Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so Yeti documented the use of Baja Springs on his '00 Outback very nicely, but it got me thinking. What would the outcome of using these springs on an '05 Outback be? I'm looking for a little lift (maybe an inch) and a firmer/ more controlled suspension, but I'm not sure what to expect of this combination on an '05 Outback, any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Since our shocks are interchangeable, I'd say you will get a similar lift to what the 00 gets. Have you already replaced your shocks? If you still have the stock underdamped ones, the stiffer springs will only make it more bouncy.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since our shocks are interchangeable, I'd say you will get a similar lift to what the 00 gets. Have you already replaced your shocks? If you still have the stock underdamped ones, the stiffer springs will only make it more bouncy.
No, but the plan is to go with the '00-'04 KYB GR-2 Struts Front & Rear when I pull everything apart. I was just going to go with RalliTek rears, but started thinking about a 'balanced' approach to increasing spring rate and first thought about H6 front springs. Then I got to thinking about Yeti's thread about using the Baja springs, but since my understanding is that the earlier generation Outback's ride height was about an inch lower than the '05-'09 generation I'm not sure what to expect lift wise if fitted to this generation..

See this thread for more of my musings..

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
I remember this being discussed like crazy in another thread, but now I can't remember which one. Did anyone ever figure out the length and thickness of these springs?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, 2010 MB R350 Diesel, 1991 Toyota MR2 | suspension & braking enthusiast
660 Posts
Can't use the older style Outback/Baja springs on the 05-09 chassis because the shape of the spring is different. 05-09 is pigtail and rounded edge. 00-04 Outback/Baja has a beveled/flattened edge and is not pigtailed. Eggroller and I took side-by-side pics of all the springs - sorry don't have the link handy - I think its on one of the pages in the main 05-09 FAQ thread.

You could use the older style spring with if you also swap in the older style upper spring retainer and upper mount though. Shoudl work fine with either teh 00-04 or 05-09 dampers.

·
Registered
2000 OB Brighton, 2005 OB 2.5 Euro Spec, 2007 OB w/ DIY 2" Lift
71 Posts
Bumping this thread after 10 years to save someone else the hassle in the future.

FYI, the 00-04 and 05-09 strut mounts are physically different, so you'll have to use the spring perch (part number 6 in this diagram) from an 00-04, and a strut mount from a 00-09 (number 5) if you want the whole thing to work.

This also means if you have spacers for a 00-04 lying around, they will also not work, as the 05-09 strut mounts are physically larger and the bolts are spaced out a bit more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts