Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to get to my banjo filter last night and I was not able to get the bracket loose. I removed the (2) 10mm bolts on the heat shield and the 14mm bolt. The 14mm nut on the stud would not budge. I let it soak in penetrating fluid for 30 min and I ended up twisting my craftsman 12" extension with a cheater bar. Any advise other than splurge on a 1/2" drive extension set? I also used a 32oz hammer on the extension and socket to break loose the nut.

Thanks!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
you might need 1/2"...I used a cheater bar on the rachet...the top section from my jack handle. Also, those bolts are used to being really hot. Like 800-1000 degrees. Heat it, wear gloves and try to break the bolts loose when super hot.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
Using the hammer as an impact gun is a trick the seems to work pretty well.

Are you planning to remove the front banjo filter also ?

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Using the hammer as an impact gun is a trick the seems to work pretty well.

Are you planning to remove the front banjo filter also ?
I do that as well, just when using extensions...it gets a bit wonky. I found for those bolts, and the up-pipe flange bolts...I have more control and less likely to round the nut...but whatever gets them off.

I have pulled my bolt. I had a turbo/block failure right after I bought the car. I had it all replaced at no charge (one of the lucky ones). I had planned to just keep checking every 10K or so. But the second time I checked it...it was spotless. I just pulled it. I plan at some point to do the Infamous Oil and filter upgrade.

I don't really drive Frank much...constantly tearing hers down for fun. But when she is going to start seeing lot of hard miles. The filter conversion will be in.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
I keep one of these around; it saves both your ratchets and your knuckles from damage when you need to put on lots of torque.

Craftsman.com

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Yeah, those are cool. I think my old man's is a cheap Harbor Freight version. But they are a very good thing to have, they work well. At least when I need it, it did.

·
Registered
05 XT manual turbo smart bov, H&R Springs w bilstein shocks, AEM cold intake
2 Posts
I keep one of these around; it saves both your ratchets and your knuckles from damage when you need to put on lots of torque.

Craftsman.com
Hi Johnre.. what tool are you talking about? The link doesn't work and I'm planning on doing the banjo bolt inspection job. Thanks man

Reactions: intelisevil

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
Hi Johnre.. what tool are you talking about? The link doesn't work and I'm planning on doing the banjo bolt inspection job. Thanks man
Wow, a reply to my four year post - you expect me to remember?

After carefully looking through the thread, and seeing the post by traildogck, I would say that I was talking about a hand impact driver. You give it a good whack with a hammer, and it transmits that impact energy into breaking-loose torque. Here's an equivalent from McMaster:

They don't seem to be as common anymore though since the advent of larger battery operated impact drivers for 1/2" square drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts