Subaru Outback Forums banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 Outback with 7,000 miles. I noticed this a few months ago, although it could've been going on longer since it's hard to hear over the radio. It sounds like a tuning fork. Took it to the dealer and they changed the front right wheel bearing, didn't help.

A(when): Left turns
B(where): Front
C(variance): 50/50 most pronounced the harder and more prolonged the turn, especially roundabouts
D(vibes): none noticed
E(drive-ability): none noticed

·
Registered
2 Posts
A. When does the sound happen?
when ingnition is on and brake pedal is pushed.B. Where does the sound come from? it seems to come from behind glove box.
it sounds like a clicking when brake is applied, the car is a 2012 outback le, 30,000 mi, we just had new tires and rear brake pads installed a month or sow ago. When you push pedal it clicks once every time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! I just became the new owner of a 2012 OB 2.5i Automatic with 73k miles. I've had it for about a month now and I have noticed some weird noises. I do not know if they are normal noises or not, I've been driving a 2001 honda accord all my life... anyways here is my description.

NOISE 1

_ When braking

B. Where does the sound come from?

_ Suspension/wheels/brakes

C. Does the sound vary with some condition?

_ Wheel rpm dependent

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?

_ No

E. Does it affect drive-ability?

_ None that I can tell, it seems like my brake rotors are ever so slightly moving when I hit the brakes. It happens when I am reversing out my parking spot then hit the brakes then it happens again when I start going forward and hit the brakes. I am going to see if I can try and tighten up some bolts to see it will stop.

NOISE 2

_ When engine is running
_ On throttle

_ EVERYWHERE!! (J/K)
_ Motor
_ Or the Rear of the car I can not really tell

_ No

_ No

_ None that I can notice right now. After I start my car and start driving for about 15 seconds I hear a slight thunk like something was trying to move but it needed a little more persuading to actually move. Almost sounds like a fan? Or the rear differential? ( I DO NOT know what a bad diff sounds like this is my first car that is AWD )

NOISE 3

_ When engine is running
_ When A/C is running

_ Motor

_ Starts being more prominent when I am at a stop
_ Pretty much goes away when I am moving

_ No

_ No, when I am at a stop with my A/C on I hear a slight squeaking.

Thanks for the help everyone! Like I said I've had my Accord since I was 16 (I'm 25 now) and I have no clue what noises theses things make.

·
Registered
130 Posts

X Over bumps
X In cold conditions (more prominent when it's cold out)

X Rear (Drivers side only)

No just when going over bumps

I mean the noise sounds like trim vibrating or shaking against one another, but it doesn't cause physical shaking that can be felt... although it's hard to tell since it only happen over bumps...

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

It's mostly just a noise nascence, I can't really tell any difference in performance...

2007 outback xt; rear white line sway bar, sway bar lateral locks, railtek end links, kyb replacement struts 15k ago.

It's been going on for a months now, it sounds like a piece of loose trim banging against another piece. I've pulled everything out of the trunk of my car, along with the stuff in spare wheel well and the side cubbies, and it still makes the noise over bumps. I've checked the trunk trim and everything is intact, I'm debating removing all the trunk trim to see if I can better track it down... However from what I've seen I'll need to remove the back seats in order to remove all the trim and don't really want to do that. I previously had a squeaking noise (completely different sound than current one) come from the passenger rear and it was the strut top hat, so I had it replaced along with the struts about 15k at this point. The rattle sound didn't come until a good while after the install, not sure if that helps narrow it down at all.

I've considered mounting a camera in the rear to record the noise if that would help with the diagnoses.. Though at the same time from previously mounting a camera to the window inside, I got a bit of rattle near the mic simple from the road noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2011 GEn4 w/105k. Sounds like a clunk in my drivers seat....
Dealers mechanic cant duplicate, though I hear/feel whenever I drive it. 105k maintenance just performed, suspension checks out.... I can't seem to find anything loose in the seat itself.

_ When turning....any direction

_ At speed - any speed

_ sounds and feels like it's in the lumbar section of the drivers seat. I can't duplicate while stopped. I've previously switched out the connectors for the lumbar support

_severity of the turn seems to make the sound more severe as well.

_ Feel it as a "clunk" in my lumbar

·
Registered
10 Posts
Experiencing a "metallic clunking" noise from my 2011 Outback. Nothing hanging off from underneath from what I can see. Any ideas? Vehicle has about 86K kms.
When does the sound happen?

_ When engine is running
_ When transmission is in some particular gear
X When turning or slightly after turning at low speeds
_ On throttle
_ When braking
_ Over bumps
_ In cold conditions
_ At speed - wind noise

_ Can't tell
_ Drivetrain
_ Front
X Seems to be coming from rear passenger side

_ Body

_ Engine/transmission rpm dependent
X Wheel rpm dependent. Seems louder at higher wheel RPM
_ Air speed/direction dependent
_ Varies according to some other condition

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise? NO

_ Feel it through the floorpan or seat
_ Feel it through the steering wheel
_ Feel it through a pedal

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less) NO...still able to drive fine Does not seem to affect driveability

·
Registered
1 Posts
We need details to help diagnose a problem or determine if it may be dangerous to drive the vehicle.

So, please provide as much of this information as you have:
2008 5speed outback

X When engine is running
_ When transmission is in some particular gear all gears, typically above 20 mph
_ When turning
X _ On throttle (any throttle above roughly 10%)
_ When braking
_ Over bumps
_ In cold conditions
_ At speed - wind noise
not wind noise, sounds like steel toe boot kicking under center counsel
center of car? under center counsel behind shifter
X _ Can't tell
X _ Drivetrain
_ Front
_ Rear
_ Body

X _ Engine/transmission rpm dependent (above 20mph)
_ Wheel rpm dependent
X _ Varies according to some other condition (above 10% throttle)

X _ Feel it through the floorpan or seat (knocking/ rapid thud.)

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less)

car can travel at speed but i am afraid to drive past 30mph due to this god awful noise. I got under the car and looked at the driveshaft center support/carrier bearing, grabbed the driveshaft and was able to move it slightly up and down. not sure if this is the problem considering car only has 106K on it...

edit: forgot to mention the car has driven roughly 50 miles with a spare on it, on the rear passenger side. never above 50mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 L.L Bean Outback - 190k Miles
Noticed a new clicking sound when driving between 30-70 mph (sometimes also clicks more slowly below 30mph)
I lifted the front of the car and shook the wheels - no obvious looseness.
Also used an IR temp gun to check the temp on the axle nuts, no significant difference front left/right.

When does the sound happen?

_ When engine is running
_ When transmission is in some particular gear
_ When turning or slightly after turning at low speeds
X On throttle - while the speed of the clicks is Wheel RPM dependent, the clicking stops when I come off throttle
_ When braking
_ Over bumps
_ In cold conditions
_ At speed - wind noise

X Can't tell - Possibly passenger side?
_ Drivetrain
_ Front

_ Body

X Wheel rpm dependent. NOT engine RPM dependent. Starts clicking at 30mph, clicks louder and faster at 40-50mph, then the clicking both speeds up and quiets down around 70+mph.
_ Varies according to some other condition

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise? NO - at least nothing more than usual!

_ Feel it through the floorpan or seat

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less) NO... does not seem to affect driveability

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so on 97 legacy outback I've changed/re-did the suspension, coil overs, rear and front control arms, I mean everything todo with the suspension. Anyway when I first start to drive it makes all these cracking noises but it goes away by the time I get outta the parking lot.... I've taken it to an empty parking lot beat the crap outta it. I re- torqued everything. No rattles or shackes while driving, just annoying when I first Drive off!.
All aftermarket.
Cooling issue, new radiator, therm, blahblah it gets warm then it'll over heat then at idle it cools down to normal. It goes back and forth.....when i run just the defrost on high it'll blow cold but and other setting blows heat?????? Way lost please help

dabears54

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front of Car Noise

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback with 142,000 miles on it. I recently bought 4 new tires and then a month later had to replace one due to road hazard damage. The previous tires where H speed rating and the new tires are T speed rating. Around that time I started hearing a squeal on an intermittent basis when I exceed
55 Mph (for example I heard it 10 times in 25 miles). The car doesn't seem to make the sound when it is warmer only when the weather is sub 40 temps. Took the car to my mechanic to drive and he couldn't here anything; went to Subaru dealership and they did a diagnostic and drove the car for 10 miles. Both on days when temps where in the 50's. Anyone else ever have this issue and no what is causing it? Both my mechanic and Subaru were inclined to discount the new tires as the problem?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Does noises in interior count? Some squeaks just drove me crazy and rly for long time i thought its my suspension or some stuff just under car .then i thought its something in my trunk moving lil and makes ugly squeak noises.
And my ohh my it turns out just rear seats :/ i no kidding. Rear seats as they leather so when they in seating position they rub kinda into plastic and make that sound that i was crazy about for about year . Lol i folded seats back no noise. I folded them back up noise appears. So i sprayed som silicon spray on seats sides and in places that they kinda move while car drives and miracle, no more squeaks . Rly was that simple. But its just temporary. With time they kinda loose that oily stuff and they become squeak again. But now i know that its just rear seats lol

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
so new problem after couple days driving slower and faster on forest no so bad track rly but after that in front i get rly bad sound on bad road.
so its just when driving no matter what gear or what speed. if road rly good no sound.
on corners on good road no noise too.
but when going slow no matter how slow on some bad road with lots potholes then rly bad sound as clicking and ticking appear. no matter i turn wheel or not . its in front . but cant say on what side , its kinda on both sides or in middle
its metal sound like something cathes some metal or is loose in something ..
so my options cv joints went off. or steering column.
will explain why i think of steering column. because it has sound as clicking inside column. i got under car ant other person was moving wheel to sides short moves and rly so clear clicking sound and its rly coming from column itself. and i got loose feeling little in wheel too. thats lossnes is from steering column.
so can it be just column ? can it makes sound just going potholes or its cv joints.
those sounds just appear 2-3 days ago. just now rly. before all was ok more or less.
cv axle i can just change but what to do with steering column ?
and no sound driving speed bumps. if something is making both wheels go same then no sound. but on small potholes where wheels goes diff directions on both sides then its really scary sounds coming.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi, 2004 H6 - Iv'e got the "front end noise" i.e. awd binding(?) that seems to be a common ailment for outbacks. I'm at 170,000 or so. - It seems people say it's generally the "transfer clutch solenoid" or the "differential." ------------- Is there a way to tell the difference? How are they diagnosed? -- And what is "ultimate failure" like for each case?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Noise question using questionaire

X When engine is running
_ When transmission is in some particular gear Moving forward up a steep incline.
X When turning But also when going forward.
X On throttle and on some coasting, when it starts it's rather continuous.
_ When braking
X Over bumps
_ In cold conditions In any condition.
_ At speed - wind noise

_ Can't tell
_ Drivetrain I don't know.
_ Suspension/wheels/brakes Possibly.
_ Front
X Rear
_ Body

_ Wheel rpm dependent
X Varies according to some other condition After continuous driving uphill, such as when I get to the top of the mountain where I live.

X Feel it through the floorpan or seat Somewhat.

E. Does it affect drive-ability? Not that I have noticed. It just sounds strange. how? A kind of clunky sound coming from the rear. (Essay question, 2500 words or less)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ok so on 97 legacy outback I've changed/re-did the suspension, coil overs, rear and front control arms, I mean everything todo with the suspension. Anyway when I first start to drive it makes all these cracking noises but it goes away by the time I get outta the parking lot.... I've taken it to an empty parking lot beat the crap outta it. I re- torqued everything. No rattles or shackes while driving, just annoying when I first Drive off!
Cooling issue, new radiator, therm, blahblah it gets warm then it'll over heat then at idle it cools down to normal. It goes back and forth.....when i run just the defrost on high it'll blow cold but and other setting blows heat?????? Way lost please help.

dabears54
Sorry for the late reply.

If you haven't already found the solution, I would suggest the sway bar bushings. Very quick fix (maybe half an hour). Remove the end links (maybe easier said than done, but with a through hole socket wrench and allen keys, it should be easy), remove the bushing bracket bolts and swap out the bushings. Most bushing sets come with new brackets too.

The bushings are cheap (<$20) but not readily available at local B&M parts stores so call ahead and get them ordered before you do the job.

As for the cooling issues are you checking under the radiator cap first thing in the morning? Is the coolant full to the top with plenty in the reservoir? When was the last time you replaced the cap or had it pressure tested? A cooling system pressure test kit is usually free as a loaner from most parts stores and you can test the cap with the included adapter too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a used 2014 Outback a few months ago and im getting used to all the the new noises that come along with this car. I was used to pretty quiet vehicles and this one does not seem to be so quiet. I need to know if this is normal. I've linked two videos, one with AC on and the other with AC off. Its kind of a ticking/knocking sound. Do I need to get this fixed or is this yet another "normal" thing?

Love the car, slightly annoyed with all the little nuances.

Thanks!
AC on:

AC off:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine compartment suddenly got very load also P0446

_x When engine is running
_o When transmission is in some particular gear
_x On throttle
At start up and when gassing it gets louder but once in like 2nd/3rd gear if I release the gas and coast the sound diminishes a lot to about the same as idle or a little quieter, also when in neutral from start up I just noticed if i gas it quietes down a tiny bit

_x Front
Seems like all the noise is coming from the engine compartment. It also doesnt really sound like metal on metal or like the engine knocking but possibly exhaust but im not totally sure.

_ xEngine/transmission rpm dependent
Like explained in question 1 it happens immediately at start up and when gassing.

No, I dont believe so though I've always had a slight vibration at higher speeds 65+ or so

It doesn't seem to affect drive-ability at all except for maybe a small loss of power but that could just be because of me not gassing like normal cause of fear of hurting my car and cause the noise is pretty freaky itself.

It's a 2000 Legacy Outback at a little above 200,000 miles. Drove and seamed flawless before this happened.

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts

_x When engine is running
_o When transmission is in some particular gear
_x On throttle
At start up and when gassing it gets louder but once in like 2nd/3rd gear if I release the gas and coast the sound diminishes a lot to about the same as idle or a little quieter, also when in neutral from start up I just noticed if i gas it quietes down a tiny bit

_x Front
Seems like all the noise is coming from the engine compartment. It also doesnt really sound like metal on metal or like the engine knocking but possibly exhaust but im not totally sure.

_ xEngine/transmission rpm dependent
Like explained in question 1 it happens immediately at start up and when gassing.

No, I dont believe so though I've always had a slight vibration at higher speeds 65+ or so

It doesn't seem to affect drive-ability at all except for maybe a small loss of power but that could just be because of me not gassing like normal cause of fear of hurting my car and cause the noise is pretty freaky itself.

It's a 2000 Legacy Outback at a little above 200,000 miles. Drove and seamed flawless before this happened.
copy all this into a new thread that you start,

and in that thread state if this is a automatic or a manual trans.

241 - 260 of 288 Posts
About this Discussion
287 Replies
155 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing