Subaru Outback Forums banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
@dobotm

Have you had it scanned for stored error codes?
When was the fluid replaced last? Have you considered dropping the pan and replacing the filter?
Have you checked the mounts, front, side and rear?

If it was the torque converter, you'd get shudder on take off and downshifts. You may also feel a shudder as the TCM tries to apply the torque converter clutch after the car starts moving, about 2nd ratio.

If it's the lock up duty solenoid then you wouldn't have AWD, VDC, traction control, and most of the lights on the dash would be lit up. Same with any solenoid issue, the computer would pick up on it. If it's solenoid related, then that would require a valve body replacement.

Since you have all these miles on it, it may be something simple and fairly easy to rectify. If it is the transmission, used ones can be found relatively inexpensive. Down here in Austin I can get them for about $400 with a torque converter. Any one going this route should be sure the fluid system is clean on the car and have new fluid ready to go in, and maybe a relearn.

No one on this forum or otherwise can tell you when/if/how the transmission will fail. It's impossible to determine based on a single post. IF you have codes from the TCM or verify that you've checked physical parts external to the transmission, then it would be a little more toward a good estimation of what's happening and the lifespan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Better throw my hat in the ring. 2011 Legacy 6mt. I don't think my problem is legacy or outback specific. Car is making what I would describe as a scraping or grinding noise:

A. When does the sound happen?

In low gears under brisk acceleration. Almost always 1st gear, usually 2nd, sometimes 3rd if I'm gunning it up a highway on-ramp or something. I can also get it to occur if I'm barely creeping backwards and begin to take off even under light throttle. Sound seems to happen between 1500-3000 rpm. There is no noise on deceleration.

B. Where does the sound come from?

Definitely in front of me, but I can't tell if it's on the left side or more towards the center of the car.

C. Does the sound vary with some condition?

Seems more dependent on engine speed, since I can get it to happen under clutch slippage. Gets more frequent as the car/air warms up, but it will still happen in the cold. As far as I can tell, the noise isn't dependent on wheel direction (doesn't get better/worse if I'm turning the steering wheel).

D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?

Maybe slightly through the body, but not through the wheel, pedals, or gear lever

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

Not noticed.

If it matters, I believe my car also has a bad viscous coupling, as I get pretty severe binding during tight parking lot turns after the car is warmed up.

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Better throw my hat in the ring. 2011 Legacy 6mt. I don't think my problem is legacy or outback specific. Car is making what I would describe as a scraping or grinding noise:

In low gears under brisk acceleration. Almost always 1st gear, usually 2nd, sometimes 3rd if I'm gunning it up a highway on-ramp or something. I can also get it to occur if I'm barely creeping backwards and begin to take off even under light throttle. Sound seems to happen between 1500-3000 rpm. There is no noise on deceleration.

Definitely in front of me, but I can't tell if it's on the left side or more towards the center of the car.

Seems more dependent on engine speed, since I can get it to happen under clutch slippage. Gets more frequent as the car/air warms up, but it will still happen in the cold. As far as I can tell, the noise isn't dependent on wheel direction (doesn't get better/worse if I'm turning the steering wheel).

Maybe slightly through the body, but not through the wheel, pedals, or gear lever

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how?

Not noticed.

If it matters, I believe my car also has a bad viscous coupling, as I get pretty severe binding during tight parking lot turns after the car is warmed up.
How old is the clutch?
What is the condition of your Diff fluid?
Have you checked the CV axles? Bearings?
The viscous coupler could be the source of the noise.
Is the noise loud enough to get a recording on video or otherwise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
How old is the clutch?
What is the condition of your Diff fluid?
Have you checked the CV axles? Bearings?
The viscous coupler could be the source of the noise.
Is the noise loud enough to get a recording on video or otherwise?
I've only had this car about 3 months. I was test driving it during cold weather, and the car couldn't get warmed up enough for any of these symptoms to appear before I bought it. While it otherwise appears in pretty good shape, I'm assuming that the clutch, front driver's side CV joint, and other major mechanical pieces are original (FP CV joint has been replaced at some point). I don't know the condition of any of the fluids, but I'm about to go through and change them all.

If I can get a decent sound recording of the noise, I'll definitely post it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2001 BH OUTBACK (4 CYL)

_ When engine is running YES
_ When transmission is in some particular gear NO
_ When turning YES (LEFT)
_ On throttle YES,POWER ON IN CORNER
_ When braking NO
_ Over bumps NO
_ In cold conditions NO
_ At speed - wind noise NO

_ Can't tell
_ Drivetrain SEEMS LIKE THIS
_ Suspension/wheels/brakes MAYBE?
_ Front YES
_ Rear
_ Body

_ Engine/transmission rpm dependent MAYBE
_ Wheel rpm dependent MAYBE
_ Air speed/direction dependent NO
_ Varies according to some other condition

NO

E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less)

YES, IT'S VERY ANNOYING AND I THINK SOMETHING MIGHT REALLY BRAKE!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
2001 BH OUTBACK (4 CYL)
Is it a growing noise, popping noise, knocking noise?

Noise when turning is generally associated with the wheel assembly or front axle. I suggest you check the wheel bearings and axles.

Next would be the exhaust system. No connections loose, no loose heat shielding, etc.

Transmission and engine mounts would be next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a knocking noise, usually when there is heavy load on the engine (up hill around left hand corner). I have done wheel bearings and transmission mount. I thought I had had the axle done,... but ?
Thanks for the replies

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

281 - 288 of 288 Posts
About this Discussion
287 Replies
155 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing