Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm reading that the Outback has issues with the windshield cracking easily.

Last night I finished a weekend long subwoofer install, and 30 seconds into testing the rear view came off - taking a chip of glass with it!

This is a single 15" sealed (Dayton Reference HO), on 800 or so watts.

I've had much louder systems in various cars over the years with zero problems like this.

Getting the windshield replaced this week - should I be afraid to crank the music up again, or was it just a random thing that happened? Anyone else here have some serious bass in their Outback?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,240 Posts

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Last night I finished a weekend long subwoofer install, and 30 seconds into testing the rear view came off - taking a chip of glass with it!
That's what we call shakin' it, earth-quak'n it ... That beat is hard ...

Get that review shakin'.

:21:

Better than these 2 Bros...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should get a suction cup rear view once the new glass is installed? Just don't want to keep replacing windshields.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,365 Posts
Enjoy it while your ears are still with you!

Used to design and make these sorts of systems decades ago, but between them, and decades rock concerts and race cars, even the stock system in my '03 sounds great now! :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
I thought this thread had something to do with fishing.
(I could not find a funny pic of a bass jumping,...but Asian carp are a menace ).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just now getting the bass fish reference. LOL!

Maybe this is just the first car I've had with a rear view mirror this heavy, so this hasn't happened to me before. I mean the thing is very heavy.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
The windshield is just a piece of "Carp" .

Did ya get the Cr*p reference?

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
That sub is an angry one for sure. But in most cases, a windshield won't be shattered by bass through acoustic pressure.

it MIGHT shatter due to a mechanical resonance on the metal surrounding the glass, but I've only seen that on systems above 135dB. And your sub, while angry, is not that angry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mad Mallard. What about ripping the rear view off, taking glass with it (there's a chip now)? That's what happened here.

Would you risk this happening again if you were me? This really feels like a fluke.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Its an interesting social commentary; while the male of the species goes through these prolific displays of prowess (sports) and noise (loud bass from car speakers) there is a strange sort of attraction that really ends up happening.

It does not attract the female of the species but instead attracts the males of the same species.. Like Greco-Roman wrestling, bass thrumming cars in an empty parking lot are sort of a male-male sexual ritual.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
The windshield is just a piece of "Carp" .

Did ya get the Cr*p reference?
do asian carp taste like crap?

I mean it seems like they should be harvesting them en mass.

(just testing the auto censor).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not had that happen with my sub. Maybe a fluke?
What you got in yours?

Its an interesting social commentary; while the male of the species goes through these prolific displays of prowess (sports) and noise (loud bass from car speakers) there is a strange sort of attraction that really ends up happening.

It does not attract the female of the species but instead attracts the males of the same species.. Like Greco-Roman wrestling, bass thrumming cars in an empty parking lot are sort of a male-male sexual ritual.
Nah. This is just for my enjoyment. To be honest, I mostly listen to rock with it. I just wanted to see what it could do. And then I did.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
That's the thing though - it wasn't that loud.
That alone may be enough to indicate that you already have significant hearing loss. When was the last time you had your hearing tested?

Reactions: TheBlueSubaru
1 - 20 of 38 Posts