Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched and haven't come up with anything. Im trying to run a wire to power a subwoofer through the firewall. Ive seen ways to do it with a AT but i have a MT. Haven't found many points to go through. Anyone else have any luck?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I did that when running the wires from my driving lights to the switches I had in the cabin. There is an oval gromet on the firewall, drivers side. Run it through there. Put a small hole in the gromet and push the wire throught it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that gromet but wasnt sure to go through it. Ive seen that used for the automatics but not the manual. Looks like theres two tubes already going through. But thats the only access point too. Ill give it a try with a wire coat hanger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh. Wow, by "battery cable" I thought you meant the "battery cable." You just want a power wire. Yeah, there's some kind of grommet (as stated in previous post) in the cars I've tried something like this with (mostly SAABs). Just push the wire through alongside whatever stuff runs through the grommet, you're done.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I saw that gromet but wasnt sure to go through it. Ive seen that used for the automatics but not the manual. Looks like theres two tubes already going through. But thats the only access point too. Ill give it a try with a wire coat hanger.
...be careful...I would use something a little more flexible. You don't want to push it through into the inside of the dash...but it will work. Worked for me

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Ill use that grommet, looks like the best idea. This is going to be my project for the morning!

taiguy, your stereo install thread was a big help with this. Ive been reviewing it a lot and will be running the wires under the carpet too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That grommet is used on a manual transmission. There's two tubes running through it. Thats what I have to see how to get around. I have a manual as well

·
Registered
44 Posts
Message to OP: I want to know how you've finally made it because I'm planning to do the same (wiring my underseat S/O sub from the battery) and I have a MT.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was the grommet I used. Going to use it again to put some flood lights on. Its located on the driver side fire wall. Easiest thing I found was to make a hole with a wire coat hanger. Crimp one end of the coat hanger on the wire keeping it straight and just push the coat hanger through until your wire comes out.

Attachments

·
Banned
165 Posts
Don't forget to put silicone around it,will keep air from coming in and wire from moving I use it by the gallon every month on everything

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks gents. The new antenna and mount should be here Monday. Will the same silicone sealant I use to caulk my windows and tiles work here, or do I need something with heat resistance?

·
Registered
35 Posts
This was the grommet I used. Going to use it again to put some flood lights on. Its located on the driver side fire wall. Easiest thing I found was to make a hole with a wire coat hanger. Crimp one end of the coat hanger on the wire keeping it straight and just push the coat hanger through until your wire comes out.
When standing at the front of the car, facing the windshield, is this grommet to the right of a major pass-through of wires through the firewall?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
musubk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing