Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
08 Outback XT LTD 5-Speed, Black/2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was recently cruising on the highway for a few hours the other day and noticed some abnormal vibrations at speeds between 75-85. When I put my car up on a lift to change the oil, my mechanic buddy noticed one of the front ball joints was pretty **** loose! Now, i'm fairly new to the Outback owners club and unsure about the life span of these parts but in my experience ball joints go at around 65-80K. So any ideas why I am replacing this now? at only 45K?
-Also, I am the second owner (have had the car for 3 months/ purchased at 39K) and curious about the factory warranty. When does it run out and would the premature failure of the ball joint be covered? If premature that is..

Any comments are appreciated!
-Dan

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Premature ball joint failure is not common in these cars. 45k sounds particularly premature. I'd even say that 80k would be early.

I don't know what the deal is with the warranty duration or transferability, I wish you luck there.

Must have been a heck of a pothole...

·
Registered
18,162 Posts
. . .curious about the factory warranty. When does it run out . . .
Basic Subaru warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles on pretty well the whole car, and 5 years/60,000 miles on the power train, which a low mileage 2008 might still fall under depending on when the car was first put into service.

If within the 5 years, eligibility might depend on whether the warranty was transferred and the new ownership registered with Subaru. It's certainly worth checking with a Subaru dealer.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Factory ball joint didn't change for 20+ years (except for different p/n on Tribeca, don't know why). As rasterman said, they are not known to fail prematurely. Then of course, some will. But could this have been an aftermarket part, installed by the 1st owner after hitting a curb or something?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Just thought of something- Any chance your buddy was actually referring to the rear bushing on the lower control arm? Those are known for premature wear on 05-09 Outbacks.

From the Opposed Forces catalog:

#17 is the balljoint, and they're pretty bulletproof.

#10 is the rear bushing, and they aren't.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Is the tech sure its the joint that's loose and not that maybe the suspension was taken apart for another repair (axle?) and the ball joint wasn't tightened to the arm? This is too odd. I've seen the joints go 150-200k miles before needing replacement. Offroad use not accounted for.

Any new parts under there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts