Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering to import some Baja's to Norway from USA. The problem is the special rules we have here concering the registration taxes. The cars are divided into different categories with different taxes. For example, if I import a 2003 Baja as a normal passenger car, I have to pay 61760 US$ only in taxes (the price of the car is not included!) . BUT, if the car fits in the "Class 2 goods vehicles", then the tax is "only" 5441 US$

Can someone here do some measurements for me on the Baja? I wonder if it is possible to fit this car to the "Class 2 goods vehicles" (see below)?? If the car does not fit to this class, do you think it's possible to do some modifications to make it fit?

I hope someone here can help me with this :)

Here is the definition of "Class 2 goods vehicles"
"A motor vehicle that is technically defined as N1 with an open truck body (a pick-up) shall be deemed to be a Class 2 goods vehicle if the length of the goods compartment is at least 1 metre and, in addition, is at least 50 per cent of the length inside the vehicle from the inside front edge of the front window to the rearmost limit of the goods compartment/truck body. The length shall be measured from a vertical plane placed perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle through the rearmost point of the protective partition halfway up the partition, regardless of the shape and position of the partition. The distance shall be measured horizontally from this plane to the inner edge of the rear door or rear wall. It shall not be measured to/from any windows or recesses in the protective partition or rear door."

In addition it can only have two seats, so the backseats must be removed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi NorwayGT:

I cannot help you with your question, but there are already some imported Bajas in Germany, so maybe you do not have to import them from the States.

Look at mobile.de, some are on sale there...

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnak you for your reply Arne!

Yes, you're right, there were som Baja's:) But I'm afraid I still have to import them as class 2 if it's possible.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
According to the Subaru.com website, the length of the cargobed is 41.5 inches = about 106 cm.

Since only two seats are allowed to get the "green licenceplate", you will have to remove the 2 seats in the back. Since the cargo-area now extends into the rear-cabin(through the switchback), your cargo-area is now even longer (from behind the seat until the end of the car). It could work that way, because the rule does not say, it can't be in- and outside...

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you're right, the cargo room is extended, but is it extended according to the rules?

The rules about the length of the cargo room says:
---The length shall be measured from a vertical plane placed perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle through the rearmost point of the protective partition halfway up the partition, regardless of the shape and position of the partition. The distance shall be measured horizontally from this plane to the inner edge of the rear door or rear wall.----

Let me try to explain this rule:
First of all there has to be a protective partition from the cargo floor up to the roof behind the front seats. This is a very easy modification we don't have to worry about. The length of the cargo room shall then be measured from halfway up this partition and horizontally back to the inside of the tail gate.

My question is then: If we measure from the point halfway up the protective partiton (in the middle of the cargo floor and the roof), do the horizontal line go through the "switch back opening" or do the line go through the rear window or headrests?

greetings
Trond

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sorry, that I can't really help you.

Maybe you can use this image to illustrate the measurements you need, and hopfully someone with a Baja can do it for you...

greetings
Arne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
NorwayGT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing