Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited 30th Anniversary
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there! i have a 99 outback limited with 146xxx. After loosing all power to my car a couple of weeks ago I first started with changing an aging battery. Nothing changed bothe Battery and Brake lights were still on. Next I changed the alternator and AC belts. Nothing Lights were still on. I tested my alternator and it was putting out 14 amps but had a horrible burning smell. Today I put a new alternator in and the lights were off upon start up, but came back on within 10 mins of idle. Anyone here have suggestions or help to fix this?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
867 Posts
Normally those fault lights paired together on these Subarus indicate that the charging system is inop, way under 14 volts being put out (not amps). What kind of alternator did you install?
#2 to check would be if the 2 halves of the crank shaft pulley have separated, causing the belts to slip and not drive the alternator properly, possible burning smell too maybe...

Reactions: cardoc

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
613 Posts
No experience with 99’s but maybe check your cables from the alternator to battery, fuse box, etc. Maybe you have a loose, corroded or burnt wire not allowing proper charge, or if the alternator has a sensor on it like my 02 h6 it could be reading faulty making the cars charging system not charge right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.