Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Atlantic Blue OBXT Limited 5MT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2006 OBXT for 1/2 a year now and have been mainly focusing on getting the suspension dialed in before moving onto some engine modifications. However, the one thing I keep reading about is this bloody stupid banjo bolt filter issue, that supposedly was worse in the 05/06 years.

There have been a few posts that I've found that mention Infamous Performance creating a fix for this issue. After searching their site I have found these 2 products:

IP&T Filtered Turbo Oil Supply Line Kit

IP&T Complete Filtered Turbo Oil Supply Line and ACVS Replacement Line Kit

Has anyone installed one of these? Do they actually replace the cursed filter or just make it easier to access? Do they allow for greater oil cooling? Is it too much for a stock turbo?

I want to nip this issue first before tuning and doing some exhaust pipe replacement. Cheers!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited 5MT
224 Posts
So I know this is a bit of an old thread but I'm wondering the same.

about to order this IP&T Filtered Turbo Oil Supply Line Kit

and want to double/triple check it's the right one for the 05 OBXT

Actually what are the advantages of the above kit with the AVCS line as well. I see Infamous Performance has two serrate kits.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I just pulled the screen out and reinstalled the banjo without it. If you keep up with oil changes and use a good synthetic like Rotella T6, you don't need it. There are uncounted cars driving around with turbos that don't have filtered oil supplies. I have personally owned turbo cars that went 140K+ miles with no turbo issues. None had filters.

OTH, if access were easy and in a LOGICAL place, for example, at the turbo housing instead of buried under the intake manifold, I would probably have kept it and just cleaned it every 50K miles.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Why would you keep the filter in there? As long as your running proper oil and changing it at the proper change cycle there should be zero reason why the system would need a inline filter to start with.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited 5MT
224 Posts
Why would you keep the filter in there? As long as your running proper oil and changing it at the proper change cycle there should be zero reason why the system would need a inline filter to start with.
I was thinking about the oil supply line mainly because I don't know 100% about the previous owner and how he did it. I do have very solid records but not on every oil change. The previous owner had the ones there are records for done at a dealership but not all are 3700 miles. Possible there were ones done off the record but at the same time I doubt it based on what records he kept.

I also doubt that he had synthetic done because while he took very very good care of the car, dealerships don't use synthetic unless asked for.

That out of the way I do plan on using T6 from here on out and will be religious about them.

I guess my personal point is if I was that worried overall I wouldn't have bought the car, however I'm trying to weigh all my options and make that decision for the future of the vehicle while I own it.

While I'm willing to just pull the filter out I also want to know about my other options too. If I'm willing to pay for the aftermarket oil supply line I want to know about that as well. This is why I'm asking about the two separate kits.

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
The oil line to the turbo feeds off the head, after the filter. In theory, if something in the head broke and sent some little pieces floating, it could end up in the journal bearing and cause a problem. it's possible that a piece could be caught in the screen and still not starve the flow of oil enough to destroy the turbo.

on the other hand, there could be some sludgy oil gunk [ for those of us who buy used cars with spotty maintenance history] that could clog up the filter and starve the turbo. If you don't have the filter in, it might just be forced through and not cause any issues or, it may .... who knows.

My turbo just grenaded a couple weeks ago, it had nothing to do with the banjo filter [it had a few tiny pieces in it, but nothing that would restrict flow]. My pass side Oil control valve stuck or malfunctioned and starved the turbo. If I knew then what I know now, I would have pulled over and "unstuck it" or swapped it for the other side and probably wouldn't be tearing the car apart right now.

Basically the filtered line is for piece of mind and convenience in checking the filter. I'm getting one in case there is some residual junk in the oil, I don't want to have to buy another turbo and, that stock set up is not exactly user friendly.

read this thread for pics and explanation

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/infamous-turbo-oil-line-install-181820.html?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the turbo feed AND the AVCS kit. If you get only the turbo feed line, it would be relocated from the rear oil feed in the block to the front where the passenger-side OCV is. The AVCS line replaces the hard-line with a braided stainless steel line with fire-retardant sheath.

You are supposed to take the intake manifold off in order to do that.... I did not. I took the plastic front pulley cover off for clearance and I cut the hard line with tin snips in order to pull it straight out from under the intake manifold and fed the new line under it. There are bolts that mount the hard line that you can get to.

The turbo feed is easily accessible and serviceable. The turbo-only feed kit comes with a plug to block the old feed line.

If you get a BNR turbo, they require a new oil feed kit for warranty purposes and do not recommend removing the filter to keep the correct oil pressure tolerances on the journal bearings. I don't know if that actually matters, but they probably know more than I do about it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT Tuned by Ed @ XRT
257 Posts
Wasn't there an issue with the Infamous kit where running it on a stock turbo caused the filter elements to fail? I could have sworn I read about that in the last week.

·
Registered
08' XT limited MT
5 Posts
I installed the IP&T kit and new oil control valves yesterday. Straight forward install. I also went with a BNR evo18 turbo and a COBB 3"catted down pipe. My COBB accessport should be in a few days. I can't wait to get a tune on it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I installed the IP&T kit and new oil control valves yesterday. Straight forward install. I also went with a BNR evo18 turbo and a COBB 3"catted down pipe. My COBB accessport should be in a few days. I can't wait to get a tune on it.
Any pics of the oil line kit? Why did you do the 18g versus the 16g?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts