Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to subarus just got my outback the 16th of november this year so i have some things i need ti fix on it before it becomes fully running.. like the broken springs..

i came across something that i cant find again mentioning stock baja struts provides more lift then the stockers. I was just wondering if swapping in stock springs(or baja) and struts would lift it some or should i just get some quick struts and go from there.....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I thought the Baja and Outback struts were the same (or so close there wouldn't be a noticeable difference) and the springs made the height difference. I could be wrong there.

KYB GR2 struts with Baja and H6 springs are a good idea since you have an H4 (as 1 Lucky Texan posted). I went with GR2s and King Springs because I have the H6, which is heavier than the H4 Outback or Baja. Got about an inch of lift out of that combination, so the lowest point (exhaust pipe near the rear diff) is 9" off the ground now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the Baja and Outback struts were the same (or so close there wouldn't be a noticeable difference) and the springs made the height difference. I could be wrong there.

KYB GR2 struts with Baja and H6 springs are a good idea since you have an H4 (as 1 Lucky Texan posted). I went with GR2s and King Springs because I have the H6, which is heavier than the H4 Outback or Baja. Got about an inch of lift out of that combination, so the lowest point (exhaust pipe near the rear diff) is 9" off the ground now.
Thats why i wasnt sure . I probably wasnt finding anything cause i was searching baja struts lol. Thanks!

My front springs are shot do you know anyone lowing their car with new struts and shocks that would sell the stock setup?

·
Registered
852 Posts
My front springs are shot do you know anyone lowing their car with new struts and shocks that would sell the stock setup?
If you buy me Baja springs, you can have my Outback springs FOR FREE :29:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What would using springs from an 05 auto turbo baja get me?
If you've got a H4, then Baja Turbo springs will net you around 1.5" of lift or so. 1 Lucky Texan linked my thread above in which I used H6 springs to achieve just about the same lift, and I'm sorry my pictures in that thread don't work! :( If I knew where I had saved the pictures I would have put them back up...sorry. Good luck..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you've got a H4, then Baja Turbo springs will net you around 1.5" of lift or so. 1 Lucky Texan linked my thread above in which I used H6 springs to achieve just about the same lift, and I'm sorry my pictures in that thread don't work! :( If I knew where I had saved the pictures I would have put them back up...sorry. Good luck..
well i understand the lift but i thought u needed springs from the 06 turbo 5 speed. And i found an 05 turbo auto for 100 bucks for the springs lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Oh yea, if you have a manual you should probably get springs from a manual if you can...however, I have H6 automatic front springs (they only made the H6 in auto lol) on my 5 speed and they work just fine. I don't see why the auto springs from a Baja wouldn't work. Weight distribution might be very slightly off, possibly causing a slight variation in height on each side of the vehicle, but in my case (w/H6 springs) at least it's not enough to make a noticeable difference, if at all. On the rear I have Baja Turbo springs.

EDIT: also note that the front springs are not identical. There is a left and a right. By my measurements, the left side spring is 1/4" taller.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yea, if you have a manual you should probably get springs from a manual if you can...however, I have H6 automatic front springs (they only made the H6 in auto lol) on my 5 speed and they work just fine. I don't see why the auto springs from a Baja wouldn't work. Weight distribution might be very slightly off, possibly causing a slight variation in height on each side of the vehicle, but in my case (w/H6 springs) at least it's not enough to make a noticeable difference, if at all. On the rear I have Baja Turbo springs.

EDIT: also note that the front springs are not identical. There is a left and a right. By my measurements, the left side spring is 1/4" taller.
Hmmm i think i should buy them. They only want 100+ shipping.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Where in NE Ohio are you? I will be in Minerva in two weeks. I could bring my stock springs for you. They have about 110k on them.

Also, I used Baja auto springs on my 5 speed. Didn't see anything major with that.

H6 engines are not appreciably heavier. The first year of the H6 was the same height as the 2.5 and used the same springs. By extension, late-run baja springs will lift all 2000-04 outbacks.

James

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where in NE Ohio are you? I will be in Minerva in two weeks. I could bring my stock springs for you. They have about 110k on them.

Also, I used Baja auto springs on my 5 speed. Didn't see anything major with that.

H6 engines are not appreciably heavier. The first year of the H6 was the same height as the 2.5 and used the same springs. By extension, late-run baja springs will lift all 2000-04 outbacks.

James
I live in ashtabula.. about 100 miles north of there. about an hours drive east of cleveland. if your willing to come out ill certainly buy the stock springs whats the price?

also was that auto baja an 06?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
There is over a 200 lb difference in the weight of the Outback Limited 5MT and the LL Bean wagon (3510, 3715), and almost a 300 lb difference between the base Outback manual and the LL Bean. Of course, to be fair, that weight is distributed throughout the car, not just up front. Obviously, all of the extra weight that the OB Limited has over the OB base is interior stuff.

2003 Subaru Outback options, prices, colors, all other years also. Seattle

After 2001, the H-6 got an extra 1/2" of ground clearance over the H-4, from 7.3 to 7.9 inches. So the post-2001 H6 springs WILL lift the 2000-2004 H-4 Outbacks. That is what I used to lift mine, because front Baja springs were unavailable at the time. Here is my car lifted on H-6 springs in the front, and Baja turbo springs in the rear. The H-6 springs lifted the car just as much as the Bajas did in the rear. They are taller and they are stiffer springs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is over a 200 lb difference in the weight of the Outback Limited 5MT and the LL Bean wagon (3510, 3715), and almost a 300 lb difference between the base Outback manual and the LL Bean. Of course, to be fair, that weight is distributed throughout the car, not just up front. Obviously, all of the extra weight that the OB Limited has over the OB base is interior stuff.

2003 Subaru Outback options, prices, colors, all other years also. Seattle

After 2001, the H-6 got an extra 1/2" of ground clearance over the H-4, from 7.3 to 7.9 inches. So the post-2001 H6 springs WILL lift the 2000-2004 H-4 Outbacks. That is what I used to lift mine, because front Baja springs were unavailable at the time. Here is my car lifted on H-6 springs in the front, and Baja turbo springs in the rear. The H-6 springs lifted the car just as much as the Bajas did in the rear. They are taller and they are stiffer springs.

Looks good!:thumbup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I live in ashtabula.. about 100 miles north of there. about an hours drive east of cleveland. if your willing to come out ill certainly buy the stock springs whats the price?

also was that auto baja an 06?
I'll send you a PM. My springs were from 05 or 06 Baja. I think all were higher in those years.

tibug said:
After 2001, the H-6 got an extra 1/2" of ground clearance over the H-4, from 7.3 to 7.9 inches. So the post-2001 H6 springs WILL lift the 2000-2004 H-4 Outbacks
I never said the H6 springs won't work. I said that the first year of the H6 was the same height, with the same springs. Later Bajas were 8.4," and I also said that Baja springs will lift all outbacks :) That way, those with H6s can still lift them.

James

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
tibug
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing