Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB Ltd '05 Outback LL Bean 3.0, '58 Ford Wagon
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally left the rear hatch internal light on (bumped when putting bikes in the back) - and have had a ton of electrical issues since.

I've resolved most of the known issues - but one remains. I can't operate the passenger side front window from the drivers side controls.

Any idea what I need to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight; 2012 Impreza Limited 5-door
78 Posts
This will sound strange, but when I first picked up our 2015, the passenger front window wouldn't operate from the driver control panel...until I operated the window from that door's panel. No problems after that. It's like the system had to recognize it again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will sound strange, but when I first picked up our 2015, the passenger front window wouldn't operate from the driver control panel...until I operated the window from that door's panel. No problems after that. It's like the system had to recognize it again.
Thanks. I tried rolling the window down from the passenger side controls - and it worked.

It just doesnt work from the drivers side.

All the other windows work fine from the drivers side.

·
Banned
2015 Outback Limited 2.5i Venetian Red
309 Posts
People talk about doing a battery "reset"...which essentially drains any parasitic charges.

Disconnect both positive and negative terminals from your battery...touch them together to drain off any residual charge and reconnect...

Kind of like when you change batteries on a "smart" device and after you take out the batteries to do a "reset" you press and hold the power button or another of the buttons...it is worth a try.

Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more time: 2015 Legacy/Outback Owner's Manual, page 2-36.
The owners manual didn't help at all.

What I had to do was this:

with the car running completely roll down the passenger window and roll it back up - using the passenger controls. Previously I had partway rolled down the window - just not all the ay.

The process in the owners manual didn't work, no matter how many variations I tried.

This is a bit disconcerting. I really don't want a car with software bugs.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6 Carbide Gray Metallic Package 23 & 5
147 Posts
Mine had this issue when I picked it up new because the battery was disconnected when they installed the remote start. I used the process as described in the manual and it worked perfectly. You should check your driver side window because it most likely does not have the auto down and up working and will need to be reset also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just went through a variation of this problem.
I also could not operate the passenger window from the drivers side after a dead battery event.
It appears, although I fail to find this in the manual (even on 2-36), that the driver cannot operate the front passenger window without the auto close function being activated - at least on my 2015 Outback. There may well be several software versions.

Imagine, if you will:
The various software teams (rear door team, windshield wiper team, etc) having created special functions for every conceivable legal or convenience situation (except the one that applies to you), scramble to meet deadlines; the ultimate hasty meshing of the software team products leads to multiple unexpected glitches; which, when discovered, are sent a trouble shooting team. They slap band-aids on the problems to make the identified glitches not manifest; of course imperiling other already precarious functions. All under the watchful micromanagement a mid-level who doesn't know squat about software - but is desperate to make the problems disappear pronto. Ergo, more glitches.
At some point, however, the product is going out the door, glitches or no. So... it falls to the documentation team, headed by the the once president of the high school English club, and bestowed with a limited understanding of the inherent ambiguities of the English Language and the lack of the average mind to know what he means, to quickly meld the collected and likely conflicting observations and suggestions of myriad teams into the glorious document that occupies the glove box of your new Subaru - to be accessed with stunning frequency. The more egregious glitches are quickly brought to the attention of the dealers; who, in my experience are hapless on software issues, and in turn come to attention of management; on to the micromanaging mid-level previously mentioned. Repeat. Repeat.
But I digress.
On a related note: several cycles of open and close were required before the tailgate operated correctly. I am reminded of Windows Vista which gets balky, and periodically requires a couple of restarts before it will do anything. In the process of dealing with that I learned that if my battery dies while I have my vehicle fully loaded, I will have to unload it through the side doors to access the little access panel on the inside of the hatch to push the little release lever.
There were more than just software teams involved with that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV w/Eyesight in Ice Silver
368 Posts
Imagine, if you will:
The various software teams (rear door team, windshield wiper team, etc) having created special functions for every conceivable legal or convenience situation (except the one that applies to you), scramble to meet deadlines; the ultimate hasty meshing of the software team products leads to multiple unexpected glitches; which, when discovered, are sent a trouble shooting team. They slap band-aids on the problems to make the identified glitches not manifest; of course imperiling other already precarious functions. All under the watchful micromanagement a mid-level who doesn't know squat about software - but is desperate to make the problems disappear pronto. Ergo, more glitches.
At some point, however, the product is going out the door, glitches or no. So... it falls to the documentation team, headed by the the once president of the high school English club, and bestowed with a limited understanding of the inherent ambiguities of the English Language and the lack of the average mind to know what he means, to quickly meld the collected and likely conflicting observations and suggestions of myriad teams into the glorious document that occupies the glove box of your new Subaru - to be accessed with stunning frequency. The more egregious glitches are quickly brought to the attention of the dealers; who, in my experience are hapless on software issues, and in turn come to attention of management; on to the micromanaging mid-level previously mentioned. Repeat. Repeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYodWEKCuGg

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts
The owners manual didn't help at all.

What I had to do was this:

with the car running completely roll down the passenger window and roll it back up - using the passenger controls. Previously I had partway rolled down the window - just not all the ay.

The process in the owners manual didn't work, no matter how many variations I tried.

This is a bit disconcerting. I really don't want a car with software bugs.
Isn't that what the owners manual says to do? Roll it down with the passenger side control then roll it back up, holding the control for like 10 seconds?
If it worked, then there's nothing wrong with your car...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issue after having mine in for some body work thanks to a particularly aggressive door "ding" ($1,500 worth) and a body shop numbskull that killed the battery.
Had no idea what was going on so I just drove over to the dealership, told them what was going on and the performed the black magic voodoo reset sequence. I wish I would have paid more attention or written it down or something, but it was one of those Twister deals, right foot red and so on. So that's a relatively easy fix if you don;t mind going to a dealer. Took about 5 minutes.

I like tech and nice things, but I often long for the good old days when a car had about 14 parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts