Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just replaced my CV axle on my 99 OBW. In the process of trying to loosen rusty bolts, I managed to strip the threads on the ball joint crown nut. (The pinch bolt is super rusted and stuck). But, the nut is still on the bolt. The nut will turn in place with a hefty bit of torque, but is not spinning and not coming off.

So, my question: will the car be fine to drive if I just put the cotter pin back in and drive with the ball joint operating with the bolt secured with lower-than-spec torque, or do I need to wrestle the pinch bolt out and replace the ball joint? I am not looking forward to trying to get that pinch bolt out...

Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
If we tell you that it will be fine, that is when a major deadly accident may occur. If we tell you you may have a major deadly accident because of it, nothing will happen.

That's the way things work.
In order to be on the safe side, we must tell you that it is a dangerous condition and if you want to drive the car like that, drive accordingly. If you happen to get into a deadly accident and you knew about this, it could mean jail time for you.

Do you want the truth or a lie?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Are you sure the ball joint isn't turning in the arm making it look like the threads are stripped. Apply some more pressure to the arm to try and get the taper on the ball joint to grab some more on the arm and see if it will tighten up.

If that's not successful I would replace the ball joint to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Are you sure the ball joint isn't turning in the arm making it look like the threads are stripped. Apply some more pressure to the arm to try and get the taper on the ball joint to grab some more on the arm and see if it will tighten up.

If that's not successful I would replace the ball joint to be on the safe side.
Good idea~
I wouldn't have thought of that, you are right, the ball joint bottom portion could be spinning and you wouldn't know it.

When I removed my OEM '05 right ball joint, the way the notch was made, it could not have spun, the notch being on just one portion of the ball joint, however the replacement Moog has the notch all the way around the perimeter, so an aftermarket one could be turning without your knowing it.

Put some masking tape on the bottom part and mark it to see if the tape revolves while you are trying to tighten the nut.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
re-tighten the nut. this will re-seat the spindle in the control arm. you may be able to remove the nut then. you need some resistance on the spindle. other wise you will have to cut the nut.

an impact wrench may help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing