Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have an 08' outback 2.5. 78,000 miles. It keeps throwing a cel, bank one sensor one. I'm new to the Subaru family and looking for any help I can get.
Thanks!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
What code? Several of the SAE codes are divided into banks and sensors, but not all apply.

Post the code as shown on your diagnostic reader and we can try to help.

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish i was the one with a code reader but unfortunatly i do not own one. The dealer who i bought the car from told me it was the 02 sensor "bank one sensoe one". check engine light is on but the car runs fine. if you think i should buy a code reader, wich one would you recomend? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
Hold off on buying one, but maybe take it around to the neighborhood autoparts chain- they will usually read out your codes for free.

It sounds like the dealer is talking about the forward oxygen sensor- the bank # does not apply since the Outback has a merged exhaust.

Get it read, post it here and hopefully you won't have to spend as much.

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rasterman. I will follow your advise and have the code read at the local autoparts store and post with any new info. Your help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went to my local Autozone and had the code read. It came out as P0134. They told me it was the 02 sensor. I got a list of different brand 02 sensors but havent bought anything yet. I wanted to get some feed back before i made any purchase. On a side note, if i did replace the 02 sensor and had a leak somewhere in the exhuast, would it still set off my check engine light? I dont think i have a leak but anything is possible. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You have an open circuit in the front sensor. Check your wires.
Do a search for Subaru Diagnostic codes and then download. Its a large pdf file (264 pages).

O.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
Yeah, check the wiring to the forward O2 sensor. If you're satisfied it's correct, order up a new one. Use the OEM type for the forward one- generic replacements are known to cause trouble.

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, your help has been awesome. I will check the wiring and go from there. This forum is a wonderfull asset.:D

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
You can directly measure the resistance across the heater and see if it is open. If it is, then replace. I am not sure which pins.

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wiring is good on my 02 sensor so I am going to buy a new one. My local subaru dealer says they do not have the part in stock and that it would be 3-5 buisness days before they could get one in for me($179.00).
Is there a recommended online store that I could get the same oem part from? (Part # 22641AA36A)Thanks.

·
Registered
07 OB 2.5i Basic 120,000+ Miles
85 Posts
Try these. since your dealer is out. Interesting that they are using so many of these they can not keep them in stock. I just replaced mine yesterday. Purchased from the dealer and installed by a shop... long story, but I am troubleshooting low MPG after replacing my timing belt.

subarupartsforyou.com
subarugenuineparts.com
rockauto.com

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered from ALLSubaru.com. $134.96. I had done a little research and read they have a pretty good rep. next day shipping cost a total of $180.00. :29:

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I would just like to say all of your help paid off. I installed the new oem 02 sensor two days ago and havent had any issues yet.:D It took about a half hour and was a very easy fix. Mpg's have increased and check engine light has stayed off. Thanks again guys for all of your help.:29:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,462 Posts
The AF sensor life is 75-100k miles, sometimes higher.

If it is plugged in and there are no other codes, replace the front sensor. Use a Bosch or Denso OE fit. After replacement, pull the negative cable to reset the ECM and clear the light or go back to the parts store and have them clear it with the scan tool. The drive cycle should reset all the emission monitors within 25 miles of driving unless the ECM sees a problem in one of the monitor areas.

·
Registered
2008 2.5 liter Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, the part I used was #22641AA36A, the 02 sensor on the down stream. It is a denso 02 sensor ,oem. I dissconnected the negative terminal on the battery prior to doing any work. I removed the old 02 sensor after warming the engine so it was easier to remove. After intalling the new sensor I connected the battery and no check engine light. Its been about twenty drive cycles and the light is still off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts