Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i guess i'm the only one that owns a Baja out there.Stick this Forum with a fork,cause its Done.:(

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
What was that all about ... jeez, I'm sorry we failed you in whatever way.

But as Emeril would say, "If you don't like it, get your own show!" Seriously, if you can't find a Baja group to your satisfaction, then start one.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,118 Posts
Well at least this forum has made a valid attempt to reach out to Baja owners and enthusiasts, I have yet to see to many others trying...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I have a Baja. A MY03 PSM beast. This thread is quiet because there aren't many Baja's on the roads, let a lone looking for an internet club. So, what are the real #'s for Baja's in the states? For '03, '04, '05? Anyone? Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I just figured that a Baja would be as welcome as any other variant of the OB. Shoot, we have sedan owners here, and nobody gives them trouble.

And I wasn't kidding when I said start your own group if you can't find one you like.

Meanwhile, I'm still happy with this forum as it is developing. It is finding its own voice and flavor and it's not a year old yet.

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 1995 Subaru legacy sedan LS and 2005 Subaru Baja Sport.
17 Posts
Potential baja buyer

I am thinking about getting an 04 or 05 baja next Spring/summer.
is there anything other than the obvious open bed I need to know? I have a 97 Outback (160,000 miles) and a 95 Subaru Legacy LS sedan (170,000 miles).

It seems like the Baja would be handy for odd jobs the Outback can not handle which happens every so often for me, but not enough I would want to get a pickup truck for.

I love my Subaru and can not think of any other car I would want besides another Subaru.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I wish they had a 2-door variant with a longer bed.

Maybe someday ... aren't they working on a 7-passenger SUV? Maybe something on that platform.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Longer cargo bed

I heard a rumor that they might introduce a 7 passenger vehicle, but I also heard that 06 might be the last year for the Baja. I think a longer bed would be a great idea. It would make it easier for me to decide either the Outback or Baja

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
gonna reveal my ignorance yet again, i fear. i didn't think there was that much difference between reglr OB and Baja? abt like the diff beteeen a Malibu and El Camino? ie, nearly everything forward of the C pillar and most of what's below the belt line is identical.

if so, at least as far as maint, mods, and most everything except for tailgate-esque issues wd be the same as reglr OB, yes? or am i very wrong on this??

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
Re: Longer cargo bed

GrimmReaper said:
I heard a rumor that they might introduce a 7 passenger vehicle, but I also heard that 06 might be the last year for the Baja. I think a longer bed would be a great idea. It would make it easier for me to decide either the Outback or Baja
The 7 passenger is coming out in 06-production lines are already up, and they've shipped in the molds. I know some people that have seen the body.

As far as I know, the baja is to be continued through 07 at least.

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Longer cargo bed

Luke_Monroe said:

The 7 passenger is coming out in 06-production lines are already up, and they've shipped in the molds. I know some people that have seen the body.

As far as I know, the baja is to be continued through 07 at least.

Have you heard anything new on the Baja getting the platform,or is it gonna ride out on the current platform.Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I heard a rumor from another forum that Subaru intends to have the 06 Baja use the updated Outback platform.

·
Registered
03 Baja Regatta Red PRL
1 Posts
It's rare to see a Baja. In fact, I am on the "other" Baja board, and there is no one near me with one. Well, there is someone in town that has one, and it's the same color. I have been looking for it (saw it at the dealer 9 mos ago) just to see what options he/she has. Also, if something happens, we both need to get our story straight. LOL A club would be nice, but I fear I will be the only member in Memphis. Well, I have a wife and a dog, so I won't be the ONLY member.

·
Registered
Obsidian Black 2005 Outback 2.5XT 5 Speed Wagon & Brilliant Silver 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon 5MT
174 Posts
It's official. Baja gets the axe after MY06. Too costly to bring it onto the MY05 Legacy/Outback platform. Still too costly to bring it up to speed with current safety features. Sad, really. Cool little vehicle. Not exzctly practical for most, but neat nonetheless.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in VT where Subarus are incredibly popular... and even up here, I think I've only seen about 3 on the road EVER. I don't swing by the dealer that often but I don't believe I've ever even seen one on the lot now that I think of it. I don't see any reason to axe the forum, but I just wouldn't get optimistic about getting any further critical mass, given how obscure the vehicle is. :(

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I kinda knew it for about a year now. Too bad. I wonder if that will make the wife's Baja more appealing if we try to sell it in a couple three years. Brian

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
bheinz57 said:
I kinda knew it for about a year now. Too bad. I wonder if that will make the wife's Baja more appealing if we try to sell it in a couple three years. Brian
You should mothball it. It would be worth a lot of money in 50 years! :)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
*G* yeah once in a while I see a car and wish I could shrink-wrap it and pull it out 10 or 20 years later.

It may be true that the Baja will be more desirable in the future, simply because there aren't that many of them now while they are available new. If I had a rural property and some $$ I would probably get one as a yard car - which is not, I admit, the best use for a vehicle you intend to keep in good shape for a long time...

And I still like the idea of welding the rear doors shut on my OB, cutting off the roof behind the front seats, and calling it the *******, in honor of the Brat. Maybe if a big tree limb falls on the roof...

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
It really is too bad about the Baja. It's a nice vehicle and its Consumer Reports reliability rating skyrocketed this year (whether or not you like CR, it's still a good sign for the vehicle). Too bad it wasn't as popular as Subaru had planned. Unfortunately it fell into competition with the big pickup-convertibles and when compared to those it looks pretty stingy.

Guess we should look forward to whatever new product they add to the line to take its place, if any.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I still think they should not have gone with a 4-door short-bed. Be true to the Brat and make it a 2-door with a longer bed. There are other vehicles that make better crew cabs (although frankly some of those short beds like an Avalance look pretty silly as a supposed pickup - topped only by the Escalade on the same platform as the Apex of Absurdity).

But maybe it's an unintended result of Subaru wanting to go upscale. The Brat was a rough-and-ready simple ride and that's not what Subaru markets as now (goodbye, Paul Hogan). Too bad for them, I think they missed a chance and probably won't go near that configuration again anytime soon.

(checks overhanging tree limbs) dang, and freezing-rain season is almost over....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts