Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an issue for my 02 outback as long as I can remember. The battery hold down is co instantly getting white corrosion, as is the positive battery terminal. I've cleaned it multiple times but it always comes back. Tried baking soda, cocacola, corrosion inhibitors, felt pads, sprays, etc. It tends to creep everywhere around the battery as well. Am I just doomed to keep cleaning it every few months or are there better products/ practices I should be doing? I dont like using anything, but something needs to make some changes.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,156 Posts
Lots of battery outgassing does this. I note the 1/16 date sticker on the corner, so it's probably not age of battery. Is it perhaps overcharging? Have a specialty battery shop test it; it's probably offered for free in your area.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
48 Posts
Lots of short trips? My wife’s car does the same thing. Hers is an 07. I wonder if it’s just the alternator working in OverDrive to try to keep up with a partially discharged battery all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked to levels in the battery?
Otherwise, I would fully disassemble battery clamp, positive terminal and anything else that is contaminated by the corrosion, and preferably replace those parts for new.
If replace is not an option, then soak in water/vinegar mix and brush untill NO trace of white corrosion exists, (think cancer!!).
Also, remove battery and thoroughly clean all the white stuff out of the battery tray and the bottom of the battery. try not to let it get on the paint, it will etch the paint over time.
Reassemble and coat terminal with petroleum jelly.

Also, does the battery specifications match Subaru's specifications regarding battery type, CCA (cold crank amperage), plate count, etc because not all batteries are created equal even though the terminals are the right size and in the right place.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
250 Posts
The next time you need to replace the battery, if you go AGM (sealed) it reduces most/if not all corrosion because they do not offgas.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts