Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 OB 3.6R Limited Twilight Blue, Nav, Eyesight, Moonroof, Remote Start.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SoA told me today these 2 new warranties went into effect on 01 Sept 2022:
  • Standard & Enhanced Battery Warranty Extension
  • Battery Charging Reprogramming Warranty Extension

Fine print:
Car must be "exhibiting the issue" (won't start I guess) for the warranty to apply
Expires 11 Dec 2023* or 100k miles whichever is sooner
*This might actually 8 years after car left the lot - different for you.

I have been having dead battery issues for years. I detest going to the dealer. They are so slow - keep your car for hours for the simplest thing and ask you all kinds of questions: did you leave the lights on, maybe the battery you installed was bad? Argh!

End of rant, hope this helps someone.

· Registered
2020 onyx x/t outback
41 Posts
SoA told me today these 2 new warranties went into effect on 01 Sept 2022:
  • Standard & Enhanced Battery Warranty Extension
  • Battery Charging Reprogramming Warranty Extension

Fine print:
Car must be "exhibiting the issue" (won't start I guess) for the warranty to apply
Expires 11 Dec 2023* or 100k miles whichever is sooner
*This might actually 8 years after car left the lot - different for you.

I have been having dead battery issues for years. I detest going to the dealer. They are so slow - keep your car for hours for the simplest thing and ask you all kinds of questions: did you leave the lights on, maybe the battery you installed was bad? Argh!

End of rant, hope this helps someone.
Well I don’t know about you but I’m about ready to collect 42+ k on my Subaru x/t for a lemon law.They have just met their match when they ignored a former Subaru tech and tried to dick me around🥵

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Outback . I am the second owner. Purchased 1/2020. I have replaced the battery 3 times now. 5/2020, 7/02/21, 08/21/22. I assume the first battery that failed was original equipment. The vehicle only had less than 30k on it when I bought it. It now has less than 49k. I am replacing batteries every 13 to 14 months on a car that is hardly driven. Just received the Class Action Settlement info for this battery issue. My question is how does Subaru plan on fixing this issue? Just extending the warranty does nothing really. I will be expecting the battery to die one morning around 9/2023 if the past proves the future. Is there no fix Subaru?

· Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
1 Posts
I just submitted my claim, in Ontario, for a battery that I had replaced with a roadside assistance call. I haven't recieved a reply yet. Fingers crossed, I get a reimbursement for a 5 year old battery with 50,000km on it. The website only worked on a desktop computer.
You got 5 years on a car battery? That's quite good, regardless of manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
4,608 Posts
I have a 2017 Outback . I am the second owner. Purchased 1/2020. I have replaced the battery 3 times now. 5/2020, 7/02/21, 08/21/22. I assume the first battery that failed was original equipment. The vehicle only had less than 30k on it when I bought it. It now has less than 49k. I am replacing batteries every 13 to 14 months on a car that is hardly driven. Just received the Class Action Settlement info for this battery issue. My question is how does Subaru plan on fixing this issue? Just extending the warranty does nothing really. I will be expecting the battery to die one morning around 9/2023 if the past proves the future. Is there no fix Subaru?
Have you had the ECU update to change the alternator output to max charging at all times?

If not, try driving with your headlights on as this forces the alternator into “max charging” and ensures the battery gets the maximum charge possible during each drive.

As you are not driving much I am guessing that all the short trips are not allowing the battery to be properly charged which reduces the life expectancy of the battery.

Seagrass

Reactions: Trident

· Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
1,084 Posts
I just submitted my claim, in Ontario, for a battery that I had replaced with a roadside assistance call. I haven't recieved a reply yet. Fingers crossed, I get a reimbursement for a 5 year old battery with 50,000km on it. The website only worked on a desktop computer.
Subaru Battery Settlement c/o JND Legal Administration P.O. Box 91305 Seattle, WA 98111

I did the same thing just for kicks on my 2019.
I replaced battery anyway before I get stranded.
I had the Module for the gate replaced already. TSB.
In 50K miles I only had to jump 2X while in my garage which was 1/2 my fault and 1/2 the fault of an under powered battery.
I d be supplied if I got a check for anything . My only cost was the new battery.

· Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
100 Posts
Have you had the ECU update to change the alternator output to max charging at all times?

If not, try driving with your headlights on as this forces the alternator into “max charging” and ensures the battery gets the maximum charge possible during each drive.

As you are not driving much I am guessing that all the short trips are not allowing the battery to be properly charged which reduces the life expectancy of the battery.

Seagrass
Had similar problems with my 2017 until dealer ran the update needed. This was after a new battery and them telling me there was nothing wrong with the battery and charging system charging system was working properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts