 zippers and they come together and Velcro. While I haven't been in serious storms, I have been in somewhat hard rain with it and no problems. It was only around $100 and totally worth it for the extra room. We are a family of 5 with a dog and many bikes. I've stuffed the bag to it's limit it seems at times, and it's been great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,442 Posts
Whatever you get, tie it down tightly.

We were driving on the interstate through a construction zone, speed limit was pretty low at that point and down to a single lane. It finally opened up and people started accelerating around all the semis. There was a Grand Cherokee with a large duffel on top in front of me in the left lane. We got around a semi in the right lane and he pulled in front of the truck. As I pulled even with the Jeep's rear bumper, I noticed I could see daylight between his duffel bag and the roof. At I pulled even with his front bumper, the duffel let go. II could see it explode against the grill of the semi. Socks and underwear everywhere. The Jeep started to slow and I could see the driver checking his mirrors. He must have figured there wasn't much he could do about it so he sped back up and kept driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Curt 18221 Roof Bag

I bought a Curt 18221 Extended Roof Rack Cargo Bag from Amazon.

I am very happy with it. No driving rain while it was on our '11 Outback but it has heavy duty zippers which are covered by flaps. It has plenty of straps which is what I used to secure it to the roof bars.

Dry bags are nice but if it's something you'll only use once or twice a year, this might be a cheaper alternative.

I was considering getting two smaller bags and putting them sideways, but this was enough for us. I fit two large suitcases, all our beach stuff and still had room to put some smaller things in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with a Yakima or Tule hard box. My Tule has never leaked nor caused any problems at speed with cross winds. I think it cost 1 mpg.

As for more room inside, the dog should be kenneled. It is not a vacation for a dog, they slow you down, limit your access to attractions where pets are not allowed, and even a small dog requires a lot of space.
My original plan was to use a hard box, but I decided to go with the rack for more of an off-road use down the road and maybe even hold my spare until I can get the Wilco offroad mount. We'll sadly be getting a minivan within the next year to replace our other car, so that will probably become our trip vehicle.
Our dog is definitely going. He's getting up there in age and loves going in the car. We don't really plan on making many stops along the way, besides rest stops and our 1 night stay in Biloxi. He's the main reason I'm driving. My parents have some land so he enjoys chasing the squirrels and running around the pond looking for fish.

I really appreciate all of the responses I've received and people's personal experiences with some of the bags. I guess I have some comparing to do...

Please excuse any typos as it is almost 1am, its been a long day, and I'm trying to type this on my phone.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium Tungsten/Black
86 Posts

No, No Don't leave the dog behind :laugh:

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
116 Posts
Okay, I tested my Rightline bag with both spray and submersion. The velcro is the main water seal for the main compartment zipper. When I was sloppy sealing that, water did get in. Also, if I depressed the top and let water pool around/over the closure it would also leak in. Finally, if I sprayed water directly against the velcro, I could force it through. For my application, across rear of roof rack, none of the simulate any real world conditions I am likely to encounter. If I do find myself with rains driving against my back, a strip of tape most likely will secure the weak points of the seal. Interestingly, I was not concerned about the side pocket as I intend to only use that to store the straps, but it proved more water resistant than the top closure. Still, as these are marketed as 100% waterproof, I am contacting the company. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
116 Posts
Wow! So, I sent the pictures that were requested, and just got off the phone from speaking with a warranty representative at Rightline. They are maintaining that this is not a warranty issue and that the bag is performing as it should. The bag needs to be completely filled, so that the top closure is the highest point. If there is any depression at the top, water will leak in. They admit this. They maintain that this bag, a bag that is sold as 100% waterproof (not "water resistant") is performing as designed while leaking. The rep kept repeating that it is not "submergible," despite my explaining that, for the test I ran, I used a shower sprayer and ran it over the bag for 5-6 seconds - far less than driving through any rainstorm. It's not a matter of it being submersible or not, the closure leaks. And, again, we were back to their admission that the closure is not designed to keep out water, but the rest of the bag is 100% waterproof! Jimminies!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts