Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was just checking the oil on my wife’s 2018 Outback while getting gas and noticed this. Has anyone else noticed this type of corrosion happening to the battery bracket? Subaru dealer has done all of the service so far. Not sure what’s causing this to happen.
E0A46E0F-3F69-4DFF-AC81-49E279AFDFEF.jpeg

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Dirt and crud on the top of the battery... doesn’t take much to create a path to ground from the positive terminal... and you’ll get a very small constant discharge... enough to make that happen.

I cleaned mine off and just wipe the top down occasionally with either a cleaner or more often just WD-40 on a rag. The battery also gets a lot of dirt and contaminants blown right onto it from the gap between the hood and the headlight - I put some weatherstripping in there to help keep the top of the battery clean.

Just have to check under the hood occasionally and wipe the top of the battery down.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,669 Posts
This may be a sign of leaking battery (cracked battery case). Clean it off with garden-hose and brush.

Then, keep an eye on that area... if if happens again IN THE SAME SPOT.... most likely leaking battery acid.

BTW: cracked battery case usually happens when that bracket is tightened down with too much force. Another cause of leaking battery is hammering a terminal onto battery post. (YES... some people do this)

·
Registered
2019 OB Premium 2.5
9 Posts
This happened to me. I brought it up at my last oil change. They said that the battery was leaking. I got a new battery and hold down bracket under warranty.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,923 Posts
The battery may not be leaking, but it is venting. In this case it may be venting a lot.
Your car is about 3 years old. If the battery is original, it is about done and is consequently being heavily charged while driving hence the greater venting.
Clean it up or replace it as suggested. Have the battery and alternator checked.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,844 Posts
i would clean it off and then sand and paint it and once try put a rubber pad on each side between battery and strap

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring, 2019 Crosstrek Limited, 2005 WRX
286 Posts
Buy some POR 15. A small can will do. Cleanup your hold down bracket’s loose stuff and paint it with the POR. You’ll never have an issue again. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,286 Posts
FWIW, here's a picture of my 2018 3.6R battery. Car has 19,200 miles. Bought it Oct 2017.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,964 Posts
Yeah, I had 2 stock Subaru batteries over the course of 3 years, and, while they were short-lived, neither caused any damage. If you happen to have any warranty remaining, I'd definitely try to get that replaced, and have the charging system checked as suggested. I'm at 110k miles and nearly 6 years now (coming up on 3 with a quality aftermarket battery) and my bracket is still in pristine condition.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R, White with tan interior
86 Posts
I had the same issue with our 2016 with the original battery, when it was under warranty. First I took off the bracket, cleaned and sanded off all the corrosion, and repainted with primer and finish paint. The corrosion came back, so I took it to the dealer and they said the battery was leaking, so I got a new Subaru battery and a new bracket. The corrosion did not come back but in less than 2 years the replacement battery failed (see numerous other threads about substandard OE batteries).
So, I got a larger sealed battery elsewhere and so far (about 4 months), no corrosion or starting problems. I am happy
Jon in Boston
View attachment 507987
Was just checking the oil on my wife’s 2018 Outback while getting gas and noticed this. Has anyone else noticed this type of corrosion happening to the battery bracket? Subaru dealer has done all of the service so far. Not sure what’s causing this to happen. View attachment 507987

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
714 Posts
If you can get it covered under warranty you might as well try.
But if not, an AGM (sealed) will prevent this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
I had corrosion build up around my terminals about 3 years ago, and the battery was only a few months old. I cleaned everything with a solution of water and baking soda, dried thoroughly, and then coated with silicone grease. The corrosion did not return at all, and my battery looks sparkling new.

Silicone grease is safe to use on plastic and is a dielectric (which means it tends not to conduct electricity). Both of these properties are important here: silcone grease will not eat the battery plastic; and it will not create a conductive path between the positive and negative terminals.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My battery had the same issue, it was replaced by a dealer in early 2020 under warranty but they neglected to clean off the bracket. I have mentioned it to my service advisor on 2 separate visits after the replacement and the bracket has yet to be cleaned off as they keep forgetting to do it and I keep forgetting to pop my hood when I pick up my car.

At this point, I am being very petty. Yes, I can simply clean it off with some "coke & toothbrush" or even bring it into my shop and use the battery cleaner/protectant, but its the principle of the issue - the battery was replaced under warranty and consequentially caused the corrosion on the bracket, so they should complete their repair. I have "pre-paid maintenance", so all of the services have been done at the dealer (currently at 33k miles). I should not have to clean off my own battery corrosion, this falls under the workmanship of the dealership, that's why I bought a new car (for warranty) and purchased a maintenance contract (so I don't have to do it).

This is 1 of the main reasons why I now refuse to patronize and try to deter people from using Santa Monica Subaru or any "LA Car Guy" owned dealership..

End rant...

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
My battery had the same issue, it was replaced by a dealer in early 2020 under warranty but they neglected to clean off the bracket. I have mentioned it to my service advisor on 2 separate visits after the replacement and the bracket has yet to be cleaned off as they keep forgetting to do it and I keep forgetting to pop my hood when I pick up my car.

At this point, I am being very petty. Yes, I can simply clean it off with some "coke & toothbrush" or even bring it into my shop and use the battery cleaner/protectant, but its the principle of the issue - the battery was replaced under warranty and consequentially caused the corrosion on the bracket, so they should complete their repair. I have "pre-paid maintenance", so all of the services have been done at the dealer (currently at 33k miles). I should not have to clean off my own battery corrosion, this falls under the workmanship of the dealership, that's why I bought a new car (for warranty) and purchased a maintenance contract (so I don't have to do it).

This is 1 of the main reasons why I now refuse to patronize and try to deter people from using Santa Monica Subaru or any "LA Car Guy" owned dealership..

End rant...
That is also why I never get an extended warranty. I handle maintenance in my little garage as much as possible. Instead of a warranty, I pocket the money for something catastrophic. If nothing catastrophic happens, then the price of the warranty is saved.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,822 Posts
At this point, I am being very petty. Yes, I can simply clean it off with some "coke & toothbrush" or even bring it into my shop and use the battery cleaner/protectant, but its the principle of the issue - the battery was replaced under warranty and consequentially caused the corrosion on the bracket, so they should complete their repair.
I agree, there's principle involved here. But if there's enough corrosion present on that bracket, the battery could break loose and do a lot more damage than just a corroded bracket.

I have "pre-paid maintenance", so all of the services have been done at the dealer (currently at 33k miles). I should not have to clean off my own battery corrosion, this falls under the workmanship of the dealership, that's why I bought a new car (for warranty) and purchased a maintenance contract (so I don't have to do it).
I thought an extended warranty was my least favorite and most-to-be-avoided financial instrument available on a vehicle. That's now in second-to-last position; I now have a new one: maintenance contracts. Let's see what the motivators involed are here:
  1. You sell the maintenance contract to the customer up front for as much as possible.
  2. When the customer brings that vehicle in, you try to talk them into not needing anything - this would be the "downsell" spiel, as opposed to the "upsell" spiel that is used for those customers paying real cash for parts and services proffered.
  3. What they really do need, you still do as little of the work as possible, especially those things that are not on the ordinary maintenance schedule.
  4. And you thus save your service techs' time for instead doing the upsold services that really pay.
I think I've got this right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts