Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Outback, has all of 500 miles on it. I parked for a week at the airport, and I guess I left a map light on, because when I got back, the battery was COMPLETELY dead. I thought there was an automatic shutoff?

Anyway, I got a jump start and things are fine, except that now the drivers window no longer has an automatic up and down - you have to hold the button. No idea if these two things are related. Anybody seen anything like that? I'm going to take it to the dealer if I can't figure it out.

Related note - how does the iPod control work? I plugged my old video iPod in, and it just says charging. Nothing else seems to show up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
no experience with the problem you are having with the power window on my '12 outback...

but my parents have an '04 lexus rx 330 that had a similar problem.

the battery died, we replaced it (it was approx 5 years old) and all four one touch up/down windows would not work with a single push/pull.

i let it sit for a week and when i tried it the next week all four one touch windows worked.

so, my advice, give it a few days and try again :)

for the ipod... i have an HK radio, plug the ipod's usb cable into the USB port in the arm rest and hit the aux button. you should be able to select your music from the head unit.

good luck and report back.

joel

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
IIRC it has to relearn the auto part. Somebody reported it before. It's in the manual somewhere but I can't find the thread that references it. Anybody??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IIRC it has to relearn the auto part. Somebody reported it before. It's in the manual somewhere but I can't find the thread that references it. Anybody??
Aha! I should have just RTFM, I guess. Under "Window" in the index, it has a section on activating automatic up/down:

Thanks!

EDIT: It looks like the mystery of the map lights is in the manual, too, page 2-8:

*1: The map lights can be controlled by the battery drainage prevention function only when the map light switches are in the OFF position and the door interlock switch is in the DOOR position.

Maybe I'm confused, but if the Map light switch is in the "OFF" position....aren't the lights OFF? If the lights are off, how is that battery drainage prevention?

In addition to the map lights, the dome and cargo area lights are also only protected by the battery drainage prevention when the switches are in the DOOR position. So that means that if the doors are shut, the lights are off, and no protection is needed. If the doors are OPEN, the "Step Lights" are on and NOT protected by the battery drainage prevention function, so the battery is going to die anyway (not that anyone should be leaving their car with the doors open for days anyway).

I'm a little miffed at this "feature" (or lack therof, really). I've not once had the battery die due to leaving an interior light on in my Jeep, but within 2 weeks of buying my Outback, I killed it. Partially due to it still being an unfamiliar vehicle, I suppose, but partially due to this dumb lack-of-feature.

In my jeep, the normal light control switch could control the dim of the interior lights, and if you turned it all the way up, the interior lights would all turn on. Very useful. Also, the map lights all operated independently and ALL had the 20 minute auto-off feature.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was hit by this problem this week on my 2015 OB. On Saturday I was mucking around trying to fix the FM antenna, and left the map light on. Monday I was leaving for work and the car was dead. I was surprised since I thought it was supposed to turn off the interior lights if they were left on. So I worked from home Monday. Then Tuesday I rolled-up to my company's security gate, hit the window button, grabbed my access card to wave at the reader, and saw the window was still up. I quickly realized that the auto-down wasn't working, which TOTALLY messed-up my timing going through the gate. LOL

But there was another twist for me: I reset the auto-down function as described here. But then I found that I could not work the passenger window from the driver's side at all! I knew that would be too much coincidence for the passenger window or its switch to have died right after the dead battery. So I went through the reset procedure, but I had to use the switch on the passenger door to do that. Once it was reset, the driver-side control for the passenger window was working again.

It looks like the mystery of the map lights is in the manual, too, page 2-8:

*1: The map lights can be controlled by the battery drainage prevention function only when the map light switches are in the OFF position and the door interlock switch is in the DOOR position.

Maybe I'm confused, but if the Map light switch is in the "OFF" position....aren't the lights OFF? If the lights are off, how is that battery drainage prevention?
This seems that it's more like marketing hype than an actual feature, since the turning off of the interior lights only happens under a very narrow set of conditions. And in checking into this some more, apparently it doesn't turn off the step lights, so even in the situation where it does turn off the overhead lights, it's not going to keep you from getting a dead battery... it will just happen a bit more slowly. And how many times do people leave a door open for days without noticing. As a % of times that someone left an interior light on, it's got to be a small fraction.

But beyond the annoyance, making people think they have a feature to prevent the interior lights from killing the battery gives a false sense of security when you look at how rarely it's actually going to help them. The Marketing department should also say it has a "Fuel Starvation Prevention" feature that makes it impossible to ever run out of gas. Then the fine print can tell you that this feature only works with the engine off. >:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aha! I should have just RTFM, I guess. Under "Window" in the index, it has a section on activating automatic up/down:

Thanks!

EDIT: It looks like the mystery of the map lights is in the manual, too, page 2-8:

In addition to the map lights, the dome and cargo area lights are also only protected by the battery drainage prevention when the switches are in the DOOR position. So that means that if the doors are shut, the lights are off, and no protection is needed. If the doors are OPEN, the "Step Lights" are on and NOT protected by the battery drainage prevention function, so the battery is going to die anyway (not that anyone should be leaving their car with the doors open for days anyway).

I'm a little miffed at this "feature" (or lack therof, really). I've not once had the battery die due to leaving an interior light on in my Jeep, but within 2 weeks of buying my Outback, I killed it. Partially due to it still being an unfamiliar vehicle, I suppose, but partially due to this dumb lack-of-feature.

In my jeep, the normal light control switch could control the dim of the interior lights, and if you turned it all the way up, the interior lights would all turn on. Very useful. Also, the map lights all operated independently and ALL had the 20 minute auto-off feature.
Relevant to my recent issue with map light draining battery overnight. We do NOT have the dome lights set to DOOR. Does this mean when a light is left on, we're susceptible to battery drainage with NO drainage protection, just because of the switches not being set to DOOR (they're set to OFF) ??

I'm learning, but we also have a 2015 so please LMK if this has changed since gen 4.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I tested this when it was new, Gen4 so it’s been a while.
IIRC all the map/dome/cargo lights are on batt-saver when set to Door. The oxymoron with Door setting is it does not kill the front door/edge puddle light when ajar.
I believe, again IIRC, the dome will batt-saver/kill whether in On/Door position (map On won’t). The visor is always on anytime the flap is open.
You can easily test these, it doesn't take too long for the batt-saver to engage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
GasGuzz
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing