Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post a positive report about the battery in my one-month-old 2018 Outback Premium (with regular keyed ignition). The car sat in my garage for 11 days in temps from the 30s to the 50s and roared to life on the first turn of the key. Didn't hesitate. Wasn't dead.

And FYI, this car is driven one mile each way to the train station every day, so it's not a highway car getting a strong daily charge.

With so many battery complaints here, I thought some lurkers might find it helpful to know my battery is good.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
you are playing with fire
sure, this time it was OK
keep doing it, it will be dead as a doornail (may take 7 or 8 years, but mark my words, eventually it is going to be dead)

excuse me while I extract my tongue out of my cheek

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
92 Posts
The thing to note is that you have the keyed ignition, not the FOB one. Seems like the car watching for FOB and FOB stored too close to the car are factors in battery life. Glad you don't have a battery issue though. I haven't yet, but I'm still driving mine a couple of times a week. Once the new wears off, it'll be like my old truck and may sit a couple of weeks. I suspect at that point I'll be looking for a stronger battery.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
70k+ on my original battery and no issues. Typically always parked outside and have left it for over a week outside in below freezing temps with no abnormal issues. I have a jump-starter just in case but I'm not too concerned at this point.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,197 Posts
I was driving along today and the gas gauge showed just under a quarter tank and the MTE display showed 80 miles left. I pulled into the gas station along my route home and realized I had made it without running out of gas.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
I was driving along today and the gas gauge showed just under a quarter tank and the MTE display showed 80 miles left. I pulled into the gas station along my route home and realized I had made it without running out of gas.
That's why they call you Danver Dangerously. :wink2:

Reactions: Danver

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
My 2016 sat from March 24 until this morning (April 19) and started right up. Limited with "key fob".

Well, I did move it in the driveway twice during that time. But it didn't run long enough for the engine to come off fast idle.

A year or so ago it sat for 3 days and was discharged to under 5V. Charged it with a dumb charger (smart won't try if its that low). Dealer tested and proclaimed all was fine. And it has been.

I don't think the "problem" is the battery, I think its something far worse. Something random in the Outback will suck a battery dead. Perhaps Starlink telemetry or mandatory EPA testing (for instance the gas tank seal is tested with a pump 5 hours after turning the vehicle off).

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,176 Posts
On another positive note I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night for a pee. Then again I can't remember the last time I did, I must have dementia.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited Eyesight 2001 Honda Cr-V 287k miles 1984 Mercedes 280SL red w/5 speed manual
19 Posts
I got my new 2018 2.5 Limited with FOB on 13-Feb-18. I moved it once out of the garage, it sat for well over a month and then drove it for the first time about a week ago. Started fine and all was well. But just in case, after reading all the battery issues, I did purchase one of those small battery packs from Costco just in case...

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
You could also buy a little 7-10 watt solar panel (about $20 at Walmart) and attach it to sticky suction cups inside of a window and wire it in to the battery through an in-line fuse. That is only going to deliver less than 1 amp to the battery so you will not overcharge or cook it.

Even with tint it will charge, just very inefficiently.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
301 Posts
Nobody laughed at or criticized my stock roof rack today; but then again, I haven't gone anywhere today . . .

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
49 Posts
I just came back from a 3 week vacation in Europe.
2018 Touring OB 2.5. Bought in October 2017. Original Battery. Started fine after 22 days sitting in garage.

I also have 2 dash cams that would run if motion detected. Being in garage, probably not much motion unless bugs. The camera is connected to a box that will disconnect it if the battery voltage would drop under 12V.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,197 Posts
I recently returned home after a vacation trip visiting family. After just under 2,000 miles I didn't experience any dead battery, broken windshield, or peeling paint.
And I didn't run out of gas even once.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,812 Posts
For 6k miles, my OEM battery has been boringly reliable. Most days, I use my Outback for 5 mile trips here and there. About every three weeks or so, it goes on a longer road trip. I left the dome light on all night one time. The car started fine. I just replaced the battery and interior lights, because I was bored and not because of necessity. I might have to buy another car that gives me more problems, because I like tinkering and fixing things.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Mine has been fine for a month of roughly daily driving

take that consumer reports dependability survey

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
My car has been reliable for all of it's 2000 miles

My GM product exploded at that mileage

Subaru love!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
My windshield hasn't cracked.

My battery did give me trouble so I replaced it. I was reimbursed.

I had a flat tire on the factory tires. The scissor jack was not tall enough to take the spare off so I used a rock and now carry scrap 2x4 to account for the height difference.

My car isn't burning any oil and I used Wal-Mart brand conventional and will maintain 5k intervals and OEM filters.

The only thing that shows any rust is the lift kit and the hitch.

36k on the 3.6 now. Will have an oil analysis done when I change it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts