Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a brand new (1100 miles) 2020 Outback XT. Because of the social distancing mandates I haven’t driven the car in 10 days. Went to take the cat to the vet today and the battery is totally dead. Nothing lights up, not even small led’s. Luckily it was in the garage and not locked. I understand about parasitic drains, and I assume this is why the battery is dead. What if I was in an airport with the car locked? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is there a way to unlock the car or at least release the hood if the battery is dead.

·
Registered
'17 3.6 Limited
22 Posts
and don't keep the fob too close to the car as the computer will keep trying to communicate with the fob,

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
So I have a brand new (1100 miles) 2020 Outback XT. Because of the social distancing mandates I haven’t driven the car in 10 days. Went to take the cat to the vet today and the battery is totally dead. Nothing lights up, not even small led’s.
One battery drain issue is if a fob is in the car, or in the garage near the car, as this prevents the car from going to a deep sleep. It senses the proximity of the fob and stays alert. This is a problem if you're camping in your car, or near your car.

Another forum member who had this problem discovered that the spare fob was left in the car. If you're sure the fob had nothing to do with it, I'd contact the dealer and schedule an appointment. There's a new battery that they're using when problems like this arise. The standard battery is 620 CCA EFB and the replacement is 640 CCA EFB.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
446 Posts
I highly recommend you download a digital copy of the manual and practice with the search feature.

As for the battery failure, others have reported longer sit times without seeing a discharged battery. And some have reported similar issues as you reported. I have read that batteries should be able to set on the shelf for two months and still start a vehicle.

There are two different LN2 batteries reported and defined by the amps listed on the battery label. What are the amps indicated on your failed battery?

Recommend you always turn off the fob before leaving the vehicle for a long time. The fob battery will get weak and then fail to open the door. Once you open the door with the key there will remain a problem getting the engine to start. We have spare fob batteries in the cabin just in case. Battery sizes are in the manual if you are interested.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I highly recommend you download a digital copy of the manual and practice with the search feature.

As for the battery failure, others have reported longer sit times without seeing a discharged battery. And some have reported similar issues as you reported. I have read that batteries should be able to set on the shelf for two months and still start a vehicle.

There are two different LN2 batteries reported and defined by the amps listed on the battery label. What are the amps indicated on your failed battery?

Recommend you always turn off the fob before leaving the vehicle for a long time. The fob battery will get weak and then fail to open the door. Once you open the door with the key there will remain a problem getting the engine to start. We have spare fob batteries in the cabin just in case. Battery sizes are in the manual if you are interested.
How in the heck do you "turn off the fob"? I've done a fair amount of searching now, to no avail.

I do have a Faraday-bag, for when I want to leave my key in the car, when I'm out pedaling, and not worry about it being used to unlock (unlocking w/phone upon returning), but this is more akin to keeping it distant from the car, in the house...

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
How in the heck do you "turn off the fob"? I've done a fair amount of searching now, to no avail.

I do have a Faraday-bag, for when I want to leave my key in the car, when I'm out pedaling, and not worry about it being used to unlock (unlocking w/phone upon returning), but this is more akin to keeping it distant from the car, in the house...
Press and hold the lock button on the fob, while holding, press the unlock button twice. Fob will flash 4 times. Fob is disabled until you press a button on the fob.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,781 Posts
So I have a brand new (1100 miles) 2020 Outback XT. Because of the social distancing mandates I haven’t driven the car in 10 days. Went to take the cat to the vet today and the battery is totally dead. Nothing lights up, not even small led’s. Luckily it was in the garage and not locked. I understand about parasitic drains, and I assume this is why the battery is dead. What if I was in an airport with the car locked? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is there a way to unlock the car or at least release the hood if the battery is dead.
Your new car does have roadside assistance. You should call them and have them come out to assist you and it should be free of charge.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Learn to use the manual as suggested. Open the manual then do a search for FOB. Move through the finds until the 101st find shows which will be the manual's printed page #125 which is not the actual document page number (attachment). This took me only a minute to find. Also note P124 description of what the vehicle does, Power Saving Function, to save power when not being used.

Seems that turning off you FOB saves its battery but may not save the car battery until day 5 and 9 or so.

Keep in mind you can unlock using your vehicle's PIN setup if you don't want to continue to subscribe or not carry your phone. You could also carry the key from the FOB as a plan B. The thing I have found about the OB is there are usually 3 different ways to accomplish the same goal.

I have a retired friend that uses his 2018 OB very little so keeps it on a battery tender. Read about the different types of trickle chargers if you decide to take this approach.

Good luck with your battery. A questionable LN2 (all are questionable in my mind) battery that has at least 1 time lost its charge should be checked by the dealer and you should carry a set of battery jumper cables in the spare tire storage cavity.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
I thought holding the fob right against the start button allows the start button to function even with a dead fob battery.
The problem isn't a bad fob battery, it's a bad car battery. If you leave the fob too close to the car certain functions of the car will be left on.

On the turning off the fob issue I turn off our second fob and store it away. That way I only have to change batteries half as often.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,630 Posts
Do people not have jumper cables in their cars? I can get my car started in my driveway with a battery charger and an extension cord. I have a battery tender to trickle charge my battery. I have an AGM battery kicking around I could use with the jumper cables. I have done that with other cars when I was parked at an airport for a few weeks. I also own a jump box but it's so old it won't hold a charge and I should toss it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
644 Posts
Jumper cables, yes. Another vehicle, battery, or trickle charger, no. After hiking a mile and back to get a battery for the last car when it died unexpectedly, plus being an hour late for work, I bought a small battery powered jump starter from Costco as hopefully my solution to future problems.

I'm still tempted to buy a small battery tester and test it once a month as well.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
I have left my key fob s in all my cars, many Subi s, and sometimes a week at a time without starting and never replaced a battery in the first 3-4 years and some went longer. I don t know why.
Leaving the key with the car for a day or two outing should have no effect.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have left my key fob s in all my cars, many Subi s, and sometimes a week at a time without starting and never replaced a battery in the first 3-4 years and some went longer. I don t know why.
Leaving the key with the car for a day or two outing should have no effect.
Did those cars have proximity sensors? That's the difference. These fobs are constantly sending out a weak signal and the car is constantly listening to hear that faint signal. Once the fob is close enough to the car for the car to detect it, the car wakes up and the door handle sensor is activated, the ecu turns on, the interior lights may go on, etc.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
I can tell you some of the cars but I don t know, maybe you do.
2018 WRX, 2017 Outback,2019 Outback, 2020 Outback, a few Legacy s, 18 Porsche Panamera, 18 Macan, 09 911, MB E550 etc etc, I park in my garage and never take the keys out, just saying.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I can tell you some of the cars but I don t know, maybe you do.
2018 WRX, 2017 Outback,2019 Outback, 2020 Outback, a few Legacy s, 18 Porsche Panamera, 18 Macan, 09 911, MB E550 etc etc, I park in my garage and never take the keys out, just saying.
It's a credit to Subaru that in your collection of fine European cars of the highest caliber you choose Subaru to augment the fleet. I don't know what your other cars do, but in the 2020 Subaru, fob proximity is a known battery drainer.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
Thank you and I ll keep that in mind. I was told (online forums) that the other key fob s would drain too and it never happened. As far as collection, LOL, and I don t have them all together but I am not a car snob. I like well built cars and they all have different goals. Subaru has always been a favorite!

·
Registered
446 Posts
The problem isn't a bad fob battery, it's a bad car battery. If you leave the fob too close to the car certain functions of the car will be left on.

On the turning off the fob issue I turn off our second fob and store it away. That way I only have to change batteries half as often.
I don't think anyone suggested it was the FOB. Read page 124 of the manual.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts