Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hadn't driven my 2008 Outback for 6 months and the battery died. I had it replaced but since then the cruise control light and the CEL is flashing. And every time I start the car, I have to hold down the key before the engine starts up. I read on another thread this might clear in two weeks. But I've driven the car for two months and it hasn't.

I went to take the car in for an oil change. It was one of those quick oil change places but he said he would use the OBD to check the codes. But he said his machine cannot even get logged in to find the error code.

I had been going to this one Subaru place I trusted a lot. But then I found out the tech was draining my windshield washer fluid just to be able to charge me $5 to fill it up. It really annoyed me.

I"m not sure where to take the car in or should it go back to the dealership?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
flashing check engine light might be a misfire. how old are the spark plugs in miles / years?

miles on the car?

are the battery terminals locked down 100%,...it is easy to spin them on what feels as tight and not actually get a good contact with the battery.

at only 7-8 years I would hope the terminal ends and their bolts are still physically good,... ...but such may need to be swapped out. as they are borderline going bad and letting the car run like crap,...but run.

___

occasionally people here get bad batteries new,...(defective).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying.

Sorry, I got the date of my car wrong. I got the car new in 2008 and I've only put 25,000 miles on it. I'm not sure about the spark plugs, I do not believe they have ever been changed out.

I appreciate your advice. I will have to go back to the person that changed out the battery. I do wonder if I got a bad battery or maybe the connections are not put in properly. The battery has a 5 year warranty.

The guy at the oil change place said it might be the starter or alternator, but I didn't believe him.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
I updated the year in your first post from 2010 to 2008,

the life expenctancy of the plugs that came with the car are 30,000 miles, / 30 months, and you are way past that in years.

subarus like NGK plugs ....only. the originals are double platinum = NGK 5463 also known as FR5AP11,
2008 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5L H4 Spark Plug | RockAuto

so only like $25 to buy. :smile2:

edit: I would ordinarly think double platinum would last 60,000 - 90,000 miles or more but you are on like 9 years... possibly with a whole lot of cold starts and short trips.

here is a maint. schedule to compare what you might do on the scale in months vs. what is happening .

ultra low miles cars create odd issues that mechanics may not think of. without considering the scale in months.

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

I will check on the battery installation and warranty first. If that is all good, I will go to the mechanic and have the spark plugs changed out. I hope that will clear the code. Everything was working fine before the battery was changed out, so it is grating on my nerves.

Thanks again for your insight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to give an update.

The battery and connections were all good.

Took it back to the mechanic and he couldn't pull the codes with OBD. He said a fuse was blown. Once the fuse was replaced, he could read the codes and the car started up good the first time.

He was surprised the fuse was blown, so I don't know what happened when the battery was changed. Just in case anyone else has this issue, they might want to consider checking the fuse.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts