Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, just received the new Consumer Reports for the month. New car ratings amongst other reliability ratings. The Baja was at the absolute bottom for predicted reliability.
What's up with that? They even went so far as to say that it was unlike Subaru to have a crappy car. My wife's Baja (MY03 N/A) did go into the shop for pulsating brakes (turned rotors) but that has been it. What about all you other Baja owners, Complaints, problems, defects....Post 'em here. Brian

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
I saw that as well although I can say that they didn't have a whole lot to support that if anything at all. I think it may be that it is a first year model and the poor rating is the default rating they give to everything brand new. I have never put too much faith in what CR says anyway, they are just as biased as Motor Trend, CNN, and the New York Times :rolleyes:

Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
Seems a little weird to me as CR recommends the Outback but then says this about the Baja. How different is the Baja relative to the Outback. They have identical powertrains don't they? Is the suspension different? I always thought the Baja was an Outback with a bed. How can the Outback be "recommended" and the Baja be at the bottom?

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Discussion Starter #4
The Baja is an Outback with a bed. Just the body past the passenger cabin is different. I don't know of any other difference. Brian

Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
Hero Boots said:
I have never put too much faith in what CR says anyway, they are just as biased as Motor Trend, CNN, and the New York Times :rolleyes:
Hero Boots, my friend had a 1993 Ford Crown Victoria and just when CR said things would start failing his car was doing it so he traded up from a Ford to a Nissan. He would not listen to me and my advise.

What I am saying is don't discount CR completely. They may be biased as you say, however, they do a lot testing on products to support their findings.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Discussion Starter #6
I subscribe to CR, and let me tell you they have steered me in the right direction for years when it comes to purchases. I always fill out their yearly evaluation on products. Brian

Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
As a former subscriber to CR I do feel the editors kinda went a little 'green/liberal' back in the late 80s but they are just about the only unbiased testing group out there. Sure they can make mistakes, and there data is not 'gospel' (they will often tell you, the top rated model of something may not have a feature YOU as an individual want). They also frequently sue folks trying to use their info for advertising purposes - they make every effort ot be unbiased. They have also won lawsuits from manufacturers upset with them (like rating the Dodge Omni/plymouth Horizon 'unacceptable').
Again, you must make your own decisions - they do have a viewpoint that may not always be in line with yours - and they frequently whine about the gumint not doing enough - curious considering they are filling in as a private 'regulator' of a sort.

Registered
Black Granite Pearl Baja Turbo (On Order)
A Big 'Ol Pile 'O Poopy!

What a crock! The least they could have done with this car is simply stated that there wasn't enough data after only one model year to give a truly accurate statement of quality. They asterisk all models in their 1st year of production, but that's it. No footnote stating that there's not enough data to be anywhere near accurate. Be wary of reading too much into these things. And as far as bias, is it me or are they just all too thrilled with Toyota? I mean aure they made a good car, but for a Yota to top nearly all categories just seems fishy. :rolleyes:

Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
propaganda

Don't believe everything you read. I'm always indoubt of statistics most are biased to prove their point of view. As a mechanic seeing is believing! I don't see many Subaru's in our shop with under 200,000 hard miles! Most of the time it's just lack of maintainence. Ford quality job none! But creates lots of jobs for me......hehe!!
The Baja has one inch more clearance than the outback too!:rolleyes:

Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
The people that dislike and bad mouth the Baja are the same ones that disliked and bad mouthed the Brat back then.Subaru has always been known for building strange & weird cars with flat motors and thats what people see in these.I think some of the things about a Subaru scares some people and they think there gonna have problems.

I'm on my second Baja,if they were that bad i wouldn't have bought my 2nd one.I'm planning on buying an 06 Baja if they are still around.
But if not,Nissan will take its place.Thats what i traded in on my 1st Baja.:)

Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
There will be 06 Bajas. If I were you, I'd buy an 05 next year. That way, you'll get pretty much the same features, but with incentives.

But hey, I can sell you a brand new 03 sport on the cheap...

Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
Thanks for the offer,but i'm still hoping that they will build a 2nd generation.But if they don't i think my suby days will be over.I've already been looking at pics of the 05 mid size Nissan Frontier Crew Cab,nice looking truck.The price starting at $20,000 alot cheaper than the Baja.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all. Very funny...I had just read that the Baja is now considered a good buy by the unbiased consumer guides now. When originally looked at, the reliability and resale was way down, but now I read that the model is recommended now.
What a bunch of haters of the design when it came out. Now it is a good car all of a sudden. Brian

Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
I have no trust whatsoever in CR> Back in the 80s when I was a student working for a stereo shop, we had piles of crappy Fisher cassette decks that we couldn't even get rid of if we gave them away. They were the worst crap in our inventory both physically and sonically speaking.

CR did a review of some 40 cassette decks and many of the top players stayed out of it because they didn't like the way the test was setup. Well lo and behold, that Fisher P.O.S. ended up being voted the best buy! We were dumbfounded but quickly got rid of the decks.

I have never looked at a CR test since then.

OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Not to be too much of a nihilist, but I don't entirely trust anyone or any report; as best I can tell, everone is owned by someone. Pretty pessimistic, eh?

For the most part, I have found CR to be a reasonably good source, but I always try to get at least two others to corroborate. In that sense the internet has been both a boon and bane.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Discussion Starter #17
Not really pessimistic, maybe you're a realist like myslelf. I need to see it, feel it, hear it...before I will believe it for myself. I do, however look at what others think about a certain product. Whether or nor it is CR or another source I sometimes take another perspective into consideration.

Unless I think I really know a product, I research it entirely before I buy it. Noe how again did I end up with two Subaru's?? It wasn't the media......Brian

Registered
1997 Outback, 1995 Subaru legacy sedan LS and 2005 Subaru Baja Sport.
I agree with bheinz57, I bought the Subaru, not so much based on review, but more on what cars I see the most on the roads and in my neighbors driveways.

Living in Connecticut at the time, I would see a lot of Subarus (especially older models) which is what tipped the scales for me, I have a 97 Outback, a 95 Legacy LS sedan (which I gave to my Stepdaughter so she would have something that is reliable and safe), and a New 2005 Baja Sport.

I have not been disappointed with them at all, the only issue I would have is the service departments (at least in Virginia) is less than stellar, The Conecticut dealerships at least were proffesional and efficient. The Subaru cars I have had stack up quite nicely against the Toyota and Honda as far as I can tell. (I had a 89 Toyota pick up truck for 5 years before I bought my Outback, and it has been every bit as reliable as the Toyota)

Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
the key to understanding CR is to realize that they're rating "transportation appliances" rather than cars. (that may be why they like Toyos so much---the appliance factor!)

and that CR tends to have mindset that is curious mix of product-liability lawyer and NHTSA/IIHS/CPSC. these are the folks who found the handling of the X1/9 and the orig MR2 unacceptable because they changed directions too easily (duhh.....that might be WHY people buy a mid engined sports car...).

and yeah, the Baja is the same mechanically as the Legacy and LOB ((and largely the OBS) , so shd have same ratings. are they all built in the same factory, tho? altho if the Baja is Japanese, i'd assume it was BETTER quality than the Lafayette-built cars, not worse.

with that in mind, CR often has good input to consider along with all other, esp for those of us who get too stuck in enthusiast-think.

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
The thing I like most about CR is the regular feature on the inside of the back cover, titled Selling It. Sometimes it has some really funny examples of poor or deceptive marketing - sort of a "what were they thinking" in a lot of cases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts