Subaru Outback Forums banner

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Belt chirp / squeal

We need details to help diagnose a problem or determine if it may be dangerous to drive the vehicle.

So, please provide as much of this information as you have:

2011 Outback w/ 122,000 miles.

A. When does the sound happen?
While driving, not at idle.

B. Where does the sound come from?
Belt quick chirp / squeal

C. Does the sound vary with some condition?
Only while driving / accelerating

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?
Feel car jerk, and rpm's rise for a moment

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less)[/QUOTE]
No...mostly very annoying.
Changed idler pulley, tensioner, and belt 2x...to no avail

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts
We need details to help diagnose a problem or determine if it may be dangerous to drive the vehicle.

2011 Outback w/ 122,000 miles.

While driving, not at idle.

Belt quick chirp / squeal

Only while driving / accelerating

Feel car jerk, and rpm's rise for a moment

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less)
No...mostly very annoying.
Changed idler pulley, tensioner, and belt 2x...to no avail
[/QUOTE]

I would call the subaru 800 line and ask them to have your car checked out for transmission issues BEFORE you run out of time, as you are past the 100,000 mile extended warranty,...and if you call the # you are reporting to them you have a problem which may turn out to be the CVT (and the clock is running out for a expensive fix ):

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/429481-cvt-warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was my initial thought. I took it to the local dealership, and they tested it, and said the transmission tested good. That's what lead me to try the idler...and the pulley on the tensioner...then the tensioner...and then the belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2018 2.5i

Only after I start my car up after its been off for a few hours.

Front. Sounds like behind the radio

Like A, Only when I turn the car on after a while, and I'm either driving straight or turning.

Not really, If there is its possibly through the steering wheel.

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

It doesn't affect my driving what so ever. It's just annoying. I have a 2018 2.5i. It started a few days ago.. I set up an appointment with the dealership but I wont be able to go until next Saturday. I've tried looking all over but I cant find someone with this particular problem,

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts

Only after I start my car up after its been off for a few hours.

Front. Sounds like behind the radio

Like A, Only when I turn the car on after a while, and I'm either driving straight or turning.

Not really, If there is its possibly through the steering wheel.

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

It doesn't affect my driving what so ever. It's just annoying. I have a 2018 2.5i. It started a few days ago.. I set up an appointment with the dealership but I wont be able to go until next Saturday. I've tried looking all over but I cant find someone with this particular problem,

Thanks for any help!
Do you dear it from inside the vehicle only or can it be heard more prevalently with the hood up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you dear it from inside the vehicle only or can it be heard more prevalently with the hood up?
I hear it from the inside. It only happens when Im driving. I've waited in park to see if it would make the noise, but it seems only once I start moving. It can be as soon as I start driving or a few minutes later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Outback, around 77,000 miles.

After I turn the engine on and it lasts usually 60-90 seconds or so from that point.

I believe from the front, engine area.

When I accelerate during the above mentioned time period.

Nothing that I can tell.

Not really, just a noise I've noticed. I just had it in for an oil change and multi-point inspection and they didn't say anything was wrong. The only reason I am asking is because I am supposed to be driving from NJ to NC for vacation this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clicking/clock ticking noise from between dash and steering stem

Based on a suggestion from a member, we've drawn up a list of clarifying questions regarding some strange or new noise your car is making.

_ When engine is running *Yes even idling/ with engine off and key on accessory
_ When transmission is in some particular gear
_ When turning
_ On throttle
_ When braking
_ Over bumps
_ In cold conditions
_ At speed - wind noise

B. Where does the sound come from? *from between dash and steering stem.

_ Can't tell
_ Drivetrain
_ Suspension/wheels/brakes
_ Front
_ Rear
_ Body

_ Engine/transmission rpm dependent
_ Wheel rpm dependent
_ Air speed/direction dependent * somewhat
_ Varies according to some other condition

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise? *none

_ Feel it through the floorpan or seat
_ Feel it through the steering wheel
_ Feel it through a pedal

*No.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2015 2.5i Limited

_ When engine is running YES
_ When transmission is in some particular gear Mostly in Drive, when turning
_ When turning Yes, only at lower speeds (in parking lots, turning out of driveway)

_ Front Coming from driver's side wheel well area

_ Engine/transmission rpm dependent Only happens when turning wheel almost to full at lower speeds

_ NO

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (

_Does not have a noticeable effect when driving. The noise is a loud clunk that seems to be coming from the driver side wheel well area when turning the wheel almost fully, at low speeds. (usually 4 noticeable clicks).

Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts

_ When engine is running YES
_ When transmission is in some particular gear Mostly in Drive, when turning
_ When turning Yes, only at lower speeds (in parking lots, turning out of driveway)

_ Front Coming from driver's side wheel well area

_ Engine/transmission rpm dependent Only happens when turning wheel almost to full at lower speeds

_ NO

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (

_Does not have a noticeable effect when driving. The noise is a loud clunk that seems to be coming from the driver side wheel well area when turning the wheel almost fully, at low speeds. (usually 4 noticeable clicks).

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Things to have checked: axle, bearings and control arm bushings. From there it will go in to the front diff.

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Thanks for the response! Is this something you'd recommend going straight to the dealer about, or seeing what my local mechanic has to say?
Either. If its still under warranty it may be something that's covered. If you go to the dealer and they give you a wild repair cost estimate, get a second opinion at an indy shop that works on Subies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Either. If its still under warranty it may be something that's covered. If you go to the dealer and they give you a wild repair cost estimate, get a second opinion at an indy shop that works on Subies.
Great, thanks again! Local dealer wants $150 just to look at it. Seems a bit steep just to diagnose / get an estimate. Especially when I have video with the noise clearly audible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 2017 outback limited 3.6 with 34,000 miles on it. Last night after getting home from work at about 9pm cut the car off and locked it as normal. My son gets home around 130am and hears a noise from the car drivers side rear above the wheel area. Sound like a buzzing hum . He came in and got me. I come out with the key fob thinking i bet my battery is dead but hopped in it started right up. Shut it off and no more buzz sound. It was def an electrical type buzz sound. The temp outside was around 40. I am trying to upload a video of the sound. Turn your volume up. Let me know what u think...i cant get the video to upload. Still does anyone have any ideas about the noise?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hum or buzzing sound with vehicle off

Nevermind, i read about it. Its to do with the gas tank its something that comes on 4-6 hours after car is off and will stay on for up to 15 minutes. Read it on tapatalk and they said its in our car manual that it does this! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 2.5 limited rattle at 17K miles

Any ideas on this one 2018 Outback 2.5 limited with 17k. It’s at the dealer now for diagnosis and I do not like what they are saying....suggesting that the heat vent clips were not attached and this was cause. I’m fairly confident that would rattle when coasting and I feel like the sound is further forward and maybe even underneath.

When does the sound happen - On throttle betwee 1000 and 2500 RPM. Most prevalent in stop and go traffic when feathering the throttle uphill, but now happening more frequently.

Where does the sound come from - Front center, perhaps underneath.

Does the sound vary with some condition - When it’s there it’s there, doesn’t seem to vary.

Is there a vibration - No

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Any ideas on this one 2018 Outback 2.5 limited with 17k. It’s at the dealer now for diagnosis and I do not like what they are saying....suggesting that the heat vent clips were not attached and this was cause. I’m fairly confident that would rattle when coasting and I feel like the sound is further forward and maybe even underneath.

When does the sound happen - On throttle betwee 1000 and 2500 RPM. Most prevalent in stop and go traffic when feathering the throttle uphill, but now happening more frequently.

Where does the sound come from - Front center, perhaps underneath.

Does the sound vary with some condition - When it’s there it’s there, doesn’t seem to vary.

Is there a vibration - No
The sound is kinda low, but it seems to me that it sounds like a metallic rattle similar to heat shields on the exhaust or the undercarriage. The only other thing I've heard like this on the newer generations is loose interior panels, speakers and solenoid activation. You'd be surprised at the number of cars I've heard this type of noise and it was a bad speaker; even with the stereo off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I know what is generally wrong with the transmission, and I won't be getting it fixed due to age and mileage. I'm more interested in how it will fail and potentially how much longer I have left.

Specs:
2010 Subaru Legacy, 2.5i with CVT and 235,000 miles on it. I drive it for Uber & Lyft and put approximately 1000-1300 miles on it weekly. This problem started at 200k and I've been driving it in "manual mode" without issue (avoiding "6th gear").

1. I'm close to needing new tires ($400-500). Is it worth it to put new tires on it or should I try to sell it or donate it now? Other than that, the car runs great (it burns about 1 quart of oil every 5000 miles).
2. If I continue to drive it in manual mode and can keep the noise from happening, could I drive it indefinitely?
3. If/when the transmission finally fails, is it most likely to happen gradually or will it suddenly be completely immobile on the side of the road?

_ When transmission is in some particular gear- yes, when in "6th" gear in manual mode or highway speeds in automatic mode. I'd describe it as a "squeak" that sounds like the combination of a zipper getting zipped up quickly and someone quickly rubbing their finger across the side of a bathtub
_ When turning- no
_ On throttle- yes, when giving it gas and it "kicks down' to get more power
_ When braking- no
_ Over bumps- no
_ In cold conditions- it seems to be worse in cold weather when the car is heating up, but it happens in all weather conditions
_ At speed - wind noise- no

_ Can't tell
_ Drivetrain- yes
_ Suspension/wheels/brakes
_ Front
_ Rear
_ Body

_ Engine/transmission rpm dependent- yes
_ Wheel rpm dependent
_ Air speed/direction dependent
_ Varies according to some other condition

_ Feel it through the floorpan or seat
_ Feel it through the steering wheel
_ Feel it through a pedal- yes, you can feel the car hesitate and "kick down" with a clunk

I can drive it in manual mode and avoid 6th and I can keep the noise from happening for weeks at a time. If I drove it in automatic mode, it would happen every time I pushed the accelerator at speeds over 45-50 mph

261 - 280 of 288 Posts
About this Discussion
287 Replies
155 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing