Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 (Violet), 01 (Rhonda), & 05 (Grace) 2.5 Outback Wagons
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm just about finished up with some maintenance on my wife's 99 Outback Wagon, and the last part to go on was an OEM ball joint, directly from our local Subaru dealer (W&L, always excellent to deal with). They have since closed their parts department, due to this virus, and I can't get ahold of them, at all. The new ball joint did not come with a nut or cotter pin... ALL new ball joints are supposed to come with new nuts and pins, you are not to reuse the old ones (standard procedure), so why on Earth would Subaru not give me one??? I am having a horrible time trying to find them online (or anywhere for that matter...). They're an M12 x 1.25 ultra fine thread, and the only one that I found in that thread is only grade 8.8... and that's not in stock for at least a month. does anyone know where I can find one?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
I;ve fair luck on ebay for somewhat odd fasteners....good luck

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,536 Posts
Use the old nut with a new split pin, it will not be a problem. If you are worried simply use some medium strength loctite on the thread (which is not needed with a castellated nut and split pin)

A properly installed castellated nut with its fitted split pin will never fail.

Seagrass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use the old nut with a new split pin, it will not be a problem. If you are worried simply use some medium strength loctite on the thread (which is not needed with a castellated nut and split pin)

A properly installed castellated nut with its fitted split pin will never fail.

Seagrass
Forgot to add, I had to cut the old one off. It wouldn't come off even with the impact, it would just spin, so I cut it off with the cut off wheel, not knowing that their wasn't a new one in the pack (I didn't pick up the parts, and didn't pay attention when I got it out of the box).

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,536 Posts
Forgot to add, I had to cut the old one off. It wouldn't come off even with the impact, it would just spin, so I cut it off with the cut off wheel, not knowing that their wasn't a new one in the pack (I didn't pick up the parts, and didn't pay attention when I got it out of the box).
That makes it a little more difficult to use the old one ;-)

Seagrass

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,715 Posts
I have had extremely good luck with my dealer giving me the required nuts for free with said parts. never hurts to ask

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Found out the same thing when I bought new front axles and lower ball joints - no nuts with them. Never had that in any purchases of the same for other cars previously - they must be desperate for income.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had extremely good luck with my dealer giving me the required nuts for free with said parts. never hurts to ask
I would, but they're closed until at least the end of April due to this virus. I got the ball joint right before they announced the temporary shutdown.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
I would, but they're closed until at least the end of April due to this virus. I got the ball joint right before they announced the temporary shutdown.
Order them from one of the only subaru parts sites, like subaruonlineparts. I just ordered rear hub/bearing assemblies last Thursday, and they are being shipped today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts