Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I recall that it's in the same position as the Legacy/Outback, but the access is from under the rear of the car rather than through a floor hatch. I imagine it's got a crude winch to drop the spare.

Hopefully Jogosub or another of the baja set will turn up to correct me- I last drove one 3 years ago.

·
Brucey is a Tool of the Devil !
25,281 Posts
Baja's got their own board:
scoobytruck.com ? Index page

How do you get a spare tire off of a Subaru Baja

As per the post on wiki answers, it will be a pain in the @ss to take off just like any pickup truck as the bolt will corrode into place, and you will need something spray like nut buster to help.

As per your PM. Click on my signature below to see what my avatar is. I don't own a Baja or a Prius, just thought the image was cool. It is a real front and back marriage of 2 wrecked cars.

·
25,281 Posts
I was just closing down, and I hit on this as a google image search, subaru did do something better then the other guys:

they put the bolt access in the bed, and they put a article on it right in their own magazine Baja similar to Tribeca pictured:

Quick Stops

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
It's kind of a trick setup, but unfortunately is prone to rust underneath and around the tire. Just another thing to check out when inspecting the subframe. There is a circular plastic cover where you access the lowering doodad.

Mine has a spacesaver, but I plan on getting a full sizer on there. I don't know if it was an option or what the scoop is. A trophy truck style mount in the bed crossed my mind briefly but I don't want to lose cargo space or attain bro status.

·
25,281 Posts
It's kind of a trick setup, but unfortunately is prone to rust underneath and around the tire. Just another thing to check out when inspecting the subframe. Mine has a spacesaver, but I plan on getting a full sizer on there. I don't know if it was an option or what the scoop is.
Could put it on the roof. Fill the bed with beer and it won't be top heavy.:cool:

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Could put it on the roof. Fill the bed with beer and it won't be top heavy.:cool:
I've found that my son's Recaro in back keeps an 1/6th barrel quite safe. My mileage is bad enough at the way amount of fun my engine is tuned to. :p

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
A trophy truck style mount in the bed crossed my mind briefly but I don't want to lose cargo space or attain bro status.
This^^^^^ bwaahahahahahhaa :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's kind of a trick setup, but unfortunately is prone to rust underneath and around the tire. Just another thing to check out when inspecting the subframe. There is a circular plastic cover where you access the lowering doodad.

Mine has a spacesaver, but I plan on getting a full sizer on there. I don't know if it was an option or what the scoop is. A trophy truck style mount in the bed crossed my mind briefly but I don't want to lose cargo space or attain bro status.
Have you put a full size up with the chain lift? If you had an old picture of under there that you could share, it would be appreciated.
Cars101 showed spacesaver for 03 spare and made no reference as to spare for any future model years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Have you put a full size up with the chain lift? If you had an old picture of under there that you could share, it would be appreciated.
Cars101 showed spacesaver for 03 spare and made no reference as to spare for any future model years.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

I got my first flat, thankfully at home. So I took some pics. Trying to decide what I could use to lube the cable mechanism while I'm in there so I can assure it stays free. Wasn't too bad when I lowered it though.

Going to try and fit an OEM alloy and a 225/55/17 (about the same as stock 16" size) in there. I may have to spread the bars a bit to get it in there but it should fit I think.

Attachments

·
Brucey
9,626 Posts
I just dropped the spare on the new Baja to make sure it was functioning.

The good news is the winch wasn't clogged and works great! All the original equipment is there and tucked away in the compartments.

The bad news: the space saver spare doesn't hold air.

Guess we're going to hunt down a full size after all.

Sucks we just put directional tires on or I would do a 5 way tire rotation.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I just dropped the spare on the new Baja to make sure it was functioning.

The good news is the winch wasn't clogged and works great! All the original equipment is there and tucked away in the compartments.

The bad news: the space saver spare doesn't hold air.

Guess we're going to hunt down a full size after all.

Sucks we just put directional tires on or I would do a 5 way tire rotation.
Mine has about 7psi in it. I inflated it to spec and held fine after two weeks, but it's warm out now.

·
Brucey
9,626 Posts
Mine has about 7psi in it. I inflated it to spec and held fine after two weeks, but it's warm out now.
Tire appears to be holding air now. I still want to get a full size spare. Preferably matching. :wink2:

I put in the factory alloy with 225/60/16 and it wouldn't fully seat.

I'll have to spread the bars some but I think it will fit a full size without interfering with anything else.

Any luck with you?

·
25,281 Posts
can you load those existing temp spares with a can of fix a flat.

I got one of those about 20 years ago, never used it. but might on a leaky temp spare.

or something else not worth removing from the rim to fix vs. replacing. (like something being taken on wheels to the scrapper).

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Tire appears to be holding air now. I still want to get a full size spare. Preferably matching. :wink2:

I put in the factory alloy with 225/60/16 and it wouldn't fully seat.

I'll have to spread the bars some but I think it will fit a full size without interfering with anything else.

Any luck with you?
I plan on doing the same eventually. There are a couple local fellow Baja Turbo owners that also don't enjoy the thought of a space saver because we all like to get off the beaten path. Been keeping an eye out for a set of 3 or 4 at a reasonable price to split. They want OEM but I am not concerned what style. I just want proper specs and a decent tire that's proper size.

They both run the stock 16" wheels and want to be able to rotate that 5th one in. I like to run 17s normally, so there is that. I'd rather take my Forester out on crap roads and in the woods if it's real bad.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
can you load those existing temp spares with a can of fix a flat.

I got one of those about 20 years ago, never used it. but might on a leaky temp spare.

or something else not worth removing from the rim to fix vs. replacing. (like something being taken on wheels to the scrapper).
It's worth a try I guess, but that stuff usually renders a valve stem useless after that I think. I'd rather just periodically check it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I assume someone by now has come up with a Bed mount for a Full Size spare tire. Whether it be to hold it vertically against the side or somewhere in the center of the bed, bolted down. I.E. the Ford Raptor or ya know.... a Baja Truck... lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts