Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to wake this Forum up,its getting the least posts.Lets see how many Baja's are out there,Post your Mods or your future Mods.Ive added a Topper from A.R.E. an Elbow Silencer and i have a Catback Exhaust from Xcceleration on order.I'm thinking about a crank pulley next.Lets hear from you!:D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The wife has a Baja. I just made a CAI to the stock air box with 3" PVC. A 2.5 N/A of course. Made a big difference. We just went on vacation and were hitting 33-34 mpg on the highway with a 4EAT to boot. That's the only mod, besides taking the rear headrests out for better visibility. Brian

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bheinz57 said:
The wife has a Baja. I just made a CAI to the stock air box with 3" PVC. A 2.5 N/A of course. Made a big difference. We just went on vacation and were hitting 33-34 mpg on the highway with a 4EAT to boot. That's the only mod, besides taking the rear headrests out for better visibility. Brian

Man thats good MPG,did you get that after doing the CAI? I have'nt paid much attension to the head rests,do they just bolt on behind the seat?I'm going to look right now,i might decide to do that since i have a topper on mine which lowered my vision.:eek:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I tell you what, all that plastic plumbing on your intake to the throttle body is nothing but a restriction. The only reason car manufacturers put it on there is for a quiet running engine. Now that the Baja gulps more air, it is a smoother transition to the throttle body, I'll guarantee you it makes a difference in fuel consumption. We were driving about 3-4k feet above our usual altitude, too.

Very mountainous, uphill...When we calculate the last tank's mileage, I'm sure it will be almost 35mpg! We have already gone around 250 miles and have at least eight gallons left in the tank. And that's with the auto. And to boot, the car just turned 5,300 miles on the 1600 mile trip. The wife only has to drive it a 1/2 mile to work. A lot of breaking in still with that engine. Whew. Later. Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Baja Improvements

Hi there
bheinz57, how did you go about adjusting your Baja? I just bought an 05 Baja Sport and took it out to Bloomington, Illinois and Back from Norfolk, Virginia. The Baja handling and ride is a definite improvement over my 97 Outback, The highway trip gave me about 28MPG (with the the cruise control set at 68 mph, RPM at 3100) and about 24MPG around town.

I am a little challenged mechanically, so if you could walk me through what you did would be a great help.

Thanks.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Hello, Grimm...Do a search with 'CAI' or 'homemade' or 'PVC' There is a lot of info out there on how I/we have made the intake tract smoother with getting rid of the plastic plumbing that goes to the front of the car to suck air in. It will give you a lot of insight on how to do it. Brian

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 04 turbo 4eat premium in the garage. I don't really have mutch mods: home brew grounding kit, and scilencer deleat elbow. I have a ARE cap and a new HU. That is it so far. I have a lot on my wish list. I have upgraded the rubber to Michlien Piolet Sport A/S. But I will leave it there for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
bajanut
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing