Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

261 - 280 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,443 Posts
There is no need to replace you springs unless you are looking to raise or lower the vehicle. Are you looking to raise or lower you vehicle?

·
Registered
'02 H6 Outback VDC sedan
129 Posts
I also have an H6 OB (2002), and am looking to gain a bit o' ride height when I re-redo my suspension, but after looking at 27 pages of this thread I'm still not clear as to whether the '05 Baja springs (front & rear) will lift my car... Anyone know wassup?

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
1,266 Posts
I also have an H6 OB (2002), and am looking to gain a bit o' ride height when I re-redo my suspension, but after looking at 27 pages of this thread I'm still not clear as to whether the '05 Baja springs (front & rear) will lift my car... Anyone know wassup?
Here, this post from this thread may help clear it up for you.. :29:

·
Registered
Lifted '95 Legacy & 03 OBS
275 Posts
You could put on spacers to push up the body and squeeze in a slightly taller tire.

With the H-6, I think that's one of the tallest setups, thus H-4 users using H-6 springs for lift. The turbo Baja setup (mentioned in 05's post ^) should net about .5" on your H-6, but spacers for sure will yield lift on the H-6, then spacers and tires could get you up 1.5 or so higher than stock, anmd if baja turbo springs work that might get you closer to 2".

Anything above 2" over stock ride height is where you should consider dropping drive line components to maintain axle geometry.

·
Registered
'02 H6 Outback VDC sedan
129 Posts
Thanks guys.

I just ordered 2005 Baja turbo front (for auto trans) & rear springs (for 'sportshift' auto w/ leather interior[?]), with the assumption they'll ship out in 3-5 business days as per my chat with the place I ordered from. Hope it all installs nicely w/ my kyb gr2s and gives me a lil' lift. I'm already on 235/55r17s, depending on how much I like where it sits after these springs and new struts/shocks go on and settle a bit, I may consider the lift spacers as well.

Now I just gotta find me a Baja rear sway bar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just installed the baja springs and I thought I would put in my three cents. part #'s
20380ae50a rear
20330ae59a front
20330ae60a front
all for manual since I have a manual 2000 outback, front raised about 3/4 inch, rear went up about 1 inch lot stiffer now, like the ride.

·
Registered
'02 H6 Outback VDC sedan
129 Posts
Just got in the subtle .25" spacers, should b flyin high soon! I wish I had paid more attention when ordering, was a bit surprised to find the 1/4" spacers were HDPE, rather than aluminum.

·
Registered
'02 H6 Outback VDC sedan
129 Posts
Just got in my baja turbo/auto springs, my Baja front coils' wire diameter measures approx .630"Ø, the OE h6 coils on the front of my car are about .550"Ø, haven't gotten to compare free lengths yet. No idea how the rear coils compare yet.

P/Ns:
Front Left- 20330AE64A
Front Right- 20330AE66A
Rears- 20380AE52A

Now I'm waiting on rear shocks and mounts all around to show up (and a front strut bar).

Can't wait to see what it's gonna ride like...

·
Registered
2000 2.5 Wagon
3 Posts
So here's a question-
I've been looking at possibly picking up a set of used springs off a Baja, should be able to find an 05-06 without too much trouble.
But, most of the junkyards don't want to separate the springs from the struts, which is understandable. Any chance the Baja struts would bolt into my 00 Outback? That'd be a whole lot quicker and a mite cheaper than new struts all around too. I haven't looked at part numbers, they're probably different, but we all know that doesn't necessarily mean a thing. Just a thought-

I ask because I can get a set of struts w/springs to my door for about $200, which would be a decent price if the struts work, but isn't much of a deal if I can't use them.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, 2010 MB R350 Diesel, 1991 Toyota MR2 | suspension & braking enthusiast
660 Posts
So here's a question-
I've been looking at possibly picking up a set of used springs off a Baja, should be able to find an 05-06 without too much trouble.
But, most of the junkyards don't want to separate the springs from the struts, which is understandable. Any chance the Baja struts would bolt into my 00 Outback? That'd be a whole lot quicker and a mite cheaper than new struts all around too. I haven't looked at part numbers, they're probably different, but we all know that doesn't necessarily mean a thing. Just a thought-

I ask because I can get a set of struts w/springs to my door for about $200, which would be a decent price if the struts work, but isn't much of a deal if I can't use them.

Yes it is a direct swap. However, pay attention to the mileage. If there is more than 75-100,000 on the shocks, I wouldn't bother with them - best to just get new ones while doing all the work. You should be able to negotiate a better price based on the mileage.

Find out what happened to the car that the parts came from. If front or rear impact, the shocks are probably just fine, but if side impact, there is a chance that they are bent, so take a tape measure or string and make sure left and right units are the same.

·
Registered
2002 Outback H4 MT Limited
44 Posts
Here's some pics of my lifted, rally, 02 outback ltd mt h4 snow-mobile..

2006 turbo baja springs front and rear, 1/4" subtle solutions rear lift plates, turbo baja rear sway bar, kyb dampers, hawk hps break pads, hankook ipike studded 215/65/16 snows..

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 2.5 Wagon
3 Posts
This is just all a bit weird for me to get used to....
I'm coming from a world of Jeeps and Toyota trucks, so people saying "look at my 3/8" spacer lift" sounds a bit ridiculous. Fractions of inches seem odd to hear in this environment, but it's growing on me. I get the fact that a fraction of an inch may make the difference, but it still sounds almost like splitting hairs. I don't understand why you wouldn't go for a solid 2" with new springs paired with spacers, but I guess if you want that kind of ground clearance, you just buy a Tacoma :) Which is why I have a double cab Taco :D

·
Registered
2001 LLBW
141 Posts
Here's some pics of my lifted, rally, 02 outback ltd mt h4 snow-mobile..

2006 turbo baja springs front and rear, turbo baja rear sway bar, kyb dampers, hawk hps break pads, hankook ipike studded 215/65/16 snows..
Clean 'Ru. Nice pics, too. I forgot what snow looked like after I moved to FL.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, 2010 MB R350 Diesel, 1991 Toyota MR2 | suspension & braking enthusiast
660 Posts
I'm coming from a world of Jeeps and Toyota trucks, so people saying "look at my 3/8" spacer lift" sounds a bit ridiculous. Fractions of inches seem odd to hear in this environment, but it's growing on me. I get the fact that a fraction of an inch may make the difference, but it still sounds almost like splitting hairs. I don't understand why you wouldn't go for a solid 2" with new springs paired with spacers, but I guess if you want that kind of ground clearance, you just buy a Tacoma :) Which is why I have a double cab Taco :D
Because the axles are not designed for it if you just space out the suspension side. There is only one vendor I know of that has a kit for the differential side and its very expensive.

With the subaru, you can only gain a little bit of grond clearance before the axles are no longer in their comfortable setting. Once you go past a certain point they become very inefficient and the joints heat up and fail.

I think you can gain a lot more ground clearance with taller tires and modifications to the fender, but few folks want to ruin the fender :)

The avaialble off-the shelf dampers have limited suspension travel. To gain anything there, you really need to go custom.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great ideas. If I keep my outback I may do up front at least. Has down hill look The back is way higher already. ride is rough already so little more wont matter. Maybe I wont have to be pulled out as much lol

·
Registered
2001 LLBW
141 Posts
The Baja Turbo springs are also firmer than the stock Outback ones (even the H6).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks

Just complete my Baja spring swap on my outback and also added 1/2 inch spacers as well. Looks great. Just wanted to thank all you guys and especially the Yeti for all the great write ups. I gained over 2 inches but I think that is mostly because I had the stock springs that sagged badly. Any way just wanted to stay thanks, went together without a hitch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just complete my Baja spring swap on my outback and also added 1/2 inch spacers as well. Looks great. Just wanted to thank all you guys and especially the Yeti for all the great write ups. I gained over 2 inches but I think that is mostly because I had the stock springs that sagged badly. Any way just wanted to stay thanks, went together without a hitch.

How bad was putting the rear back in? Where the pics man!? :D

Anyone sporting 1/4" spacers on the front with baja's? Both front axles are newish and was debating throwing them in but not sure I want to risk it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The back springs were a bit tricky, I had to disconnect the rear sway bar. After that I used a jack to push down the axle. What was kind of tricky was getting the spacers in because the new bolts I used weren't threaded alway down (I couldn't secure them to the strut). Getting my girlfriend out of the house to hold the struts while I jumped into the car to tighten them was interesting. I'll post a pic this weekend once i get the 215/70r16 geolander AT on, should look much better then. As long as the tires don't hit the spring perch, I have no problem with cutting the fenders or anything else that rubs. I only drive this car about 5k miles per year and it's only to get my toys out in the mountains.

$10 per spring, I wish I would of checked Napa, I compressed mine with loaners from auto zone with a ratchet (air gun broke!), no fun.

I'm thinking about extending the swaybar connector link, does anyone know if there another vehicle that might be compatible just about 2 inches longer?

261 - 280 of 428 Posts