Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own or has anyone driven the turbo? The wife drives an '03 NA, just wondering how the turbo holds it's own against the Forester or WRX. Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
In My Opinion...

I'd take the Baja-T over the Forester XT or WRX ANY day. I drove both the 5MT and the new 4EAT SportShift. To compare the performance to the opiginal Baja is like comparing Chevette to a Corvette. Okay, it's not a rocket, but it's got PLENTY of get outta my way oomf, escpecially when compared to other compact pickups. Don't get me wrong, the WRXs and FXTs are nice, but I find them small and somehow MORE expensive. I'd go with the Baja here, you get way more for your money.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jake, at least they're both Vettes! The Baja turbo isn't getting rave reviews like the other turbo Subies. My wife's Baja is great, nice ride, nice interior, but the 4EAT is not very complimentary to the 2.5 NA Thanks for the info. Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I never drove an NA automatic. The turbo with the new auto is pretty sweet; for an automatic. I prefer full manual control, so I ordered mine with the 5-speed. Still no word on exactly when it'll be here, but I hear it may be April.

Personally I just think the Baja is off to a rough start. Subaru hasn't promoted it at all, unlike the Outback and WRX, which as far as most of the world know is all Subaru makes. The production numbers for the turbo are so low that I don't even think the Baja will live past the '05 model year. Too bad. But, Honda and Mitsubishi are developing car-based SUTs of their own, so maybe we're at the birth of a relatively new niche. Of course, I'm sure that's what the designers of the El Camino and Ranchero thought! (I love 'em anyway)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, the old Chevellecamino. That's what I call it anyway. The poor Baja has been a hard vehicle for people to grasp. Of course my wife loved it from the start, went to test drive one and bought it right there. I like it, the bed doesn't hold much, but you know the car grows on you. And we have the only color scheme I would have allowed in the garage...all silver.
Just like the all dark one you have coming, they look good. I had seen an all blue one on the road before and that looked good, too. Long live the Baja:1: Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Colors

As much as I wanted all of the turbos to be monotone, oh well. I REALLY wanted to see one in all WRC Blue, all black being second. I wasn't too sure about the black/onyx at first, but I love it now. Although I saw a photo of the WRC Team's Support Vehicle Baja dressed in WRC garb and maybe, just maybe there's a face lift in the distant future.

WRC Baja

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
BajaJake
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing